Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Savage has a big following on the forum, and are known for their accuracy. This new one in 6.5/284 with 26" barrel, 1 in 8" twist, and in line muzzle brake has my interest up. It is made in a hunting weight, and I was wondering if anyone has one.
My experience with the 6.5/284 was a Weatherby action and 1 in 9 twist.
The magazine was too short to shoot the longer bullets that I wanted to try.
Anyway, what are you guys thoughts
Thx
Tom
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/111 longrangehunter

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx guys. It wouldn't be a walking around rifle. I hunt from an enclosed blind so it should work for that okay.
I'm setting a feeder up at 400 yards and want to experiment with some live target ballistic results (pigs)
Our larger pigs can go about 18" in width and would approximate a mature mule deer or maybe cow elk. I want to use my standard rounds like 243, 260, 270 and see what happens at that range. It gives me the excuse to get a new rifle, too.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Sounds like fun to me...and who needs an excuse?! :)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,914 Posts
As if you needed an excuse, Tom! :p

Think you'll like the 6.5/284. Should be deadly on them piggies.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
I won't tell anyone you have an ugly rifle!!!! :p :p :p

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Sounds a bit like my laminate Model 70 7mm WSM. It is a bit heavy and the round is kind of obscure (as is the 6.5/.284). But it REALLY reaches out and shoots. Solid, accurate. Based on my experiences with Savages, I bet that 6.5 will be the same....and it'll probably be more fun shooting at the bench too! Similar results without burning half a can of powder as I do each shot.

·
Registered
770 Posts
They're not ugly. They're...comely. Had a "package" gun in .308. Got stolen. but found the same thing lightly used. Heavy means steady, even in mountains....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dollar for dollar the best built for sure! Usually the best built regardless of dollars, except for customs. A heavy built Savage (12 or 112) usually acts like a Remington 40x. Compare those prices!:p

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I don't shoot factory rifles but, if I did, this would be my choice....

Model: 12 Bench Rest
<TABLE class=rifletable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 jQuery1265294598037="577"><TBODY jQuery1265294598037="576"><TR jQuery1265294598037="575"><TD class=rifleleft>Series: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Target</TD><TD class=rifleleft jQuery1265294598037="574">AccuTrigger: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Yes</TD></TR><TR jQuery1265294598037="580"><TD class=rifleleft>Sights: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Drilled and tapped for scope mounts</TD><TD class=rifleleft jQuery1265294598037="579">AccuStock : </TD><TD class=rifleright>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rifleleft>Magazine: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Single-shot</TD><TD class=rifleleft>Stock material: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Wood Laminate</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rifleleft>Barrel material: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Stainless Steel</TD><TD class=rifleleft>Stock finish: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Satin</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rifleleft>Barrel finish: </TD><TD class=rifleright>High Luster</TD><TD class=rifleleft>Stock color: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Natural</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rifleleft>Barrel color: </TD><TD class=rifleright>Natural</TD><TD class=rifleleft>Action:</TD><TD class=rifleright>Short</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Available chamberings:
<TABLE id=rifletablesub cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TH class=firstth rowSpan=2>SKU</TH><TH rowSpan=2>Caliber:</TH><TH rowSpan=2>Rate of
Twist:</TH><TH class=lengthth colSpan=2>Length<SUP>*</SUP>:</TH><TH rowSpan=2>Weight<SUP>*</SUP>:</TH><TH rowSpan=2>Ammo
Cap.:</TH><TH class=lastth rowSpan=2>MSRP<SUP>**</SUP>:</TH></TR><TR><TH>Barrel:</TH><TH>Overall:</TH></TR><TR><TD class=firsttd>18613</TD><TD>6.5 x 284 NORMA</TD><TD>1 in 8"</TD><TD>29"</TD><TD>49"</TD><TD>12.75 lbs</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>$1418.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=firsttd>18614</TD><TD>6 NORMA BR</TD><TD>1 in 8"</TD><TD>29"</TD><TD>49"</TD><TD>12.75 lbs</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>$1418.00</TD></TR><TR><TD class=firsttd>18615</TD><TD>308 WIN</TD><TD>1 in 12"</TD><TD>29"</TD><TD>49"</TD><TD>12.75 lbs</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>$1418.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The 6.5-284 is a superb long-range round and with the 1-8" twist (good decision on Savage's part), it will handle the heavier 140 gr. Match and VLD bullets very well...

A pig at 400 yards! You're just getting started ;)....

A

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like a great rifle but too bad it's not stainless. As I like guns that shoot well, I rate Savage well above Remington and most other production guns. Now if they would just make stainless .375 H&H rifles again!

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the 1 in 8' twist was a good idea also.
There are some great bullets coming out in 6.5 that would need that twist.
I think I'll trade in some pistols, not a real pistol fan, and get this one.
by the time I spray paint the whole thing, it will be "all business"
400 yards is about as far as I want to go. That way, I don't need a mil scope, just hold one foot over... bang flop!
Might even be worth putting a good scope on it-

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
mike.. what makes a pretty rifle.. pretty is as pretty does.. slim:)
jus like womens..jmo ladies.. don t get mad now, if you a liber.. we probably never woulda hooked up anyway...better for you ,better for me.. you think..:)..

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
by the time I spray paint the whole thing, it will be "all business"
-
I hate to help a man buy a Savage but what the heck...
Ya know, Savage might paint it for you? Maybe you want to eliminate the brake or something? Call their customer service # (413) 568 7001. You want ext 4399 or "Special Order". They'll tie a ribbon on it for ya if it will sell a rifle. All you need after that is a local dealer or FFL holder to take delivery.
Presto....one custom ugly rifle:p

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went to cabelas to order, and like most of these "new entries" into the market, it might be several months before I can get one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Savage

Dollar for dollar the best built for sure! Usually the best built regardless of dollars, except for customs. A heavy built Savage (12 or 112) usually acts like a Remington 40x. Compare those prices!:p
I would love one, the f class competitors are buying these in droves and shooting fair groups 12" at 1000 yards with 32/42 Nightforce scopes .Dammn

1 - 20 of 27 Posts