Shooters Forum banner

savage or sako???

16K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Tnhunter 
#1 · (Edited)
i am looking at buying my first rifle shortly to be used for general hunting. i am looking in the mid market price range. i was looking at maybe a savage weather warrior with their new accutrigger and accustock or a sako A7 but keep seeing other options also. any comments, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also trying to decide between 270 or 270wsm????

cheers Tahu

#3 ·
Welcome to ShootersForum, Tahu. Rules are simple, be nice and join in! :)

You don't mention where you hunt or what game you'll be going after, but in my opinion, the Savage in 270 Winchester is a pretty hard combination to beat for 90% of what North America has to offer.

#5 ·
Hi Tahu,

First of all, I don't mean to rain on your thoughts, but I just want to offer some of mine for what you think they're worth. If they help you, that's great.

I don't know anything about the Savage range, but I own two Sako's. Not sure where you're located, but Sako's in most places I have seen are in the pricey end of the rifles on offer. I have two Sako 75's, one in .223 in the Sako Hunter model, and the other in .308 which is the Varmint version. I love both of them, as they have never failed me and both are highly accurate. I don't like the A7 much, but that's just my own thoughts on the A7's I've seen and handled. Still, the A7 is a lot cheaper than the other Sako's.

My Dad owned a Sako 85 briefly this year, and it was a disappointment compared to the 75. The magazine has a new release catch, which the salesman said was because too many shooters were dropping the 75 magazines in the dirt and snow when they went to change magazines. I had to stop myself laughing! Was he serious??????? I can do magazine changes with both my Sako 75's with one hand and have never come close to dropping them. The Sako 85 has an inferior magazine catch in my opinion. My Dad only owned his Sako 85 for a few days, because he found out that he couldn't load anything with longer OAL's and he took it back without firing a shot from it. How many of us have ever thought to check the OAL's of our loads and whether they would fit in a model of a rifle where they loaded in the previous model of the same brand? Dad managed to find a brand new Sako 75 model in .223 and he's very happy with it.

It seems to be that Sako is going down the road of making their products on the cheap, and I think the A7 and the Sako 85 are good examples of that. While the Sako 85 is not cheap, you're paying top dollar for a product that is not as good as previous Sako's. As a Sako owner, I'm disappointed about that. A great product going down the toilet in my opinion. I hope they turn their philosophy around and start producing products like they used to.

I've just bought my Dad and I a current model Winchester Featherweight in 7mm08, and we're both very impressed with them. I bought two of these for nearly the same price as buying one Sako 85! I'm not sure what Winchester Featherweights are worth in your part of the world, but I'd recommend you have a look at one. The finish and features on both of ours are sensation, and even though we're working on finding the best hand loads for them, their accuracy is excellent. I wouldn't buy another current model Sako after buying these new Winchester models. I just wish they would bring one out in .223.

If you're looking for an all weather model, Winchester has a Model 70 all Weather stainless steel model, which is in both 270 and 270WSM. I haven't seen or heard anything about them, but can only think they'd be worth a look based on my own Featherweight.

As far as the 270 and 270WSM are concerned, i favour the 270. My Dad has owned two of them, and they were both excellent.

Are you planning to reload your own or buy factory loads? I have heard of problems with guys who load their own, but I'm sure some guys in here will say otherwise.

Have a look at the WSM, but I'd ask yourself is the extra powder burnt worth the results you'll get? Compare the ballistics between the two and see what you think. I've read guys who like the WSM and WSSM's like the extra energy that the bullets hold at a distance, but if you're shots aren't half way around the planet, so you really need to worry?

For me it's about bullet placement! Unless the game you shoot have been eating something that gives them 270 proof bodies, I think I'd stick with the 270, but that's just my opinion based on where and what I shoot. Everyone has their own requirements.

I also like the idea of more rounds in the magazine too. You got five rounds in a Featherweight 270 or three 270WSM in the same model. I'd rather have the extra two rounds.

I've never been convinced about my need for a WSM's and WSSM's myself. For what I do, I don't feel the need to burn a lot of powder for the extra velocity and energy over long distance. I witnessed my Dad knock over an animal at 610 paces with his 270, so I'm not convinced the 270 is on the way out. I think my use of a bolt doesn't make 25mm less bolt throw an advantage. How much time would it save to have 25mm less bolt throw? Mmmmmmm! Can't say i'd notice to much difference! I like to not have two rounds less in the magazine too.

I'm not sure if recoil is a big factor for you, but have a look at the recoil tables and look for the differences. Recoil might not worry you too much, but I'm just putting it out there in case.

What do you have in mind to use your new rifle on? I read somewhere the other day that 270 and 7mm08 are basically twins. Maybe that's the topic for another post! LOL

Do plenty of research mate, and I'm sure you'll make the best choice for yourself. I hope I've been of some help to you.

#7 ·
I just bought my first rifle, a Savage Weather Warrior 270Win. It was very close between it and the Tikka T3 Lite. My buddy has the Tikka, and it's a very nice rifle as well. I would of been happy with either one. But went with the Savage as it saved me enough money to buy a scope.

I too debated between the 270 Win and the 270WSM. This will be mainly my deer rifle so the 270Win is plenty. I will also probably use it for my first year or two of moose hunting, until I purchase a dedicated moose rifle. That being said many guys around here (Ontario, Canada) use a 270Win for moose with great success. Therefore it came down to dollars and cents, and 270Win ammo is a bit cheaper. The more I save per box, the more I can shoot.

Good luck with your choice!

#8 ·
I love my Sako rifles, but I agree with One Shot. All of the A-7's that I have handled had the forearm stock tight against one side of the barrel, and sloppy against the other side. For a synthetic stock, there is no excuse for that. Once I saw that, I couldn't get past that problem to look any further. The model 75 is a geat rifle. Don't know about the 85. But if I was choosing between Sako products and Savage products. I would choose the Tikka. Fit, finish, and trigger adjust are excellent, so is accuracy.

Good Luck

#9 ·
My own suggestion is to handle each rifle and choose based upon how they fit you and feel to you. All else being equal, which it almost never is, I lean away from Beretta's stuff (Sako is a Beretta brand). That's just me, though

As for 270 Win. vs. 270 WSM, they're similar enough that, once again, I'd choose based upon price and availability of the ammo you want or like. If you reload, it's sort of a pick-em affair, IMO. The WSM case's brass is super-tough, and so a bit strange to work with compared to most brass. It's more efficient than the 270 Win case, though, which means you'll get a bit better performance from the powder you burn.

If you can't evaluate the rifles in-person before you buy, then I'm not sure how to help you. If it was me in that circumstance, I'd buy the Savage, but I'd try very hard to not be in that circumstance if I could help it.

#11 ·
My Dad has the Tikka T3 in .223 with the heavy barrel. It shoots very accurately, but it's main problem is with the magazine. Being plastic, probably doesn't help. Plastic is not as good as metal, no matter how strong it is. Dad's spare magazine, won't load another round after the third shot, despite trying to work on the magazine to get it to work.

Second thing my Dad doesn't like, is the single column magazine which is not as easy to load as a double column magazine. At night time while spotlighting, it's not easy.

Dad uses the T3 for range and varminting work now. A great rifle for the money, but could be better with a better magazine system. Couldn't fault it otherwise.

#12 ·
I'm going to make a suggestion that it seems nobody else will, it seems I am in the minority with my opinion on this, but here it goes, have you looked at the Remington 700? Despite what many people say about them, they are fantastic rifles, and can be picked up new fairly reasonably, in pretty well every caliber under the sun, in many different configurations, not to mention that due to it's popularity, it is the Ruger 10/22 of the centerfire world when it comes to parts available for customization, so just another choice for consideration. also if those are the 2 choices for cartridge, I'd go with the standard .270, just due to cost and availability, and it's plenty of gun, unless you plan on hunting Bear anytime soon!

#18 ·
I'm going to make a suggestion that it seems nobody else will, it seems I am in the minority with my opinion on this, but here it goes, have you looked at the Remington 700? Despite what many people say about them, they are fantastic rifles, and can be picked up new fairly reasonably, in pretty well every caliber under the sun, in many different configurations, not to mention that due to it's popularity, it is the Ruger 10/22 of the centerfire world when it comes to parts available for customization, so just another choice for consideration. also if those are the 2 choices for cartridge, I'd go with the standard .270, just due to cost and availability, and it's plenty of gun, unless you plan on hunting Bear anytime soon!
Ditto on the Remington 700, and if I might add my caliber of choice it would be a 7/08. Honestly I believe this round to be the most underrated caliber fo most game. I loaned one to a avid .270 fan during deer season a few years ago and after dropping his first DRT buck he had to have one too!
DOUG

#13 ·
I'd second the suggestion for the Tikka. The A7 really doesnt compare to the model 75's that Sako has put out. So for the money the Tikka will shoot every bit as good as a Savage, and end up costing you less than the A7.

#14 ·
Hi every one and thanks for the advice so far :). I forgot to say that i am in New Zealand and will be mainly hunting deer (there is no really big game here). I think you are all right in saying to try them all for fit and see what feels best. I will keep reading, researching and talking to people in the mean time while trying to decide.

#15 · (Edited)
savage does get the job done right out the box,after you sight her in real well.. usually no accurising necessary..im an 30 06 man myself..slim
if it weren t for the cheap savages available ..id never have known
how accurate a centerfire can be ..even in these old shaky hands..
good luck slim
ps was a time when i could hit the same hole,[sometimes], at the hundred..with the right rnd that is..

#16 ·
Hi again Tahu,

Great to see a friend from across the ditch. Keen Aussie shooter here. i was over visiting your great country in December/January, and I got the feeling that you have the same type of problems that we Aussie shooters do.

First of all, it's the extraordinary prices we pay for anything to do with shooting, and secondly the availability of components. With those two things in mind, I can understand the questions you're asking. With the price you and I pay for powder, cases, primers, and projectiles you and I have to look at the cost and availability a little more seriously than our friends in North America. I actually spoke with a visiting U.S shooter when I was in New Zealand, and he was astounded about the price of all things shooting in New Zealand.

With that in mind, I've steered away from the WSM and WSSM advertising blurb, and gone for mainstream calibres. Currently, the gun cabinet holds .22RF, 25-303, 12 gauge shotgun, 308, 7mm08 and .223. Would .308 or 7mm08 be a suitable for your needs? You'll burn a lot less powder and you should be able to buy components without too much trouble. What are you hunting for and what ranges are you shooting them at?

It's an exciting time mate for you, and there's no shortage or great guys here happy to help you decide on what's right for you.

#17 ·
well if cost of components is as expensive as oneshotkill says (not that I doubt you in the least) I would definitely second the vote for a .308, extremely common round, and easy on powder, not to mention that the .30 cal. bullet is the most produced bullet world wide, or so I hear!

#19 ·
i agree completely with the recommendation of the 7/08 but if you are set on a 270 i'd definately go with the std 270... sako, savage, remington, ruger, i'd say get what suits you astetically and what feels good in the hands because for the most part they are all pretty close. me personally i like rugers and remingtons but most manufacturers are turning out pretty good rifles these days

#22 ·
Psssssst... you can always cheat, like I do. If I make (when I make...) I go back into that post, click on "EDIT" at the bottom and re-do the "finger-fault"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.