Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's what happened... I purchased a Savage Model 12 chambered for .308. After only 60 rounds, I notice that the receiver is loose in the stock. I can easily produce about 1/16" of movement just by manipulating the barrel. I simply tightened the retaining screws at the base of the stock to correct the problem. My question is this: Has anyone seen/ heard about this happening before? Is this shortcoming of Savage rifles w/ synthetic stocks? Aside from Loctite on the screws, is there anything else that can be done to remedy this problem?:confused: Thanks for your help!!

The nation disordered; Patriots come forth!!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
So here's what happened... I purchased a Savage Model 12 chambered for .308. After only 60 rounds, I notice that the receiver is loose in the stock. I can easily produce about 1/16" of movement just by manipulating the barrel. I simply tightened the retaining screws at the base of the stock to correct the problem. My question is this: Has anyone seen/ heard about this happening before? Is this shortcoming of Savage rifles w/ synthetic stocks? Aside from Loctite on the screws, is there anything else that can be done to remedy this problem?:confused: Thanks for your help!!

I'd contact Savage, especially if this is one of their new accustocks that need the screws to wedge the receiver to the stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The stock is just a bare bones synthetic, not an accustock so there really aren't that many moving parts. Hopefully, Savage has a helpful/ timely response for me.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Probable that the action screws were not tighten properly at the factory. I doubt that Savage will do much other than have you tighten the screws. There plastic stocks have the name "tupperware stock" due to flexing by those who shoot them a lot. I would not locktite the screws but if you must use something then use fingernail polish or paint. Clean the action and screw threads of oils put a drop on the screw threads and tighten. After drying it will keep the screws from working loose like locktite but without the fear of getting into places it shouldn't.

·
Banned
107 Posts

My son had about the same thing happen on his Savage, only he lost the screw completely while out hunting. Pretty darn inconvieniant. As flimsy as the stock is on that thing, it's a very accurate rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.