Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just bought a Marlin 982VS 22 mag and was woundering what a good scope would be to throw on it. Variable or fixed power? What is everyone else using? Heard the Simmons 22 scopes are decent especially for the price.

Thanks

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like a fixed 4X on mine. I use it primarily for hunting squirrels so 50 yds is about my max range in the field. However I have used it out to 100 yds on the range with no problem. It is a Simmons 22Mag, and seems very good for the money, and all you need for a rinfire.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I like a fixed 4X on mine. I use it primarily for hunting squirrels so 50 yds is about my max range in the field. However I have used it out to 100 yds on the range with no problem. It is a Simmons 22Mag, and seems very good for the money, and all you need for a rinfire.
I have the same scope on my Ruger 77/22Mag. Fine for squirrel head shots to about 50 yards and larger critters such as ground hogs up to less than centerfire ranges.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
I'm not a fan of Simmons scopes just because of past experiences. However I've known some who swear they are okay for low end scopes.

I recently bought a BSA tactical scope for a .17HMR being used on close range prairie dogs. Never had a BSA before and always looked at 'em with distain. A good friend bought one and has good luck with it so thought I'd give one a try. The glass is surprisingly bright, it's variable 4-16, Mil Dot reticule, adjustable objective, 1/8" clicks and illumanited crosshair (not needed for my purpose). Bought it new for $35 plus tax. It adjusted without a hitch and has worked good so far.

I know you get what ya pay for especially in optics, so really expect it to eventually take a crap, but what do you get for that money these day?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm not a fan of Simmons scopes just because of past experiences. However I've known some who swear they are okay for low end scopes.

I recently bought a BSA tactical scope for a .17HMR being used on close range prairie dogs. Never had a BSA before and always looked at 'em with distain. A good friend bought one and has good luck with it so thought I'd give one a try. The glass is surprisingly bright, it's variable 4-16, Mil Dot reticule, adjustable objective, 1/8" clicks and illumanited crosshair (not needed for my purpose). Bought it new for $35 plus tax. It adjusted without a hitch and has worked good so far.

I know you get what ya pay for especially in optics, so really expect it to eventually take a crap, but what do you get for that money these day?
I wouldnt put one on a big centerfire, and am a believer in spending as much on glass as the rifle, but for a rimfire, I think that simmons is great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple of local Big Stores have, or had, the Nikon Prostaff
2-7x32 on sale for 95.00 + tax.
I aquired a couple, and will find out if they were worth it.

Seems like a good match for my 22 magnums.

Regards,
Old 112

·
Banned
605 Posts
I have 4 Simmons scopes on my 10/22's. All are the 22 Magnum style. 1 has the AO accessory. For this kind of rifle, for my kind of shooting and hunting, they are perfect. Especially the price. I've never had a problem at all with any of 'em.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,133 Posts
Do a Google search for 22 mag scopes and see what comes up. Think BSA makes a special scope that already has bullet drop compensation for the WMR.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts

Just an update, the cheapie BSA is still hanging in there on my HMR. However my buddy's BSA crapped out after a few outtings.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
My marlin 22 mag wears a Bushnel Elite 3200 4-12x. It is more scope than needed but it is adjustable for distance, especially close range. I shoot a lot of ground hogs under 25 yards and the close focus give a great clear sight picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Marlin 882SSV .22 Mag and I put a cheap Bushnel 3x9x32 on it. I think I paid something like $50.00 for it brand new. It has worked like a charm. I have used it for squirrel hunting and I can hit a quarter with it at 100 yards.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Scope for .22 Mag

Your budget and the accuracy you want are the deciding factor. I love excellent accuracy and good .22's can provide that - but not always with a $50 scope and hardly ever with a scope whose parallax is set at 150 yards.

Most of the folks I know that like their Simmons scopes shoot acceptably (under 1" at 50 yards) accurate at targets utilizing excellent daylight. I want to hit a squirrel in the eye consistently at 25 yards under twilight conditions. To accomplish that feat, you need to spend a little money or become a good e-Bay or classifieds shopper. I haven't found any .22 scope that can match the Leupold products, and I've tried everything except the new Weavers. And the new Weavers cost about as much as the Leupold.

Just remember that this scope to be purchased will probably be on that rifle for the rest of your life (Leupold has the best lifetime warranty in the business, even if you weren't the oiginal purchaser!), so spending $200 or so to enjoy untold years of accurate shooting is certainly worth missing a bunch of lunchs for!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just started a similar thread over at optics talk. The guy that weighed in with the best information is one of the moderators over there, and has his own blog called opticsthoughts.com. I trust what he says, to say the least. In any event, he recommended the Pride Fowler .22 Mag scope. You can find it here for less than MSRP. I plan to get one to replace my vortex crossfire. Here's the thread at the OT. I plan to get one. I shoot that rifle more than anything else these days. Scope for a 22WMR - The Optics Talk Forums

1 - 16 of 16 Posts