Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new here but far from new myself! I have an old JC Higgens model 41 single shot bolt 22 that was my first gun. It has an old small tube scope on it which is very accurate. However my Eyes are older that the rifleand I would like to put a new scope on it without spending a fortune.As I recall My dad had quite a time finding a scope that would fit it back in the day. Anyone have any suggestions on a good scope for me? I most likely will use it for plinking and maybe some pest and squirrels also it would be a good way to teach my granddaughters to shoot.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,654 Posts
Welcome. You going to update the bases/ rings as well? If you can get 1" rings then that opens up a lot of options. I'm not familiar with your rifle, does it have tip-off rings that attach to grooves in the receiver, or a separate base?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has a separate base that is attached to grooves in the reciever. no tip offs. I am hoping to go with 1 inch tubes

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,112 Posts
There are lots of scopes that are adequate for .22LR rifles. The 1" tube puts you in range of a bunch of them. Even the more economy scopes will be satisfactory for the .22LR. One thing - most such rifle scopes have the parallax set for 100 yds. As you will most probably be shooting closer, you might want to look at some of the shotgun or muzzleloading models which have a 75 yd parallax set.

A fixed power or lower range variable power will work nicely for your needs. I'd get the standard reticle - stay away from all those fancy or BDC ones.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I always thought a 4X rimfire scope was a perfect match for a 22. Simple, rugged, inexpensive, and most have a parallax setting of 50-60 yards. They are much easier to make with decent quality than a variable, so it's almost hard to get a bad one, although they are out there. Stick with a recognizable name and you can't go wrong. I have one from Nikon that is an excellent scope IMO. Go to a store that stocks a few and have a close look. I'm sure you'll find something you like.
Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
As the late Bob Faucett used to recommend, look at Cabelas Pine Ridge muzzleloader or shotgun scopes. I bought a 2x7 on his advice and have been very happy with it. Matter of fact so happy I bought 2 more. Last time I checked they closed out the 2x7's and only have 3x9's now. For the good news, they have 50 yard parrelax, the scopes are $69 dollars and have a lifetime store replacement guarantee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts