Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an old RCBS scale (no model # that I can see but it measures to 505 grains) and a Lee Perfect Powder Measure today at a gun show for $20. The scale did not have a pan. I checked the RCBS website and their replacement pans are $18 plus shipping.....that is just not likely to happen. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could fashion a useable pan from?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
A small metal measuring cup would work well. Plastic will work too, but I prefer metal.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Get one of the plastic pans with the closed pouring spout made to fit over a case mouth. The work just like a regular pan but you will not need a funnel to charge a case.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Have you spoken to RCBS about the missing pan? They have a great customer service department and may just send you one as good PR. If not, you can just find a substitute pan. Maybe one from Lyman, Lee, Pact, Redding, etc. will work and be less costly. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
Don't forget - you'll have to rezero the scale if you use a pan other than what the scale is set for. Easy enough to do, but something to remember.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I only have two beam scales, the Lee and Lyman pro1000 and i remember reading in one of the manuals that they wouldn't sell a pan separately because it required recalibration at the factory when changing pans. Not sure which manual i read it in but i think it was the Lee.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
No one has mention it but the plastic pan will be subject to static electricity and make dropping charges from pan to shell difficult. Because of this I use the stamped alumnium pans that used to be regular equipment. Some say using a dryer sheet or anti static type product will eliminate the problem in plastic pans. Never had any luck so just got the metal.

With all the products packaged in metal containers today it wouldn't be hard too jury rig. Some beer products are packaged in alumnium container as well as deordants and other aresoal products. I would look for one in isles of WalMart until you found something that could be fabricated into a pan. If made from alumnium it will be easy to form a little where ever needed. I've seen Off insect repellant, LockEez lubricant, See Spray glass cleaner, sample size deordant aresoals (K-Mart and WalMart have large sections for travel size containers of various products). You want one made from alumnium that is drawn like a cartridge case where the bottom has no seams.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Don't forget - you'll have to rezero the scale if you use a pan other than what the scale is set for. . .
That's a good point to remember. I've been using the digital electronic for so long, rezeroing for a replacement pan escaped me. With my digital, you just hit "ZERO" after the calibration procedure.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I was gonna say it Marshal, but you beat me to it. The only advantage a beam scale has is that it doesn't require a battery or other power supply.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
. . . The only advantage a beam scale has is that it doesn't require a battery or other power supply.
matt, I have to admit I have learned to really like my electronic scale. I started with a Redding balanced beam but the electronic is sooo FAST that the Redding is now only kept as a backup!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Same here, I started with the RCBS 510, and I still have it in a drawer somewhere. All I remember is that it was so slow and finicky and I spilled a lot of powder with all the funnels and tricklers and such.

I was loading some 25/06 rounds tonight and while I weighed every charge from my Uniflow, I could have set it and loaded everything if I wanted, variation was only .4 grains for the whole 20 round batch.

·
Registered
863 Posts
If all you need is a pan Lyman sells one which includes the effect of a powder funnel. If you also need the pan hanger that won't be too tuff to make. You will have to devise some way to make the beam to balance well enough you can zero it with your hanger and pan in place.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
When switching pans with an RCBS scale :

The pan "Hanger" has a screw in the bottom that has a compartment under it with some small weights (some VERY small pieces of metal). if, when you get a different pan, it does not weigh close to the same as the one that came with the scale, you will need to remove the screw and add or remove weight from the compartment. check with it re-assembled, including pan, AND with sliding weights (or micrometer poise) all set to zero. when you get the amount of weight right in the compartment, it will zero on a level surface, with your new pan.

hope this helps.

P.S. when using this type of pan - hanger setup, I have found that it is necessary to periodically remove the pan, then unhook the hanger, and dump the hanger out, as it is possible for a couple - three grains of powder to get hidden in the screw slot, under the pan. keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are cheap electronic scales that also come with a seperate pan, if wanting only the pan it matters little if the scales are cheap.
Should get a cheap scale with pan for half that quoted $18 USD.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Plastic pan: had a couple of powders (TiteGroup was one) that just stuck to the plastic pan of the RCBS ChargeMaster. I simply gave it a light blast with the Frankford Arsenal graphite bullet mold spray. Nothing sticks to it any more.
As said, call RCBS and tell them you lost in a move and sound pathetic.
You can also look at the gun shows for a pan. You could ask your fellow reloader here if any of them have a extra powder pan.
You could cut an aluminum can and bend and trim to make a make-shift powder pan.
Your can check through your wife's cosmetic area for a little plastic compact, scrape out the powder, and use the bottom.
If you need a brush to dust-off your press, take one of the 30-40 cosmetic brushes every woman had (at least 6 of them are identical) and take it.
Back when I worked in a lab, I could take home several of the disposable aluminum weighing pans (went through 20-50 a day in the lab).
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0101752&pfx=

1 - 17 of 17 Posts