Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
421 Posts
What will you be using it for mostly? I have a 4-12x40 AO on one of mine that seems to work well for me at the bench and for hunting. Practical range for the caliber IMO is about 125 yards or so, and this range gives me all I need. YMMV.
As far as brand, one of mine is a Cabela's brand and I'm real happy with it, especially for the price.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm probably mostly going to use it for ground squirrels and close range prairie dogs. I saw the caliber specific scopes from Cabelas and am interested in them. Only $69 on sale now for a 3x9. Is this the sme scope you are talking about au218?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I don’t know if it is still made or not, we have a BSA Sweet 17 straight 4X with a trajectory knob set up for the 17HMR. Once dialed in this has been a good scope for us. We use the heavy barrel Marlin for about the same critters. Skunks, picket pin ground squirrels etc are our primary use. The straight 4X scope is not too bulky or too powerful for off hand use at rather small critters.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have 2 of the 93R's One I have a Swarovski and the other a Leuoplod. I have a lot more in the scopes than the rifle, but its worth it

·
Banned
421 Posts
I'm probably mostly going to use it for ground squirrels and close range prairie dogs. I saw the caliber specific scopes from Cabelas and am interested in them. Only $69 on sale now for a 3x9. Is this the sme scope you are talking about au218?
That's the one. Works well for me, and bright enough for the squirrel hunting I do.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Probably too late to do you much good but I recently bought a Savage in 17 HMR from a buddy. Originally I had a Buckmaster 4.5x14 on it but had second thoughts. The same buddy bought a new heavy barrel Savage in 17HMR and picked up a BSA scope. I can almost hear you guys groaning out there. But the thing looked good, adjusted according to the marks and seems to be holding it's zero.

Since he had such good luck with his BSA (so far) I bought one too. It's a 4x16 tactical, adjustable objective, Mil Dot, illuminated reticule, 1/8 clicks and came with an aluminum sun shade.... all for $35, new in box, at the gun show last Saturday.

I really know you get what you pay for, especially in optics. I thought this was the ticket for a close range prairie dog gun that's gonna get beat around on an ATV. If it craps out, which no doubt it will, I'll just toss it and not look back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can second Monty on this one, I have had both the old generation of BSA in a 2-7x32 that came on my gun three years ago when i bought it, and the current generation in a 3-12x40 which i bought from cabelas 3 months ago for $65 (half of the MSRP of $130). i can say that the new generation is LOADS better than the old generation. I had lots of problems with the AO and parallex adjusment, as well as having it hold zero when i would change magnification (pretty hard to shoot that squirrel when your zero is always changing). I have not absolutly no problems with my new scope and am completely satisifed. If you have the money, go ahead and spend a little extra and get yourself a better scope, but if you are on a budget and find one on sale like I did, don't be afraid to go ahead and pick it up.

Good Shootin!!!

AgClone

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Welcome to the site AgClone. There are a couple rules here, Have fun and play nice with others. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Since i made the last post on the BSA I have that scope mounted and sighted in. Just been shooting at targets so far but I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Well, I have been there and done that a few times over the years and this is where I'd come down.

I bought a cheap 4X12 w/A.O. - Trashco and it was just that.

I bought the scope to have the higher magnification with adjustable objective to take advantage of the rifle manufactures claimed grouping ability.

The scope was NOT clear or really sharp, no matter what the adjustments. In short I got what I paid for.

I also bought a used 77/22 on which was mounted a Bushnell Banner scope.

The paralax on this scope was over the top!! BAD!!!!

I replaced it with a 2X7 Leupold, Not a rimfire scope with paralax set for closer distance, but even with that, it paralax was night to daylight BETTER!!

Again, you get what you pay for.

On my current Clark Custom 77/22 I have a Leupold 3X9 EFR (Extended Focus Range) scope which is great.

If the scope is focused, the paralax is also set, meaning the scope is great for 50yd bench sessions or 100yds plus. Just change the Objective adjustment and your good to go.

And yes, paralax can be a big issue in well placed shots.

The only reason I could think of for replacing this current Leupold scope on the RIMFIRE would be to increase the power, but only if the scope offered the same clear/sharp and adjustable features provided by the Leupold EFR.

Take a trip to the Rimfire Central forum. Those folk take their rimfire shoot'in very serious and can give you the real scoop on what works or not on rimfires.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Well, I have been there and done that a few times over the years and this is where I'd come down.

I bought a cheap 4X12 w/A.O. - Trashco and it was just that.

I bought the scope to have the higher magnification with adjustable objective to take advantage of the rifle manufactures claimed grouping ability.

The scope was NOT clear or really sharp, no matter what the adjustments. In short I got what I paid for.

I also bought a used 77/22 on which was mounted a Bushnell Banner scope.

The paralax on this scope was over the top!! BAD!!!!

I replaced it with a 2X7 Leupold, Not a rimfire scope with paralax set for closer distance, but even with that, it paralax was night to daylight BETTER!!

Again, you get what you pay for.

On my current Clark Custom 77/22 I have a Leupold 3X9 EFR (Extended Focus Range) scope which is great.

If the scope is focused, the paralax is also set, meaning the scope is great for 50yd bench sessions or 100yds plus. Just change the Objective adjustment and your good to go.

And yes, paralax can be a big issue in well placed shots.

The only reason I could think of for replacing this current Leupold scope on the RIMFIRE would be to increase the power, but only if the scope offered the same clear/sharp and adjustable features provided by the Leupold EFR.

Take a trip to the Rimfire Central forum. Those folk take their rimfire shoot'in very serious and can give you the real scoop on what works or not on rimfires.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
You definately won't get an arguement from me concerning spending money on a good scope. The Buckmaster 4.5-14 had served several years on a .223 varminter, without an issue. I bought the 17HMR for about 1/3 of what I paid for the Buckmaster several years ago. Since the scope looked out of place on that little rifle and I had a better use for it.... well that's where the BSA came into the picture.

If that BSA craps out I'll post it, to avoid having any from this site making the same mistake. With the limited use it's seen now, I'm happy with it and it's a better scope than the money would seem to indicate.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thanks MontyF,

Always good to know what works or OR doesn't!

Being an Ol'burnt out professional photographer, I still retain a thing about lens SHARPNESS!

That Trashco I mentioned wasn't!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what is strange as currently I am told that because of manufacturing advancements and computer design, many of our current camera lenses are as good or better then the pricey ones I bought years back.

It is to my way of thinking, sad that some lenses are now made of plastic, but as per color/sharpness/resolution current production CAN BE very good, even at lower prices.

Soooooo, all that to say this, there is really no excuse considering current manufacturing, for any company to produce scopes, camera lenses, etc. with less then high quality optics! If they are doing so, it is totally because they are trying to ring the last available nickle from the buying public.

BUT, AND HERE IS WERE THE TIRE REALLY MEETS THE ROAD!, what about the mechinics of the item.

You may be able to buy or produce quality lenses for a dime a dozen, but if the assembly and the mechinics along with optical design are not first rate you end up with junk that happens to have good lens quality, but it is still junk in the field or on the bench.

So, if we come back to the Trashco scope, were the problems due to poor lens quality, poor lense design or poor mechanics or all of the above. I'll never know, as I didn't wait around to find out. I'd already wasted enough time and money.

The machanics/design of a lower priced scope, may or may not be good - LONG LASTING -, but there is zero reason but excessive greed to not have good lens quality.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts