Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to a M99 300 savage to shoot and reload for (once I'm setup) to my heart's content.  I really enjoy shooting this lever action but I was told and I've read due to the very short neck on the 300 case that only jacketed bullets, and preferably round nose, should be used so as to take advantage of an otherwise limited powder capacity.

True?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Alan...The great old .300 Savage case has plenty of powder capacity for cast bullets..The real problem is, as you stated, the very short neck! Cast bullets of today, at least ones I have seen, will leave the lube grooves and gas check done into the powder area. This is no good. Unless someone designs a heavy bullet with a very short lube section, we must bypass the .300, unless you set the bullet with some of the lube grooves outside the neck. Then you might have trouble with the OAL.
If you cast your own...there is one option I don't see discussed anymore and that is zinc based bullets. You can push them at jacketed bullet velocities without lube. Zamak and Superdie are two such metals.
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Alan,

Old wive's tale. While I've never shot cast in my own 99G takedown .300, I have shot at least 100 rounds with 180-grain bullets. No problem. Sure the velocity isn't anywhere near a .300 Ultra Mag, but it's plenty good for 200-250 yard shots. That's all I ask of any cartridge.

Depending on the exact bullet design used, your only real concern should be a seating depth that will cover all the lube grooves in the neck. Intrusion into the powder may be a problem, especially if it's hot and the lube softens. Other than that, the short neck shouldn't prove any problem. Something like one of C.E. Harris' spitzer molds should do nicely.

(Edited by Bill Lester at 7:54 pm on April 30, 2001)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I shoot a lot of cast bullets in my 300. I use a flat nose gas check that weighs about 175 grs. Don't seat the bullet deeper than the base of the neck for best accuracy.  The one form of bullet I generally avoid for my 300 is boattail jacketed most of which have to be seated too deeply and can cause rapid pressure rises if you don't adjust your load down from the loads used for the same weight flat base bullets.  A boattail serves no purpose at the ranges a 300 sav. is useful at in any event.  My favorite deer cartridge and have used the same load in the same rifle for nearly 50 years. It produces and is light to carry.  What more can you ask for?  I also use a number of other cartridges/rifles but this is a pet.  BCstocker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts