Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
My last 100 yard 3 shot group with my cheap ugly Savage Edge/Axis 7-08. I was just verifying zero before a 60 acre wood lot hunt. The one at 5'oclock was the fouling shot. I figured after the next two, the point was proven;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's is great using factory ammo. Get that warm fuzzy feeling when you have a day like that. Now don't let anybody touch you gun... wife, kids, grand children. I have a 243 that will group like that and have a lot of fun teasing my wife about it. She must ware white gloves if she wants to touch it. A turkey feather most be waved over the case before it's opened.
One day we may have a fight and she will kick the case just to get back at me.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Ummmmmmm, so you got an ugly rifle that shoots great? Well being how it is a SAVAGE I am not surprised one bit. ;) Those Savage rifles in the past 5 years have impressed the dicken's out of me, as far as accuracy goes. Savage makes very nice rifle, some really good shooting hardware they are indeed.:cool: :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Savage Mdl 110L in .270 I bought in 1960. It still shoots groups in the 1/2-1 in. range. They are great guns. The new ones follow the 110 models just updated with new triggers.

That is one fine looking Savage!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have a Savage model 10 in 22-250, it shoots 55 Gr V-Max behind IMR4895 into tiny groups. I haven't done one single modification to it.

·
Banned
255 Posts
A 3-shot group doesn't say much but if you get a bunch of them from the same point of aim...

I can't say too much about .308 Win and 7mm-08. They are just fine cartridges. Not too long. Comfortable with high pressures. A bore not too large for varminting but still effective for deer. Above all, if you do your job, accurate enough. I remember when I was young, I bought a .308 instead of .30-'06 because I was afraid of recoil. I've never regretted that choice. That rifle still shoots better than I do and we're old.

I don't think it's anything particular about Savage. I've seen a lot of rifles from Winchester, Remginton and Savage that do the job. I think to stay in business, manufacturers have to produce a reliable product and to improve profitability, they use quality control measures that are hard to beat. At the same time our choices of powders have improved. Brass is wonderful and so are primers. There's just less to go wrong if you have so many good components in your shooting system.

BTW, if you are shooting a mass-produced rifle for consumers, it's not likely to be perfect, so you could improve it some by handloading. The beauty is you have many more choices of bullet and powder and primer and case-preparation. One key thing is that commercial ammunition has to fit in the tightest chamber (SAAMI specs) so, it probably rattles around a bit in your rifle. If you take that fired case, it will fit the chamber better. Clean, reprime, and resize the neck and your brass is better than commercial. Then add the right powder charge and bullet to give your best group. You can cut the group size in half. There is a downside. You have to shoot at longer ranges to see the group. That takes more walking... :)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have a Savage Mdl 110L in .270 I bought in 1960. It still shoots groups in the 1/2-1 in. range. They are great guns. The new ones follow the 110 models just updated with new triggers.
It's a shame they stopped making the Stevens 200. It WAS a Savage Mdl 110 without the accu-trigger. The stocks they came with are not the best, but for $200-$250, they made great project guns and of course include the option for Savage barrel swaps if you are so inclined. Those original triggers are easy to touch up if you know what you are doing and certainly simple for a good smith. Mine will shoot better than I am capable most days (sub 1 inch) and I have maybe $325 in it after getting a new Houge stock. I am sure there are plenty of used ones sitting on racks for less than $300. Anyone considering buying a new Axis should consider this option. I own one of each and like the Stevens 200 better. My Axis shoots lights out as well, but the scope mounting holes were misaligned from the factory and I had to go with Millet Angle Loc adjustable rings to get things lined-out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was a bit skeptical of the Axis. Then i saw a heavy barrel 22-250 Axis on the rack and nought it. Its a really sweet shooter. I was getting half inch groups with boring consistency. This is after cutting a coil and a half off the trigger spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts