Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Having bought, sold, traded and shot the heck out of centerfire hunting rifles for 50 years now I will say with confidence that the average out-of-the-box cheapo hunting rifle of today will outshoot the average out-of-the-box, top-of-the-line sporters of yesteryear hands down, regardless of their unquestionably inferior aesthetics.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,161 Posts
you tube videos are discouraged due to possible unauthorized advertising.

RJ

·
Registered
342 Posts
Having bought, sold, traded and shot the heck out of centerfire hunting rifles for 50 years now I will say with confidence that the average out-of-the-box cheapo hunting rifle of today will outshoot the average out-of-the-box, top-of-the-line sporters of yesteryear hands down, regardless of their unquestionably inferior aesthetics.
I had the opportunity to site in a couple of youth models last fall. Both in 243 win. They performed vary well with factory ammo and were even more impressive with handloads. i share your sentiments about the Axis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree , having shot the axis in .223 for the last couple years it does amazing with handloads and the whole argument about the "cheapo" plastic mags is a non issue, I have used my original mag in every conceivable situation, -30° C coyote hunts to +30°C gopher sessions, and I havent had a lick of trouble yet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have to agree with pisgah, most out-of-the-boxers shoot well enough to be okay on paper and take game. I've sighted in hundreds of new rifles over the years and typically have very few accuracy problems. I'd always give the owner their target and tell them to practice. You should do okay with the Savage,

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'm currently shooting six high-power rifles. All six are MOA capable with the right load, a solid rest, and good trigger pulls. Two are "cheap" Savages - a Stevens 200 and a Savage Axis. They cost me $434 combined ($199 and $235 respectively). Each will shoot as well as any individual rifle I own or have owned that cost $500 or more. I strive for rifles and loads that will shoot 1.5 inch 3-shot groups at 200 yards. If you can get that for less than $300, I don't care if they are ugly or not! It leaves more money for better optics!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought a Savge edge, before Ford had a hissy over the name,got the rifle with a burris 3-9x40 & soft case for $320. I was get 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100, it was a 22-250.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I bought a Savge edge, before Ford had a hissy over the name,got the rifle with a burris 3-9x40 & soft case for $320. I was get 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100, it was a 22-250.
Yeah mine was an Edge too. I never knew why they changed the name. Seems dumb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently acquired an Axis in .223 caliber, and the trigger-pull was too hard. This was a basic model that you couldn't modify the pull on, and of course it didn't have the accu-trigger. In the vise, it shot great, but I got rid of it. I love the older Savages.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I recently acquired an Axis in .223 caliber, and the trigger-pull was too hard. This was a basic model that you couldn't modify the pull on, and of course it didn't have the accu-trigger. In the vise, it shot great, but I got rid of it. I love the older Savages.
Dang, I wish I had known you. I want a bolt .223 and those triggers are simple to safely adjust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a savage axis in a .270 and I modded my trigger as per the YouTube video about 6 months ago and added a boyds featherweight stock and my savage shoots better than my browning xbolt although the boyds stock never helped it any it just looks a lot better. Just goes to show even the cheap low budget rifles out there will perform just as good as the high end ones

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased an Axis in 223 about a year ago. I have nothing but praise for the rifle. Accuracy is excellent and it lends itself well to shooting varmits. I have noticed an upsurge in after market parts including lighter weight trigger springs, tactical bolt handles and even extended magazins. I am quite happy with mine the way it sits but for 15 bucks I may indulge in the lighter trigger spring. I also agree with the statement that out of the box "starter" rifles of today out perform many out of the box expensive rifles of yesterday. I like it so much I will be buying one in .308 soon. I may spring for the Axis II though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts