Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at this so please bare with me. I purchased a Savage Model 10 with the 20 inch Bull Barrel. My dad is excellent at reloading, but has not messed with .308 a lot. He is going to show me the ropes on reloading. But Long story short, I'm going to start reloading ammunition for my Model 10 and would like to save some time on trial and error. What is going to be the best load to start with as far as grain, amount of powder, ect. to get started with. All I will be doing is long target shooting, for the most part. Any help or advice is really appreciated.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Have you looked in any of the reloading manuals or bullet maker's websites for their recommendations?

You realize any internet individual recommendations are purely subjective.

Reactions: Novalondon

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,166 Posts
What kdub said.

Sit down with the old man (he's welcome here too by the way :)) and see what he's got to say. Like my "old man" I've relied on Lyman manuals since I started reloading. The "accuracy" load they list is usually pretty close.

RJ

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Welcome to the Shooter's Forum.

Afraid there is no short cut to accuracy. Just have to figure out which bullet your barrel likes and which powder it prefers to push it.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Welcome to Shooter's Forum, Cole.

In an interesting twist, I bought my son a Savage Model 10 FLP (left-hand) with 20" bull barrel, a couple years back. We were only going to shoot out to maybe 600 yards, so we chose the 155gr A-Max bullet, from Hornady. The powder we decided to use was H4895, mostly because I use it in a variety of other rifles, so we had a fair amount on hand.

We started at minimum and worked our way up. As so often happens, we hit two accuracy nodes, with one of them being near maximum. I could tell you the exact charge, but it wouldn't really make a difference, because your rifle is not very likely to shoot it as well as my son's rifle does. I can't even claim that this powder/bullet combination will shoot at all in your gun.

As much as we'd like to give you a load that will do the job for you, the reality of reloading is that every rifle is different. In fact, that's part of the fun. I hope we hear back from you on what load works well in your rifle. :)

·
The Shadow
7,897 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
IMR 4064 and 168 match bullets are a good place to start.

H4895, IMR4895, and Varget are also good powders in the .308. After IMR4064, 4895 would be my next choice for a beginner. Varget needs compressed loads to run at full potential, but 4064 is right at the sweet spot for 150-168gr bullets.

Which bullet and what load are going to answered by your rifle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
.......What is going to be the best load to start with as far as grain, amount of powder, ect. to get started with. All I will be doing is long target shooting, for the most part. Any help or advice is really appreciated.
This is my Savage Model 10-FP. I mounted a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X Scope on it. For loads I've found that 42.0 Grains of Varget behind a Sierra 168 grain Matchking Bullet is an excellent combination that performs well. It's accurate with just about any case and primer combination. I'm going to try some of the new CFE-223 powder as soon as this shortage nonsense is over with. It reduces copper fouling as you shoot. Most everyone who has tested it says it works even better than advertised. We'll see.

This gun shoots ragged one hole groups at 100 yards with boring regularity, and the barrel stays very clean. I have never run the barrel too hot. If it's too hot to touch and hold, it's too hot to shoot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is a lot of information about the 308 Win available both online and published writings. For powders
Varget, IMR 8208BR, IMR 4064, IMR 4895, IMR 4320, H4895, and many other powders work very well, depending on the weight of the bullet.

Regarding primers, CCI BR2 & Federal 210M are popular but many benchrest shooters use Russian LR primers with excellent results.

Brass is pretty much what ever your favorite is. Personally I found Lapua has a reduced powder capacity
vs WW brass, which caused some pressure issues. Given the expense of brass these days I'd recommend
using either WW or RP brass. While different, they are both good values for the $$ spent, and with a 5%
discard rate, still less expensive without any other shortcomings than more expensive brass.

Depending on what kind of shooting/hunting you plan on doing will determine which bullet you select.

There you go. If you're looking for load data, you might want to visit 6mmBR webpage and click on the
308 Win.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been shooting and reloading the .308 Win for about 30 years. Currently own two, one in a Rem. 788 model, the other is a TC Encore. I've gotten old and fat on venison from that little Rem.
Not a particularly finnicky round. Different powders, different brass, different primers. Freezer stays full of venison every year. Hogs get fewer. Coyotes keep disappearing.
Get a manual, PLUS listen to the old man. The manual will prevent you from THINKING you have that load memorized, the old man will keep you from doing something stupid, like double charging(this would be all but impossible in a .308, case won't hold that much) but still.
I tend to go with Nosler Ballistic Tips, 165 gr., in one ofthe "accuracy" loads. The manuals will have it listed that way. And if you'll notice, these tend to be less than the full on hot loads. It will put the bullet where you shoot it, which is way more important than getting there a mili-second before the slower accurate load gets there, and both will be traveling plenty fast to get the job done. You save a tiny amount of powder, and a bit of recoil.
If your Dad has been reloading, then he likely has somewhat of an assortment of powder. Go through that, cross checking with your manual. The .308 is friendly enough with so many different powders that you'll likely find something in there that the gun likes. Experiment with different powders, primers, brass, case lengths(stay inside the specs), bullet seating depths, all the variables. You can get as involved as you want. Some benchrest shooters get so particular it's like loading in a cleanroom or surgical suite, and building a space rocket. hen there are hunters that carry a portable press with them to the field, and reload there. Somewhere in between is likely your spot. Get the load shooting as accurately as YOU can shoot, then shoot. A lot. The ability behind the gun will make or break more shots, and more hunts, than all the science and load tinkering in the world.
You have one of the most effective rounds, and one of the most versatile rounds, in existence today. Shoot the rifle. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Ad nauseum. The more time behind that trigger, the better. Whether your punching paper or filling a freezer, practice. Which will lead to more reloading. Welcome to the forum, and to the .308.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Varget always burns nice and clean, very usefull in many calibers too.
Good luck!
Lessdrop

There has been some refuting evidence on that statement, on this site. Might want to check out the threads on hard carbon fouling. I've been going easy on the "extreme" powders after reading some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
And don't overlook cast bullets either....
The.308 is an excellent caliber for gas checked cast slugs. Yes, all the qualities associated with
keeping velocities to 30/30 levels apply. But the fun factor provides a whole different dimension
to your shooting and hunting.

·
Registered
7 Posts

i SOUGHT THE SAME ADVICE AS YOU A FEW YEARS BACK ON A DIFFERENT FORUM,MARLINOWNERS.COM,FOR MY XS7. A CERTAIN GENTLEMAN WHO SHOT LONG DISTANCE PALMA RIFLE COMPETITION SUGGESTED 178GRN. HORNADY A-MAX OVER 42.5 GRNS. OF VARGET. I TRIED IT AND HAVE SHOT RANGES FROM 300 METERS TO THE WHITE BUFFALO AT THE WHITTINGTON CENTER AT 1123 YARDS IT IS MY FAVORITE BY FAR. HOPE THIS HELPS.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm a big fan of Sierra bullets, Varget powder and cci 200 primers.
I especially like the fact that I can develop a load with the 168 grain Match King bullets for paper killing and then simply switch to 165 grain Game King HP's for deer.
There is no measurable shift in point of impact and those Game Kings are deadly on whitetails, almost as good as Match Kings on paper!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts