Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the 460 and the 500 S&W. Who has had some experience with either of these rounds and what accuracy and range should I expect if I scope it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the plain jane 500 smith with the 8 and whatever inch barrel a few years back. It was SUPER accurate with just open sights. What I ended up doing is mounting a T/C Recoil Proof scope on it and shot about 15 rounds through it before the crosshairs started to rotate clockwise inside the scope. Recoil proof? Not so much. Then I went to a Eotech 515 (i think?) red dot. Its the one that doesnt run on AA batteris because it is supposedly more recoil proof. After the scope mount coming loose two differnt times and finally getting a good thread locker on the screws and some epoxy between the scope mount and top strap, it finally stayed put during fire. It proved to be more than most mortal men could hope for as far as accuracy is concerned, just quite a large setup. At our range, we had 80 yards to the base of our backstop which is at least 35 feet tall with a good steep bank. I was shooting 3" trees standing freehand half way up the bank. It was a sick setup to say the least. I really miss it. It was sacrificed to obtain a titanium coated XIX Desert Eagle in 50A.E. So I guess 100 yards with a good scope with the 500 smith is no biggie, probably 150 with a good steady shooting support, and the 460 is supposed to shoot even flatter than that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Both are lots of fun and after shooting them with open sights at bowling pins @ 50 yds I quickly became very impressed with their accuracy. The recoil is stout but there is worse. I would think that if you are a hunter they would be great. If you like to shoot a lot I think you would be better off with something else. The recoil may wear you out and also the ammo will empty your bank account quickly. The worst recoiling handgun I have fired is an S&W 340PD which is their Scandium alloy J frame. When loaded with 357 rounds it is brutal. Most people don't shoot a second or third round. Good luck, Peter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the standard 8 inch .460 and the performance center .500, both shoot great.
One issue with the .500: the ejector rod will loosen and back out the ejector star preventing cylinder closing. Of course this is specific to this one revolver and not worth the hassel of returning to S&W. As far as scoping, I just put a cheapo Bushnell Trophy Red Dot on it and it has held up just fine. Have found the very best bullet to use is the Remington 385 grain Jacketed Spire Point. They are pricy at about $65.00 a 100, (that is up from $27.00) but dang do they shoot. The .460 is a shooter too, excellent long range accuracy.

That all said, if you want REAL long range accuracy, get the T/C Encor and scope them with the Burris 3X12 handgun scope, They are excellent scopes for long range shooting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the standard 500 S&W mounted with a Leupold 2x scope.

I have put about 1,000 rounds through it and have had no problems with the scope shifting.

At 20 yards from a bench it will shoot 5 shots into groups where all holes touch each other, and from 100 yards off a bench it is easy to keep inside 6 inches.

I tend to load it with 350 to 440 gr bullets at about 1400-1500 fps. It really likes H-110, Win 296, and Lil' Gun powders.

Barstooler

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts