Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I change the bolt head on a savage model 12 to 308 size and put a single shot follower in it can I then use it for any short action cartridge that I have a barrel for?

·
The Shadow
7,576 Posts
I think you need to do a little reading before you start playing with things.....

Savage has three main bolt head sizes. Small .378" (223,204) Large .473" (308,30-06) and Magnum .532" (7mm,338wm)

I assume that since you have a short action, you are stepping up from the small to large bolt head. In that case, anything that has the large case head and will fit your action length, yes you can use.

It has been my experience in the past three rebarrel jobs, that you sometimes need more than just the bolt face it's self. You will need the "other" part of the locking lugs, that the bolt head rotates in. It has a longer "lug" to keep the bolt from traveling as far rearward, with really short cartridges. Then the mag houseing may need changed due to the partial "blank" they put in there for the afore mentioned cartridge lenght issue.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I can get all the parts I need from sharpshootersupply. I ordered the complete bolt head different mag box single shot follower and mag spring. thanks Jim

·
Super Moderator
13,257 Posts
SSS are good folks to deal with. I bought a couple of their triggers for pre-accutrigger actions, their recoil lugs and several other odds and ends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts