Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be the wrong place for this post as it concerns a muzzle loader. My reason for putting it here is Savages literature states it is for                 SMOKELESS POWDER!!!
With black or a black substitute there is some leeway for people who might be a little heavy handed with the amount of powder put in their muzzle loader. I do not advocate using anything but published data with no changes but I do know there are persons who tempt fate by increasing charges past safe levels.
Now here comes this muzzle loader for smokeless powder, I don't know what powder and projectile savage has worked up for this rifle, and am sure if the load is followed the the letter all will be fine. I beleive Savage to be a fine company with excellent products.
But I have to wonder, I mean if they suggest a powder like H 4831 or IMR 7828 and some dummy was to use the same amount of Bullseye or Unique, you would end up with a bomb!!!
I don't have a savage smokeless powder muzzleloader and in no way mean to suggest there is anything wrong with the gun or the idea. I just wondered if any of you had seen the adds or perhaps had one and could lend some insight on this product. Sorry for being long winded on this one.       J Sanders

·
Registered
252 Posts
Savage advocating smokeless for their new muzzleloader scares me on a couple of fronts.  Once upon a time I worked for one of the makers of in-line frontstuffers in their Quality Control department.  One of the things we did was explosion testing of the rifles using smokeless powder -- AA#2 as I recall.  20 grains would render the gun unable to fire ever again, 30 grains or more would scatter pieces over several acres.  This was with the charges being measured in the same volume measure used for blackpowder, not by actual weight.  There is no way that a muzzleloader with a screw-in breechplug can seal as well as a breechloader with a cartridge case; in fact it is the breechplug area that will go first on those guns.  Now I am sure that Savage has load data that they have tested, but all it takes is once with the wrong powder or a double charge - hard to do with normal loads in a 30/06 but very easy in a muzzleloader - and the shooter will be touching off a pipe bomb.
The second thing that will happen is that these developments will make it even harder to keep these in-lines legal for the special muzzleloader seasons, something that has been a never-ending battle in a number of states.  It's bad enough with all the newer ones using 209 primers and stacks of pyrodex pellets that generate ridiculous velocities.
Good shooting
Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts