Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Usually use a Nikon EER Monarck in low power variable (1.5/2 x 4.5/5). Have used Leopold, Burris, Swift and Bushnell also but again they are low power variables. I'm not a long range pistol hunter so don't need the magnification or weight of higher powers.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Depends on the cartridge you'll be shooting, the recoil it generates and how long your shots will be. I have 2 Bushnell LER scopes in 2-7X, an original, fixed, 2.5x TC scope, and an Aimpoint.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My $.02--->(or $.03)

I currently own several(+) hunting pistols. A couple are not scoped and the majority are. The ones that are comparable to the Encore(which I own but in the rifle form)are the T/C Contender. I have a new(to me) one headed my way that is a Magnum Research,Lone Eagle.

I have been doing some (re)reading up on the LER/EER scopes that are on the market since it has been a very long time since I was in the market for one. I have since come to several conclusions.
1.There are more out there for <$150 than there are >$150. This to me, tells the real story of quality,warranty,durability,reliability,etc,etc
2. The reticules are pretty much the same(unfortunately).
3.The scope colors are all either silver(UGH!!),shiny(Here I am!!)or matte black.
4. Limited size objectives(for obvious reasons). Very few AO's(if you think you really need one). Otherwise parrallax free @ 50yds(close huh??)
5.Eye relief will vary quite a bit from scope to scope,but basically outstretched arms length back to as close as 12 inches.
6.Pay close attention to the scope's outer dimensions. Some are so small that you have to use the smaller(<.75") width rings.

IMO,pistol scopes have not come very far since I bought my last one. Well.........not very far except in price. I still believe,as with a rifle scope,that a vairable is the way to go. But with a vairable pistol scope it is important to determine if the scope will put the bullet in the same place when the power setting is changed. I have seen pistol scopes shoot as much as 4 inches different @ 50yds when cranked up from 2X to 7X. With my Leupolds the POI will stay the same.

I have seen written, some bad things about the Burris pistol scopes durability under recoil. Simply hearsay...yes.

Some of the $70 scopes will spin the glass or shread the crosshair wire. Some will loose their nitrogen. Of course, think about what calibers people are putting scopes on nowadays.

I have a scope ordered that cost $80. It has a glass etched reticle. I will see how this one holds up to the miniscule recoil of a .243Win. If it gets trashed,I will spring for another Leupold which will cost darn near as much as the pistol it will be mounted on. BUT.......when you mount a Leupold you can go ahead and use RED Loc-Tite on them rings(not really) cuz it will be there forever.

Good Shootin' -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been hunting for a number of years with Encore pistol barrels, most notably a 250-300Savage AI. I have become frustrated with the field of view on my 2-7x Burris scope at 2 power. Decided to install a Bushnell Holoscope about two years ago. Groups are 100 yards are about double (2") than with the scope, but being able to shoot with both eyes open and see the full field of view has been a worthwhile trade off. Would not recommend this set up if hunting at distances over 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I use an Aimpoint 9000 with the .308 Win 15" bbl.
Pete

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Two Encores, 450 Marlin with 2X Leupold, 375 JDJ with 2X Burris. Like them both, no problems. Both are pistols.

Don

·
Banned
31 Posts
I have the Burris 4X on my 35 Remington Contender and I really like it. I am also looking for another handgun scope right now, and having a hard time deciding what to get. I got a new barrel yesterday in the 7MM TCU and am thinking I might want a variable power, but never had one on a handgun before. Anyone have any thoughts on fixed or variable scopes?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Maybe.......

......this wil/does oversimlpify it but.....if you put a 4x scope on it, you got 4x,if you put a 2-6X on it,... you still got 4X PLUS several other choices.

I love my Bushnell Elite(2-6X) that I have mounted on my Lone Eagle. If I had to decide on a fixed power,I would opt for a 4x though. -----pruhdlr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts