Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Savage Model 24 Series S in 22 mag over 20 ga. and I am contemplating restocking it and using it for close varmint shooting (the 22 mag)

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated as this gun was lost and forgotten for many years. My dad butchered the stock trying to change the fit. The trigger is horrible and would need to be smithed.

Has anyone done anything "unique" with this gun? Maybe a tactical stock?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I just got a stock set from Boyds Stocks. Very pleased with the stock set, not show quality, but I did not pay for AAAAA fancy wood. It is walnut not stained birch hardwood. the fit is very good no complaints. Makes my old Savage 219 30-30 look like a new gun (built in the late 30's). Cost about $110.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upon further review, the 22 mag barrel is badly bent.....no wonder dad couldn't get it to shoot LOL

Is it worth it to have the barrel straightened and start from there?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If the rifle barrel's bent, then so is the shot barrel - since they're hard soldered together on that model IIRC - aren't they ?

R U sure the barrel's are bent ? (they're VERY stout)

The best way to check is by viewing a backlit straight/vertical line, via looking at it through the barrel(s).

If the the line reflected through the barrel is straight, looking through the barrel, then the barrel's straight.

If the shadow line's crooked, a barrel press us what's usually used for straightening w/o further damage.

Maybe the 24" barrels could be shortened to a point that would negate a bend near the muzzle(s), yet remain within the 18" minumum for the shot barrel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two barrels are not soldered together, they are about 1/4" apart with a spacer at the muzzle. The 22 mag is visibly bent from both inside and outside. About 2/3 of the way toward the muzzle, there is a visible bend upward, I put a laser bore sighter and a scope on it just for giggles......at 5' the red dot and cross hairs line up, at 50 yards the red dot is about 10' above the cross hairs. A scope would be zeroed at 5' and again when the bullet came back to earth. LOL

Maybe I can get a picture up later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update.......

I had the barrel straightened and am working at setting this gun up for an upcoming PD hunt in SD.

It misfires quite frequently and I am not sure if i want to spend any more money on it. The firing pin just doesn't seem to hit hard ennough.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
An update.......

I had the barrel straightened and am working at setting this gun up for an upcoming PD hunt in SD.

It misfires quite frequently and I am not sure if i want to spend any more money on it. The firing pin just doesn't seem to hit hard ennough.
I have long been a fan of the older Savage 24's of various configurations, and while a great many of them have passed through my possession from time to time, there are still a few that live in our stables.

An inherent weakness of these guns is in the hammer springs on these guns. They will go weak simply sitting in a gunsafe! For that reason I keep four or five of them on-hand in my parts inventory at any given time. My little Model 24C has gone through at least three hammer springs in the last 20+ years it's lived with me. A couple of new springs have gone into my .30-30AI/20ga and at least two into my old .22/410 as well. In fact, I don't own one of these at the present time that hasn't needed at least one spring change in the time I've owned them... of course the ones in my ownership now have been there a long time, and see regular use.

If it's suffering from intermittent or weak firing pin hit, then no question this will solve your issue, and bring reliability back to that little combo gun.

The springs are available readily, here's a link to the part, it'll set you back $5.95 plus shipping. If you like the gun, order two, and keep one in the but-stock.

Hope this helps.

God bless,

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have long been a fan of the older Savage 24's of various configurations, and while a great many of them have passed through my possession from time to time, there are still a few that live in our stables.

An inherent weakness of these guns is in the hammer springs on these guns. They will go weak simply sitting in a gunsafe! For that reason I keep four or five of them on-hand in my parts inventory at any given time. My little Model 24C has gone through at least three hammer springs in the last 20+ years it's lived with me. A couple of new springs have gone into my .30-30AI/20ga and at least two into my old .22/410 as well. In fact, I don't own one of these at the present time that hasn't needed at least one spring change in the time I've owned them... of course the ones in my ownership now have been there a long time, and see regular use.

If it's suffering from intermittent or weak firing pin hit, then no question this will solve your issue, and bring reliability back to that little combo gun.

The springs are available readily, here's a link to the part, it'll set you back $5.95 plus shipping. If you like the gun, order two, and keep one in the but-stock.

Hope this helps.

God bless,
Thank you very much! I tried sharpening the firing and we will see if this helps. I will probably order the springs as well because I have only ever sold one gun in my life and I regret that.....and since this was inherited from my dad I won't be getting rid of it. I am hoping to get it working reliably enough to take on the upcoming PD hunt ............for the short range stuff.

I am getting about 1.5 to 1.75 MOA at 100 yards and that's good enough for some PD fun.

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts