Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son decided to buy his own rifle for NRL22 a few weeks back, he looked at the Ruger as well but the stock and better trigger on the Savage swung it in their favor. He bought the Vortex Diamondback 6x24 for his optic. He works quite a few hours so he has me doing the check ride on his new rifle, I'm okay with that!
Never having owned a chassis stocked rifle of any kind I'm ambivalent towards them.
The high points.
1. First off is the gun is a pretty good deal, 500. for it which included the MTD stock which is 350.-400. if you can find one.
2. The trigger is outstanding for a gun in this price range, I haven't put the scale on it but it's probably under 2lbs and crisp.
3. The action is very smooth, it was dry as a bone and difficult to work but a little cleaning and greasing combined with working it a few hundred times has it feeling very nice.
4. It feeds from the magazine very smoothly.......to smooth, see the low points.
The low points.
1. Accuracy is okay although yesterday was absolutely awful range conditions, I was shooting in a wind tunnel, it switched back and forth several times from 6 o'clock to 11 o'clock running on the low end at 6mph to over 20mph. I tried not to shoot during the gusts but gave up a few times and shot anyway.
2. Those Savage magazines suck, I'm not a fan of rotary mags anyway and these are real thumb busters. My thumb is still sore today from loading maybe 150rds yesterday.
3. Remember in the high points I mentioned how smooth it fed from the magazine, you cannot tell when the magazine goes empty, closing the bolt feels the same on both feeding a cartridge or closing on an empty chamber. That is irritating, the mags hold 10rds which will work out well in most stages of NRL22 so it's probably not an issue during matches but in practice I dislike dry firing 22lrs without an empty in the chamber to slow the firing pin down.
4. The magazines are solid black, there's no way to tell how many are left in one or whether or not it's actually full or just being difficult to load.
5. When you dry fire the gun there's definitely a vibration that can be heard and felt through that metal chassis stock, thinking that it could really benefit from a barrel de-resonator.
So most of my complaints are magazine related, not sure if there are clear ones available but that would help.
I shot some CCI standard velocity and Aguila super extra, decided because of range condition not to waste a bunch on paper targets. packed up and went over to the NLR range and checked to see if the scope had enough elevation in it to dial 200yds, it didn't. Needs a 20 moa rail.

Premium Member
I appreciate your honesty and reporting. Seems some of those issues can be worked out? I hope you get the opportunity to shoot again, under more favorable conditions. I look forward to that. Best of Luck.

Reactions: Kevinbear

Premium Member
First thing with a new rifle. Look at the crown with a 20x glass.

Registered
Kevinbear, Congrats on having a son that's interested in firearms enough to select his 'own'.
I've owned a B22 FV (not Precision) and have dealt with some of the magazine issues. RE issue #2, I filed and polished the opening on the mags (I have 6 now) to remove that 'thumb cutter'. Pic below tho I'm sure you may have figured this out already. Also, you can 'un-wind' the mag spring to relieve tension, just 1/2 turn less does the trick and it even feeds OK to 'keep up' in my A22 semi. This makes it easier to load, too. (see attached doc for steps on 'un-winding')
As for points #3 & 4, you have to 'count' shots unless you follow my plan - I load (first in, last out) a snap-cap in place of the last shot to avoid the dry-fire. This might be a problem in competition, so then back to counting.:(
Sorry this is a month late, I don't check this forum regularly - too much going on.
Automotive design Creative arts Bumper Electric blue Personal protective equipment

Attachments

Registered
2. Those Savage magazines suck, I'm not a fan of rotary mags anyway and these are real thumb busters. My thumb is still sore today from loading maybe 150rds yesterday.

4. The magazines are solid black, there's no way to tell how many are left in one or whether or not it's actually full or just being difficult to load.
Yeah, that's a bad combo. Gotta un-wind mag a bit I guess. Other than that solid overview, hopefully your son is happy with the rifle!

Also, Vortex Diamondback choice definitely gets my respect!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts