Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Model 24C S Series

I can't believe anyone hasn't commented on this. I saw a used 24C S Series about a year ago for $250 and went home, did my research and found this article and immediately went back and bought it. The guy threw it in a gun sock which ended up messing up the rear sight, and I had that fixed. Mine is a 22LR/20ga, nickel finish. Unfortunately my stock does not have the storage options like in the article...pretty bummed about that. Also, I would like to get a sling for it but can't figure out the barrel diameter for the mount. It's either 0.775" or 0.755". Hopefully this gun bags me a few coyotes in Wyoming in December.

Thank you for this article, I have fallen in love with these guns and will snatch any up when I find one.

--Bob

·
Registered
547 Posts
Love the Savage combo's. I kick myself in the rear now that they are no longer made because I had them on the counter multiple times as a younger man. I wish I had the .22lr/20 or .30-30/12 that I'd fondled at our local sporting goods store many times. 8( I figured they'd always be available. Cheapest I have seen any lately are over $400. I have been looking at a new similar style gun being imported by EAA/USSG. They have .223/12ga, .30-06/12ga, .22LR/.410 and .22Mag/.410. Since I load .223 already, had been considering that one.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I've looked at them several times, but have been under the impression that the accuracy of the rifle barrel leaves much to be desired. Anyone have accuracy experience with the .22 LR or .22 Mag.

If they shoot minute of squirrel head, they would make an excellent fall turkey/ squirrel gun. I've had more than a few experiences when a turkey flushed or a squirrel treed that I passed the shot while carrying a .22 mag because it would not have been safe (houses a half mile away), but a shot with a shotgun would have been safe .

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I agree with your praise of the Savage 24. Certainly the combo choices make each one sort of a special. I sort of like the original 22 lr and 410, as I never use the 24 for big game and the 22 lr is good for squirrels, coons, groundhogs and rabbits.

Since you asked for comments, I believe the trajectory of the 30-30 AI is a little off. Probably be better to say dead on at 200 yards (if 3" high at 100yds). Even using your MV the 173 grain drops like a pumpkin after 200 yards.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Savage 24 O/U

The 223/20ga i came across had a problem. A weak spring let the action open on firing about 10% of the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Versitility is why the Europeans carried combination guns(drillings, vierlings). I've got the 22LR/20 ga and its a great gun. Excellent article!!

Sam

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I was a boy, which was many years ago, I lusted intensely for the Savage 24 displayed in an ad in Boy's Life magazine. It showed a Model 24, a target, a squirrel and a crow, and read fun, fur, feathers. I was in love and totally hooked.

I could write my own article about the fun I've had with Savage Model 24's and the game I have taken. Now I have several and enjoy them all. The latest purchase is a turkey gun with a .222 upper and 12 ga. lower with a screw-in turkey choke. My first 3 shot group at a hundred yards was a cloverleaf with ragged bullet holes touching.

My Camper's Companion with folding rear sight has taken a deer and a number of ruffed grouse. Another 24 has a .357 magnum upper over a 3 inch 20 ga. lower, and makes a perfect farm gun.

Unless it is World War lll, when I head out the door I'd just as soon as take a Model 24 as anything else. I've had a lifetime of satisfaction from mine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a model 24 I carried when i ran a trap line. 22Mag/20 Ga
If I could find another one Id buy it in a heartbeat. Its the only gun I regret selling.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I had a Model 24 S-E when I was in high school in .22LR/.410 with 18" bbls IIRC. Took lots of Texas jackrabbits with it growing up. Lost it when my friends gunshop got burnt down.

CD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had two in 22lr over 20 ga. Stupidly sold both. My dad had the 222 Rem over 20 ga. Mod 24 V. He could head-shoot any squirrel he could see using the as-issued open sights. If I ever see another like it, I'll buy it and keep it 'til I die.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine is .223/20Ga and was my favorite trapline gun for 29 years that I trapped in Western Montana. good for deer and or grouse, I carried a .22 revolver for the trapped animals (bobcat & coyote). :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
My first model 24 was a .22/.410 with a "plastic" stock and button selector; and, as a kid, I was "hooked" on having a choice of rifle or shotgun in my hands to hunt. The second one was a wood stock .22Mag/20g - I should have kept it, for even with an 8# trigger it was on of the most "useful" combinations I ever owned, but I was too young and poor to have a "gunsmith" work it over for me. Over the next decade, I owned a .222/20ga with the then, newly designed, "split barrels which was the most inaccurate rifle barrel I've ever shot in that caliber. (I formed a mistrust for the split barrel design in any firearm where one barrel was "hangared" with another and stayed away from the newer model 24, especially the center fire combinations, for a while.) The one I bought and kept over the last 30 years is a .22LR over a 20ga and it will go to my son when I'm done. It is superbly accurate and I have made one of the longest shotgun hits on a crow at this time and date (very tightly choked), and the .22 barrel will shoot any brand as accurate as the best "bolt action" rifle I've owned or tried. It is a DL model with the barrel selector on the hammer, and the barrels "wed". In addition to the .22/20, I have owned one .22/.410 in the last 5 years, but did not find the .410 as satisfactory as the 20ga; especially since .410 ammo usually cost more than the "garden variety" 20ga rounds (I sold it quickly). I also own a "Drilling" that I typically hunt with at least once a season for bird or deer (successfully). Compared to the Drilling or "Cape" gun, the Model 24 is the most inexpensive and useful "combination" gun (IMHO) that a person can own. My experience and personal bias with the one center fire model, not withstanding, I would not hesitate to purchase another in any caliber with a 20ga barrel over the "tube" and feel "lucky" indeed for owning a true "bargain".

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

FWIW as consideration.....

After owning/shooting/hunting various Savage/Stevens combination guns over the past 45-odd years, and considering how much they've appreciated ($$$), last year when I again wanted a combination gun, I turned to the Chiappa Double Badger (my choice was .22WRM/.410, but .22LR & 20ga are now an option) @ under $300 (ordered) OTD.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Always planned on getting one but waited too late.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine is a 22lr converted to 22 mag over 20 ga with the barrels cut to 19" which removed the choke to better handle slugs. It still is a viable 30+ yd shotgun with most any shot size. 22 mag is a 3" shooter at 100 yds with iron sights. I carry it broken down in a bag case with 25 shot shell and a box of 22 mag Winchester 40 gr HP and some CCI maxi mags and the whole thing fits behind my seat in my C-170 and is my survival gun if I need it which I haven't so far. Case and the gun has a sling and there is a peep drilled and tapped on the side. The sabot 20 ga slugs shoot inside 4" at 50 yds which should be adequate for most any critter big enough to deserve a slug...otherwise the 22 mag with work.

Good article...keep up the good work.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I've looked at them several times, but have been under the impression that the accuracy of the rifle barrel leaves much to be desired. Anyone have accuracy experience with the .22 LR or .22 Mag.

If they shoot minute of squirrel head, they would make an excellent fall turkey/ squirrel gun. I've had more than a few experiences when a turkey flushed or a squirrel treed that I passed the shot while carrying a .22 mag because it would not have been safe (houses a half mile away), but a shot with a shotgun would have been safe .
I had really nice 24 DL in 22mag/20, hard to believe but it was one of the most accurate 22 mags I've ever seen, the problem was it grouped about 2 feet high of where the center of the shotgun pattern was as 30yards.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
My dad bought a Model 24 many years ago, with a 22 WMR on top of a 20 gauge barrel. I don't think it's been fired in 20 years, or more. Might have to remedy that situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts