Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, got a quick scope question. I have a Winchester 70 featherlight in .223 WSSM and want to put a scope on it. I want to keep it under the $300 price range and intend to use it for varmint hunting. I was just looking for some advice on a quality scope for that rifle within my price range. I have looked at the Mueller 8.5-25×50AO Eraticator but want to know what you guys think, thanks!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Most catalog order companies are having scope sales right now and you can find exceptional values for under the $300 range on quality scopes such as Leupold, Bushnell, Weaver, Nikon and other quality makers. Google up Midwayusa, Natchezshooterssupply, Midsouthshootersupply, Graf & Sons, etc to find the bargins.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have a Mueller Eradicator on a 22-250. Muellers have very good glass for their price, I also like the fine reticle they use. That would be my first choice for a long range varmint rig. If your new to the .223wssm a few things you should know. They heat a barrel up FAST so let it cool quite a bit between shots if you want any kind of grouping. They also copper foul a barrel very fast so use a good copper remover often. The .223wssm has a reputation as a barrel burner that is undeserved, its a fine cartridge thats the fastest on the block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were you, rather than putting a scope on it I would just send that gun over my way, and solve both our problems!
Haha, I couldn't do that, got way to good a deal on this rifle but good luck finding one!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Don't put a big scope on a featherweight model 70. Anything bigger than a 40mm objective won't look right. My 223wssm featherweight wears a 3-9x40 and I won't go any bigger. You would be suprised how far you can shoot cranked up on 9 power. I have a 3-9x40 burris with the ballistic plex on a tricked out ar-15 and groundhogs are easy at 450yds with a rangefinder and just a little wind. I love the looks of my featherweight 70 but I can't get it to give varmint accuracy, so its my sons deer rifle. One of these days it'll get a custom barrel and it may become a 243wssm. Dave

·
Banned
415 Posts
Don't put a big scope on a featherweight model 70. Anything bigger than a 40mm objective won't look right. My 223wssm featherweight wears a 3-9x40 and I won't go any bigger. You would be suprised how far you can shoot cranked up on 9 power. I have a 3-9x40 burris with the ballistic plex on a tricked out ar-15 and groundhogs are easy at 450yds with a rangefinder and just a little wind. I love the looks of my featherweight 70 but I can't get it to give varmint accuracy, so its my sons deer rifle. One of these days it'll get a custom barrel and it may become a 243wssm. Dave
Sound advice, I suppose. I have the Bushnell Elite 3200 (3-9X40) on my Featherweight, and I'm delighted with the setup. I lent it to a 14 year old last hunting season, and that rifle hit the ground far more times in one day with him than it ever did with me. Never scratched the scope, or even changed the zero on me.

Also, on my CZ .223 I have a 10-36X60mm "ZOS" scope. Paid about $130 for it, and it extends my shooting time by about 10 minutes compared to my Bushnell Elite. Amazing quality, given the price. I believe it's a Japanese scope though (military)...just a heads up in case you have a problem with "sub standard" imports.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts