Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shooting a Md 71 in 450 Alaskan and would like to put a low power scope on it.
I shoot left handed due to a vision problem. I need to have the scope positioned directly above the bore and not offset to the left.
Anyone done this?
If so, what type mounts will work with the exisiting factory screw taps.
Thanks,
Roger

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
Roger, I believe that these guns eject cases straight up and so scope mounting is going to be a problem.

What are you using now, factory sights?  If so a receiver mounted peep sight might be an improvement worth looking in to.

Hopefully someone else can pipe up if they know how to scope a '71.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike

Yes, it does throw em straight up. I know Weaver makes a high side mount that centers the scope, but not sure how practical this is. Was hoping one of the thread users had some real time experience.
Also aware of the WWG scout system. Not sure if I want to lay my face that low on the rifle as it has real bite with heavy loads. Hi
Will continue to view this for whatever help I can get.
By the way, Merry Christmas
Roger

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I recently had a good look at a M-94 in .25-35 that had a Weaver side mount mounted on the right side of the action for a left hander. It worked but had to be cut a little to provide room for loading cartridges through the gate.

I have a .30-30 with a Burris forward mount and 2X pistol scope. I like the outfit and shoot reasonably well with it. You can use higher rings if you need them. Burris also makes extended rings to move the scope forward or back as needed.
If you mount one of these take your time and measure the screw that goes through the band. The screw is too long and must be shortend carefully. If you screw it down tight you will mark your barrel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Roger,
Win./Brownings can be a challenge to mount a scope on.  I was able to solve the problem, as you observed, using a 'scout mounting' system with quick-release rings.  I mounted a 2x7 Burris LER on a custom steel mount silver soldered forward the receiver.  The loads I shoot in the Win. Timber Car. produce a little higher TKO than a 375H&H and need a strong mount to hold up.  I was thinking too that Ashley makes a Scout mount for the Marlin-AO Lever Mount which perhaps could be adapted to your Mod 71 by a compentent gunsmith;  it again would be mounted 'scout style'.  If recoil is a factor, you might want to check into an Edward's Recoil System with a Pachmayer Decelerator Pad.  I have this  on a Browning 71 in 50AK and recoil is about like a 270!  Best Wishes!

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I like the looks of your forward scope mount.

I have a 2 1/2X on my M-94 Trapper in .30-30. I just wanted to try one of these.
I considerd soldering it to the barrel but thought that the .30-30 would not require it.
I like to have both eyes open when shooting at moving game and the forward mount works well for this.

I have a Winchester Timber Carbine. I installed a Readfield mount and a Weaver K-3. In less than 50 rounds the rear ring came up through the windage screws. Just right up through them.
I installed a weaver two piece mount and Millett angle lock rings. No furthur problems.

I am doing very well with both brands of IMR 4198 and .430 dia bullets.

Which powder and bullet daimeter are working for you? We should probably start another thread...
I am finding ball powders inconsistant, that is large extreme spreads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi William,
I too had some real problems with a mount attachment at first.  Started with an alumunim mount which shot right off with first 5 rounds.  The gunsmith then made a custom mount out of machined steel and soldered it on the barrel after we tested for riticule centering with shemming.  The QR Wayne Rings never gave me any problems!
Regarding loads:  
With Marshall's great 330g., .4315 dia, LFNGCDCG ahead of 48.0g of RL 7, using CCI L. Rifle primers, I'm averaging 2100fps @ 10' from muzzle.  Tim S. informed me I'm running at approx. 55,000psi- pretty stiff but quite accurate @ 100yds- aver. @ 1/14" with 7pwr. on scope on rest.
I abtained good results with Speer's 300g PSP ahead of 56g of H335 and CCI LR primers- (1/2g. over max. recommended in Speer manual)  I've been wanting to work up some loads using the Swift A-Frame 300g Pistol bullets.  Talking with people over at Swift, they said 444 shooters have been getting good results.  I believe they said their dia. was .430"- same as Speer.  Anyway, good shooting and Best Wishes!

·
Banned
35 Posts
Hi Jim B,
What length is your 50AK barrel? I am going to have one built and was think of using a 22 in. octagon with a full length mag. tube. Do you think this is to long? I want this rifle handy. I also want to be able to take advantige of this cartidges proformance.
Years ago I had a Win. 71 in 450-348 A.I. with a 24 in. barrel. It shot very well. I know what you mean about the steel butt plate. It can be very uncomfortable. Where do you get the Edwards System?
I have a scout rifle and never though about using that scope system on a big lever gun. Great idea!
Jack K.  

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jack,
Like you, I wanted this rifle to be 'handy' and personally preferring a powerful 'carbine' under 40" in length and about 8lbs., I opted for the 20" barrel length.  In that the Browning 71 'rifle' came with a 24" barrel, making it 45" overall, I'm still not as short as I could wish.  Wild West Guns recommend the 20" on their 50 AK conversions.  On the 71, I think it keeps the overall look and feel of the carbine balanced and with a McGowen #5 magnum sporter barrel- .700" dia. @ the muzzle plus a Ruger barrel band and fiber optic sight, I'm glad I went that route- but this is only my personal preference!  
Harry McGowen of McGowen Rifle Barrels- St.Anne,Il.-
(815) 937-9816- introduced me to the Edwards Reducer system.  He's been in the business since '59 and has probably done more 416/450/50 AK conversions than anyone.  I know he's done all 3 for John Kronfeld- in 'Big Bore Rifles & Cartridges.  I haven't checked to see if any other gunsmiths work with that system to date.  Maybe a phone call or two could help you find someone closer?  
Best Wishes on your project, Jack!
Just found the web site on the recoil reducer system for you Jack and where to find distributors.
www.edwardsrecoilreducer.com
Again, Best Wishes!

(Edited by Jim B at 2:20 pm on Jan. 10, 2002)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts