Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Savage Edge in .243 in early fall. When shooting it we would load the magazine, shoot, and had no problems extracting the fired cases. However, I recently discovered that it will not extract a live round. The bolt handle will lift, but the bolt cannot be pulled back. If I shoot, the spent case easily extracts. Kind of unsafe and pretty inconvenient. I know its a problem and needs to be corrected but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I have one in 7-08. I have never had any extraction problems. Are these factory loads you are shooting?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
call savage customer service and ask to speak to a tech, explain the issue to them and listen to what they have to say. it is a new rifle so i would not take it to anyone to have it tweaked beofre talking to the savage service department first. if they need to see it have THEM call in a UPS pick up order and have the rifle picked up from your house for repair. they did that for me on my new savage a few years back and i had it back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I second what Jim H said. You either have a bad extractor or more likely too tight a chamber/throat it sounds like. If you know anyone else who has a box of .243 factory loads (different from your's) you might try to cycle a few first just to make sure you didn't get a bad lot of ammo before sending it to the factory.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
BTW on the reverse side of this, just a few weeks ago a friend of mine was having issues with extracting spent casings. it turns out a comdination of a dirty/rusty chamber and a weak extractor was the culpret. when he removed the extractor he found that there was no retention ball between the extractor and the spring that is to keep the extractor from slipping off the case. luckely he had ordered a complete extractor, spring and retention ball from savage and after replacing he was good to go. he did then also to my advise clean his chamber with a chamber brush, kroil and then polished up with a bit of Flitz. you could try spraying your bolt head and extractor area down with a good penetrating cleaner and then after letting soak blow it out with compressed air to see if that helps. that is about the only thing i would do other than making sure the extractor has not moved any from where it should be without sending it into savage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have noticed that Factory Winchester loads have a longer OAL than Remington and Feredal. Shoting from the hip here but it may be sticking in the lands. If this is not the problem I agree with Jim.... send it back. I'm interested in hearing what you find out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll talk to Savage first, see what they have to say, and go from there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke to Savage and explained problem. He suggested that chamber should be thoroughly cleaned and see if problem still exists. I'll try , though he didn't seem to appreciate that it was a new gun. Need to be someplace where I can fire the weapon because if the live round continues to stick I either need to shoot or be stuck with a loaded gun. Haven't got my hands on any other .243 ammo to see if other loads won't stick. Not feeling like a second Savage firearm is in my future.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Spoke to Savage and explained problem. He suggested that chamber should be thoroughly cleaned and see if problem still exists. I'll try , though he didn't seem to appreciate that it was a new gun. Need to be someplace where I can fire the weapon because if the live round continues to stick I either need to shoot or be stuck with a loaded gun. Haven't got my hands on any other .243 ammo to see if other loads won't stick. Not feeling like a second Savage firearm is in my future.

Sorry for your issues. My guess is the bullet is being jammed into the lands and acting like anchor. Once you fire it, the anchor is gone and the bolt will work.

On another note, for basically the same price, you could have bought a Marlin XS-7 and had a much better made gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't hate on the entire brand just because of the Edge, no offense meant at all to the OP's rifle but I don't know why Savage introduced the Edge when they had such a good thing going with the 110 and it's variants, I hope it doesn't turn into another Remington 710/770.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Don't hate on the entire brand just because of the Edge, no offense meant at all to the OP's rifle but I don't know why Savage introduced the Edge when they had such a good thing going with the 110 and it's variants, I hope it doesn't turn into another Remington 710/770.

Savage brought out the edge/axis because Marlin's "X" guns were killing their sales. My local shop last summer could hardly sell a Savage or Remington, but they were selling the heck out of the "X" guns. Marlin's $300 was out preforming guns costing hundreds more and it continues to do so today.

Where as other MFGS made cheap guns to generate sales, Marlin made an expensive gun inexpensively.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Savage brought out the edge/axis because Marlin's "X" guns were killing their sales. My local shop last summer could hardly sell a Savage or Remington, but they were selling the heck out of the "X" guns. Marlin's $300 was out preforming guns costing hundreds more and it continues to do so today.
I don't think that trait is purely Marlin's to claim. My $199 Savage Stevens 200 routinely out shoots $800 rifles. I wouldn't wouldn't trade my Howa 1500 for any Marlin X gun ever made. I do love some of their lever guns though.

Let's just hope the new management company doesn't screw Marlin up. Likewise let's hope S&W doesn't screw T/C up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Too late. S&W screwed up T/C. Shut the plant down here in NH where it all started. 250+ people out of work. It's too bad. One more iconic American firearms manufacturer gone. You know, kinda like the Edsel. Owned by ford and eventually fased out.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Too late. S&W screwed up T/C. Shut the plant down here in NH where it all started. 250+ people out of work. It's too bad. One more iconic American firearms manufacturer gone. You know, kinda like the Edsel. Owned by ford and eventually fased out.
Yes that is too bad. I have three T/C and they all are well made and accurate. I hate to see them messed with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts