Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own a Ruger M77R in .338 Win Mag. The rifle was used exclusively for bench rest shooting (non-competitive) while stationed in Alaska. At that time, I mounted a Redfield 4X Tracker on it and that scope was later mounted on a 270 Win. The 338 has been in hibernation for 25 years and I'm about to purchase a new scope for it, probably a variable. Once that happens, its out to the range.

The scope I'm presently considering is Nikon's Pro Staff 5 2.5x10/40mm. As I no longer can shoot this rifle at the distances I shot it in Alaska, most shooting will be at 100 yds. My Redfield Tracker held up without issue and functions as it did when new on my .270.

My question is: Will this variable Nikon scope handle the recoil of a .338 Win Mag or be headed for the scrap heap after 50 rounds?

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I have 2 338s. one has a 15 year old Bushnell Elite 4-16x 50mm (that has been to the Arctic circle 3 time and on two safari). the other rifle has a Leupold 3-9x varx-2.

Never had a problem with either rifle scopes holding zero after thousands of rounds. i really don't think that the 338 is a scope eater. The Nikon should be good. I don't buy Nikon any longer after one failure.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Prostaff line IMO, have owned four Prostaffs with one on a fairly light Encore Carbine in .35 Whelen fed warm loads and it never hiccupped.

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
I have several Nikons, all Monarchs and Buckmasters but no ProStaffs, not a problem with any of them. It's unusual to hear of anyone having issues with a Nikon.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Just to clarify. I bought a new top of the line Nikon. It was unusable, the lenses were way out of line. called Nikon, they said take it back to the dealer. i did this the dealer did not want to take it back. But after an arguement, they gave me my money back.
I really expected, for the $$$ spent, that Nikon should have said sent it back and we will mail a replacement to yoou immediately, not even waiting to receive the bad one.

My learning was, they had Quality Control issues and they didn't have a friendly return or dealer program.

So i now buy Leupold or Bushnell. Just me.

In the 1950-60s i loved Nikon cameras (F body) and bought them on that basis when they later went into scopes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked out several scopes and decided upon the Nikon Prostaff 4x12/40mm with MilDot reticle. I weighed the optical clarity as best I could between higher cost Nikon models such as the Buckmaster, ProStaff 5 and Monarch. Also looked at Leupold scopes with similar characteristics and magnification. The difference for me was ever so slight with the higher cost models. The difference in price between the two helped make my decision. My youngest son (28) was surprised with the clarity of the Prostaff and he really liked the MilDot reticle (One I'm comfortable with as well).

Thanks again for the advice. I'm renewing my old shooting hobby so I expect to be visiting this forum pretty regularly.

No longer own my two Winchester Express Model 70s / .375 H&H. No need for that big caliper in the lower 48.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are so right

TnHunter's comment: " A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote
a blank check made payable to "The United States of
America" for an amount of 'up to and including my life.
That is honor, and there are way too many people in this
country who no longer understand it."

-------
I really appreciate those words, the sacrifices--the commitment to serve.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Own a Ruger M77R in .338 Win Mag. The rifle was used exclusively for bench rest shooting (non-competitive) while stationed in Alaska. At that time, I mounted a Redfield 4X Tracker on it and that scope was later mounted on a 270 Win. The 338 has been in hibernation for 25 years and I'm about to purchase a new scope for it, probably a variable. Once that happens, its out to the range.

The scope I'm presently considering is Nikon's Pro Staff 5 2.5x10/40mm. As I no longer can shoot this rifle at the distances I shot it in Alaska, most shooting will be at 100 yds. My Redfield Tracker held up without issue and functions as it did when new on my .270.

My question is: Will this variable Nikon scope handle the recoil of a .338 Win Mag or be headed for the scrap heap after 50 rounds?
Leupold, American made, lifetime iron clad warantee.
No brainer.

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
Just to clarify. I bought a new top of the line Nikon. It was unusable, the lenses were way out of line. called Nikon, they said take it back to the dealer. i did this the dealer did not want to take it back. But after an arguement, they gave me my money back.
I really expected, for the $$$ spent, that Nikon should have said sent it back and we will mail a replacement to yoou immediately, not even waiting to receive the bad one.
So i now buy Leupold or Bushnell. Just me.
Leupold, who I consider has the best warranty in the business, probably wouldn't send you a new scope without getting your old one first. It's unreasonable to expect any company to do that.

What does Bushnell have a for a warranty now? Used to be it was only a year for the original owner. I know that lens scratches and accidental damage still isn't covered.

Nikon replaced a buddy's binocs because of lens scratches.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Colonel, nothing has the warranty of a LEUPOLD on the market today! However, if going to the Nikon, up grade and get the MONARCH model. You will be glad you did, 3 years down the road.

Nothing wrong with the Bushnell upper end scopes either, I like their tactical models and have 4 of them in 5 x 15 power but not on a .300 Win mag that generates some 33 pounds of recoil to the shoulder.

I have a Leupold VX-2 on a .416 Remington mag that has been in Africa several times and never has it given me a problem with holding zero.:)

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Monty I personally trashed a Leupold VX-3 on a safari several years ago. The truck hit a warthog hole and the PH was thrown off the back end of the truck. I and my rifle flew into the air some 3 ft and the rifle came down on top the steel rails on the truck, the tube was crushed and scope ruined.

I sent it back to Leupold with a scope that was my wife's, she banged hers on a fence and the silver coating started coming off later. Now Leupold told me to send both scopes back to them. They in turn sent us 2 brand new rifle scopes and never charged us a dime by golly. Now that is what I call a great warranty on a product.;):cool:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Best Scope

Monty I personally trashed a Leupold VX-3 on a safari several years ago. The truck hit a warthog hole and the PH was thrown off the back end of the truck. I and my rifle flew into the air some 3 ft and the rifle came down on top the steel rails on the truck, the tube was crushed and scope ruined.

I sent it back to Leupold with a scope that was my wife's, she banged hers on a fence and the silver coating started coming off later. Now Leupold told me to send both scopes back to them. They in turn sent us 2 brand new rifle scopes and never charged us a dime by golly. Now that is what I call a great warranty on a product.;):cool:
I continue to see folks rave about new optical products, and it makes for good discussion. But with SO many testimonials regarding Leupold quality and warranty, I don't understand why it isn't everyone's first choice. What's a couple of hundred bucks extra on a lifetime investment? Not to bad mouth Nikon or Bushnell, but you're buying an optical device that you want to use for years to come. Looking through them in the store, or even outside, tells you what you'll see through them today. What you see through them five years from now is what you're paying hefty bucks for. Leupold is mighty cheap when you consider the lenses and the coatings, the mechanisms, the sealing of gas in the scope and the way they back up their product.

I recall times when I couldn't afford a new Leupold. One of my wiser hunting buddies advised me to buy a used Leupold with the money I could afford. Leupold rebuilt that used scope some seven years later when it was damaged accidentally. They charged me nothing. What a great example of a truly AMERICAN company!

Now that I can afford any scope I want, guess why I have fourteen Leupolds!!!:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.