Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 22-250 ruger 77 hawkeye. Don't have a lot to spend on optics...was wondering if anyone could give advice on a scope that would not cost more than $200. Also, any opinions on Cabelas scopes (who makes them?). going to use the gun for plinking with my son. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
T, I would say save a little bit longer until you can go 300 or so. I put a nice Nikkon Buckmasters 6-18x40SF on my 22-250. It was on sale at Midway for $299 I believe it was. Still is, I think. I don;t think you'll regret spending a little more on a quality scope. That Hawkeye and that caliber deserve it.....I think.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If I were you I would keep an eye out for one of the older model Nikon Buckmaster AO 4.5-14X40 scopes. They are kinda hard to find, but I have owned two of them and for the money they are a great scope. The last one I got off ebay for about $200.

Depending on which scope you are looking at, the cableas scopes are made by a couple different people last I herd. I had an Alaskan Guide scope that was made by weaver and it was a nice scope. An added bonus if you live near a Cabela's, something goes wrong with the scope, bring it back and take care of the problem that day instead of waiting to ship and receive a scope.

·
Registered
817 Posts
What power scope are you wanting and what is the intended purpose of the rifle? It you are wanting a 6.5 x 20 you are not going to get much for $200. However, if all you want is a 3x9 then you can get a usable scope for around $200.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all...Range Junkie - great question...no idea what I need - I'm not familiar with scopes at all...use a 3-9 for deer hunting beyond that have 0 experience. My dad has a farm that we will be shoting target at for fun...teaching my 3 boys what grandpa taught me...probably 2-300 feet...what do you think I need for that? Thanks again for all the insights.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The Weaver V-series scopes are excellent and within your price range.
+1, These are excellent quality scopes and you can get a V10 2-10x38 for under $200 which should be plenty of magnification for the ranges you mentioned. Also the new Redfield BY Leupold in 4-12x40 would likely work well too.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well for 300 feet a 3x9 is actually plenty but it sure seems unfair to a 22-250 to put such a limited power scope on it. They are really known for their long range capability and flat trajectory so I think I would have to put something in the range of a 4-12 on it. The Weaver or Redfield either one would serve you well. Redfield has had its ups and downs but since they have been bought out by Leupold they should be here to stay and you can expect good quality and customer service. I don't know how old your boys are but if they are pretty young I would stay away from the larger objectives such as 50mm. It's hard to get young faces up high on the stock in order to see through a scope with a larger bell. I have a problem with that myself having a slim face. I never could get comfortable with a 50mm objective with out some sort of cheek pad. You and your boys will have a lot of fun shooting that rifle. Those are good times you and they will never forget.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are good times...old fashioned, real fun. Thanks for all the advice. Take care to all. will keep you posted on purchase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts