Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I'm looking for a scope for my S&W 22a. Have been looking at:
NcSTAR Illuminated Pistol scope for $55. What is the advantage of having an "illuminated" scope? I can buy the same scope not illuminated for $43. If this is not a scope I would want, which one would you recommend? I don't want to spend over about $60. Which is better for my 22, 4X32 or 2-7X32? As you can tell I don't know much about this. I have a scope for my T/C contender that came with one of the barrels, but my ruger sr9, S&W 22a, S&W 38 all just have sights. Can a scope interchange with all my guns? Please help!

Thanks, Bernie:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
An illuminated scope has an LED light source that lights up the reticle. In low light situations, black crosshairs can be difficult to see, but illuminated crosshairs stand right out.

The magnification that is best will depend on the distances you are shooting and whether you are shooting at paper or game. In general, a variable power scope will not be as bright as a fixed power scope of the same objective diameter. I have never used a pistol scope, so I can't say what special factors may come into play there, but I do know what the benefit of a pistol scope is that it has long eye relief. With a .22 LR, you probably aren't going to be hunting even 100 yards, so a 4 power scope is fine for hunting. On the other hand, I have a 4 power scope on my .22 LR rifle, and for target shooting at 50 yards, I wish I had more magnification.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
Good for shooting pigs in the dark. Check your game laws; if that isn't allowed (or other varmits), then not much use for one in my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts