Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, this is my first time on the forum as I am fairly new to this website, but have really enjoyed learning how to use it and all the info it contains.  I am not very computer literate and have just gotten into big bore sixguns in the last couple years and just got into CAS in the last six months.  My question is this - I have read much about using heavier bullets in 44 and 45 calibers.  However, in my new SBH( and in my old SRH) with 290 grain cast bullets or larger I would have a hard time keeping them on paper at 50 yards.  At 100 yards they will shoot a foot high.  With my new SBH my 240 gr. cast at @1100 fps will shoot a good 6-8 inches high at 25 yards.  I have the rear sight cranked all the way down.  I called Ruger and they said their guns are sighted in for factory ammo which I take to mean probably a 240 gr. bullet at 1400 fps.  I would think there would be enough adjustment in the sight to compensate for a medium velocity load.  All you guys talk about shooting heavier bullets.  How do you get your SBH's to shoot low enough? Thanks and sorry for the length!

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Zoonie,

Welcome to the board!

The short answer would be to install a taller front sight blade.

Ruger has about three different sight heights for the SBH/Blackhawk Revolvers. A few other firms offer them as well. A 1/16" Roll pin punch and careful tapping will push the pin out of the front sight base freeing the blade.

I believe the front sight blade for a 45 Colt Blackhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel is the tallest of them all due to the slower velocities of NORMAL loads in this cartridge.

I'd call Ruger and ask for availability on this blade and a price. Been a long time since I got one from them so I can't recall.

Regards, Ray

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
If you have a blued gun then the sight blades aren't interchangeable, so unfortunately that option isn't available.  I've been down this road with Blackhawks - Ruger has had several different blade heights for the .45 Colt revolvers, in particular.

Easy answer is to run the bullets out a little faster.  However I shoot a 240 gr. SWC out of a 7.5" SBH at about 1050 fps and the front sight isn't anywhere near all the way down.  Yours sounds unnaturally short.  Anyone filed on it?  Occasionally some genius will file the front sight down on an adjustable-sighted gun, probably so their chosen load will hit point of aim with the rear sight all the way down.

One easy thing to try is to increase your grip on the gun.  This can change point of impact quite a lot, and doesn't cost anything.

I have resorted to filing a little off the rear blade, and deepening the notch a tad to match.  But not much to give here.  I've also smoothed up the bottom of the rear sight to let it sit a little lower on the gun.

Best advice is to run your handloads just a wee bit faster, and hang on to the gun with a firm grip.  Hope this helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Zoonie,
I had the same problem with one of my Blackhawks, although i have forgotten what  one it was. A phone call to Ruger in Newport N.H.  revealed that there are 3 different  REAR sight blade heights available. The rear Blackhawk sight is common among the different chamberings. Come to think of it, i believe i was having a problem with a .32 H&R.Single Six. I believe i ended up using a blade for the .44 mag. Try a call to Ruger. Changing the REAR blade is quite easy!
Best of Luck!
Scott in Vermont

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Come to think of it, I think that the taller front sight for the SBH is from the 10" barrel model.

So you may get somewhere here.

Regards

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same problem when I changed to 300 grain bullets. The added recoil from the heavier bullet causes the muzzle to rise a bit higher before the bullet leaves the barrel.
I solved the problem by installing a scope (it was getting so I couldn't see the sights well anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts