Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Savage 93R17 (Thumbhole stock/bolt gun) It is very accurate, but simply will not feed 1st or 2nd round from 5-shot mag without force/and-or damage to bullet nose. I bought a 2nd magazine, for same model but obviously long time on shop shelf (very dusty). Same thing- rounds 1 & 2 hard to feed, 3-4-5 pop right in slick as can be. Called Savage Service and they were very nice, suggested bad mag issue. When I told her I tried a new mag already they wanted the gun sent in to be looked at. I wanted another mag 1st, which was their initial offer, just to be sure the older mag I bought might be incompatible before losing the gun for months.
Anybody had similar issues with a Savage .17HMR? I tried both 17 gr, poly-tip and 20 gr. jhp ammo, both jam. Both mags have a little up/down play, but holding the mag tight into the receiver still doesn't help feeding for 1 & 2. It seems like 3/4/5 pop up higher into the receiver and clear the chamber lip and 1 &2 do.
Open to suggestions. Thanks.

·
Banned
296 Posts
I have a Savage 93 in 17HMR with the Heavy barrel and mine has no problems with feeding. I have 3 magazines for mine and none of them have any problems. If it is in the rifle itself I would want it fixed quick. Iv heard that Savage has a quick turn around for their customer service repairs but have never sent them anything personally. Have you tried putting any kind of oil on the magazines? Or just simply tried working the plastic follower in the magazine up and down to see if its binding within the magazine?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to Savage Customer Service, she said it sounded like a magazine problem and put one in the mail. I got it PDQ! Good sign! It does exactly the same thing, plus I followed your advice and lightly lubed the mags and worked the followers. No Joy! Guess I'm going to get to see just what Savage does on a warranty claim. Thanks for the advice. Will kep y'all posted on the result.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Havnt seen a follow up- new member here but Mine would seriously jam the 1st round, second not so much. I cleaned up & polished the clip which helped, lot of rough/sharp edges, still bound but not as hard. Then I removed the clip rail & spring from reciever, deburred and polished. Again hepled some more but still 1st round would bind.
Finally after watching till my eyes blurred I removed the spring and rail from reciever again and flattend out, just a tad. Spring was putting way too much force and cocking the clip & rail causing too much of a feed angle on round. Works like butter...
AS too why this only occurred with 1st 2nd round I assume after 1st 2nd round went thru the feed spring inside the clip itself was relieved enough so bullet wasnt forced into chamber at such an angle to bind. -
just FYI
Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is and issue caused by play in the clip. My rifle had no issues at first but they play you speak of developed in my rifle causing this issue. I looked at my rifle last night and noticed a little over a 16th of an inch of play. If you hold up on the clip and cycle the bolt it works perfectly. I have not pulled anthing appart yet to see if there is a way to correct it. I will contact Savage first.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
I have the same rifle without the bull barrel. Those magazines are very touchy. Too much angle they won't feed and too little all the rounds can come spraying out as you open the bolt. I've played with mine and found the answer is to pinch the front together slightly and flatten the feed lips on the rear about a 1/16". When the round clears the notch in the mag, it should already have the nose of the bullet in the chamber

·
Registered
2 Posts
Savage .17 HMR Split cases

A friend bought one of these rifles awhile back, and has had nothing but problems with the cases splitting from case mouth to 3/4 way down case. He has had it in the gunshop and sent it back to Savage to supposedly check and fix "headspacing problem". They say the problem is fixed, but after 3 to 5 cases are fired, he has the same problem with split cases. Does anyone have a suggestion. He is ready to chuck this rifle into the trash bin. Thank you, Paul

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
A friend bought one of these rifles awhile back, and has had nothing but problems with the cases splitting from case mouth to 3/4 way down case. He has had it in the gunshop and sent it back to Savage to supposedly check and fix "headspacing problem". They say the problem is fixed, but after 3 to 5 cases are fired, he has the same problem with split cases. Does anyone have a suggestion. He is ready to chuck this rifle into the trash bin. Thank you, Paul
Paul, I really don't know what to advise your friend. The HMR headspaces from the rim and I've noticed mine blows the shoulders ahead when firing.
Never had a case split or even look like its close to splitting..

He's using the correct ammo, right? Not the 17 stuff that's based on the .22 Long Rifle.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
Correct, this is likely a chamber or ammo problem. Very unlikely to be a headspace problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new Savage 93R17 (Thumbhole stock/bolt gun) It is very accurate, but simply will not feed 1st or 2nd round from 5-shot mag without force/and-or damage to bullet nose. I bought a 2nd magazine, for same model but obviously long time on shop shelf (very dusty). Same thing- rounds 1 & 2 hard to feed, 3-4-5 pop right in slick as can be. Called Savage Service and they were very nice, suggested bad mag issue. When I told her I tried a new mag already they wanted the gun sent in to be looked at. I wanted another mag 1st, which was their initial offer, just to be sure the older mag I bought might be incompatible before losing the gun for months.
Anybody had similar issues with a Savage .17HMR? I tried both 17 gr, poly-tip and 20 gr. jhp ammo, both jam. Both mags have a little up/down play, but holding the mag tight into the receiver still doesn't help feeding for 1 & 2. It seems like 3/4/5 pop up higher into the receiver and clear the chamber lip and 1 &2 do.
Opening to suggestions. Thanks.
Hi, what is a big problem? I have a savage 93 22 with thumb hole has that same problem but I fixed it and every thing feed perfectly every time. I have two 5 rounds mags and one 10 rounds mag they all have same problem but the problem is very easy to fix.
To make it short try this.... USE A LONG NOSE PLIER TO BEND THE REAR SIDE OF THE MAGAZINE ( the side closest to the primer of the ammo) A Little out ward to free the red plastic ammo guide inside the magazine a little limit . At this point the ammo guide will point upward and load straight in the barrel everyone. The problem is the magazine 's rear side snap the rear ammo guide low after you free it or adjust it the ammo guide point up and feed perfectly.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Welcome to the Shooter's Forum, glad you joined up!

Thanks for the tip, but i don't imagine you noticed this thread is about 5 years old and the OP hasn't been around for quite some time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found that tapping gently on the back of the magazine on the slide rails tightenes the magazine and it feeds easily and is not loose anymore. I even mixed different brands of ammo together and fed easily. Will give good test tomorrow on my range.

·
Banned
4,912 Posts
I had one...

Had a Savage 93 in lefty. It, too, had feeding problems so bad that I gave up on it after buying the second magazine. Finally sold it, and made sure the buyers were told about how hard it is to get it to feed. Glad to be rid of it. The ammo was almost as expensive a .223 and a lot less powerful...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fix

I just bought one and have the same problem with 3 different clips. They were very loose and would rotate down slightly and the nose of the bullet would hit the steel and not the hole in the barrel. Savage said the "L" bracket needs to be adjusted. I could send it to the factory or take it to a gunsmith. I ended up just putting a piece of tape or 2 on the clip to get it tighter on the slide. Works like a charm. Cut the tape about a quarter inch wide and place it on the rear of the clip. So then when you slide it up the L bracket, it is tight and not loose. It may require more than one layer of tape. I also took some fine sand paper and deburred the top of the clip where the bullets slide out to reduce the friction. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I have a 22mag and it uses the same clips. Haven't any of you guys noticed that the Savage doesn't have a feed ramp? If the magazine guide is off even a little bit the bullet will not feed into the chamber correctly. You need to get the magazine adjusted so that the guide doesn't raise it too high or too low. This is an unusual design and a poor one. Not knocking Savage too bad, I own several of them. However, this is one POOR design. Mine work after a lot of tinkering and adjusting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts