Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this powder. A firend of mine gave me 16 oz container. Stated it was fffg. There are no markings just a white stick on label that says (Harzer Power) (reenactor) WP_06L0072.

Can anyone confirm if this is really fffg?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Use it, great powder. Much higher quality than Geox, you will get less fouling from it. And shoots well. I use 80gr in my Lyman Great Plains Rifle, no complaints. Cleanup is very easy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jaguarxk120,

The problem I have is I really do not know what grain it is i.e. FG, FFG, FFFG. I can't assume and if I put too much might damage my GPR or Hawkens.

I suppose I could start out very light load and work up but I do not feel comfortable not knowing! Schuetzen Reenactor is meant for shooting blanks.

Thansk for the response. I think I'll give it back to my friend.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If your not sure of what your shooting, your better off not shooting it. I am surprised that there is no label on the container. But I agree with you.

·
Registered
925 Posts
By going to the Schuetzen web site the information tells you exactly what you have. Reenactor powder is a mix of granulations (1.7mm to 0.3mm), seems to be a blend of all four powders mfg'd. Four F (FFFFg) is 0.5mm to 0.25mm size.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jaguarxk120,

Thanks! I did get to the website and confirmed the information. My buddy is taking the powder back. He does use it for firing blanks and cannons that he owns.

vietnam71

·
Registered
925 Posts
Get yourself a couple of cans of the Schutzen powder. It does shoot great and the powder fouling is softer. You will pay a little more for it, though it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have shot Wano which is made by Schutzen powder, and really liked the stuff. If shot well and cleaned real nice. But I have never shot actual Schutzen powder. Still my favorite black powder has to be Swiss. That stuff is just a great powder. But for the cost, I stick to Goex or Graf's and Sons.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
It is pure junk, all of it, Schuetzen, Wano, Swiss, pure crapola and you should purchase every can of it you find so as to protect others. Package all of this powder carefully and send it to me so I can properly dispose of it. :D :D :D :D

Seriously, Schuetzen is good stuff and what I prefer to burn normally under the "Graf's" brand name. But please, feel free to send me powder! Every pound you send gets you a silver star by your name, every ten pounds gets you a gold star by your name! 25# and you got a gold diamond! ;) :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
markkw,

If I can find Schuetzen locally here in the Hudson Valley, NY I'll try it. Your response had me rolling on the floor laughing.

cayugad and jaguarxk120,

Thanks for the feedback!

I hope all three of you enjoy the Christmas Holiday and have a Happy New Year!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a few cans of Goex from a Goex distributor and he also stocks Swiss powder. I inquired about buying the Swiss and indicated that I have no hesitation in paying 50% more for a better product; however, he directed me back to the Goex. Mentioned that cartridge shooter really like the Swiss powder as it is more consistent in granulation. That said, I would still try a can and compare the results to Goex.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
markkw,

If I can find Schuetzen locally here in the Hudson Valley, NY I'll try it. Your response had me rolling on the floor laughing.

cayugad and jaguarxk120,

Thanks for the feedback!

I hope all three of you enjoy the Christmas Holiday and have a Happy New Year!

Depending on who has what at what price, it may be most economical to order it from Graf's. The "Graf's" brand is Schuetzen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Schuetzen

Depending on who has what at what price, it may be most economical to order it from Graf's. The "Graf's" brand is Schuetzen.

Yeah Cayugad highly recommends Graf's he has used it before. I'm actually going to Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop in PA this Saturday to buy supplies. New York only allows you to have 5 labs of powder in your vehicle or home. I'm going to buy 3 lbs of ffg and 2 lbs of fffg. This will get me started.

Smokin50 from another forum recommends I get Wonder Wads as well. Have a Good New Year!

Shoot Straight and keep your powder dry!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Graf's & Sons is made by Wano. And Wano is made by Schuetzen Powder LLC . When you look at the front of a Graf's & Sons jug, its imported by Schuetzen Powder LLC and made by Wano Powders. I find it equal in strength to Goex, and cleans about the same. Its a good powder. It used to be a lot cheaper then Goex, but Goex is starting to compete with the Graf's. It it comes down to pennies, I will shoot Goex as I like to support an American (and only American powder company in operation still) company.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I started using Schuetzen/Wano many years ago when I got several pounds of 3F that was not right, massive fouling and didn't burn right. Then I had trouble getting Goex and ended up having a major issue with one of their distributors all within a period of about two weeks. Being in the black powder gun business, I called Goex to address the issues at which time I was told quite bluntly, "The sporting powder division is an extremely small part of the operation and more of a distraction than anything." I'm all for supporting American companies but when I call in and identify myself as being a black powder gun builder and that company not only doesn't care but actually tells you they don't care, why should I care about them?

First case I got from Graf's took less than five minutes to order and I got a 10% discount too. Not only did it come out being more than $3/# cheaper but unlike Goex, it has been extremely consistent from lot to lot and cleaner burning.

Being fair, I have not tried dealing with Goex since Hodgdon purchased the company so hopefully the new owners no longer consider the sporting powder a "distraction".

·
Registered
10 Posts
If one goes to the distributor list for either Goex or Swiss/Schuetzen Powder one will find Back Creek Blackpowder listed as a master distributor. Great guy to deal with and his shop is adjacent to the NSSA range in near Winchester VA. Give him a call, and he carries Swiss, Goex, and Diamondback (formerly Elephant) and will happily set you up. Good luck in your endeavors; keep us posted with your results.

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I still buy Graf's and Sons because it is cheaper and a more consistent supply of it is there. But when Goex comes down to meet Graf's price, I will go back to that route. Another powder I tried was Kik. That is another powder I liked. I think I ordered that through Powder Inc. It burned nice, had excellent power, and was well priced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts