Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy needs a bit of help (re-assurance) here. My brother leaned my new Optima with Nikon Omega Scope up against the service door in the garage....which was not shut all the way:mad:

Door glided open and the gun fell on the concrete right on the top of the scope...with me about two steps behind:eek:

Been worried about possible scope damage and todays shooting session wasnt great. This gun is brand new to me and I'm shooting with only a glove and a deck rail for a rest. 3" group of 5 shots from 50 yds.

Its a Nikon scope so I would THINK that it would be durable enough to handle this fall.

But my question is, how can I tell if the scope is damaged on a gun that I'm just getting used to? No glass fogging or cracks or anything. Rings and base seem rock solid.

Any help? I've hunted for 15 years but only now am getting serious about "shooting" so I have no experience here.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Move your target up first to say 25 yards. It should shoot a ragged hole at that distance. Also let someone else shoot it and see how it shoots for them. You do have a load worked up for the rifle don't you?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
"Shoot the square". Fire one aimed shot. Move the windage a dozen or so clicks left. Shoot again. The same number of clicks up. Shoot. Again, this time going right. And finally, click back down and fire a fourth shot. You should have put 5 shots in to a square, the last being right with the first. This is a pretty good test for showing everything is as it should be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts