Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

This is my first post on your Forum. I am glad I found it, as I need help in deciding which scope to purchase for my Browning Gold Deer Stalker, 12 gauge, Slug Shotgun. This gun is used in central Illinois, primarily during deer hunting season.

Currently, I have an Aimpoint Red Dot on this gun. I am considering changing to a scope, primarily because the Winchester Supreme Partition Sabot (SSP12) has extended my shooting range well beyond 100 yards. Long shots are common where I hunt, as we often take deer in open fields.

The two scopes I am considering are:
1. Leupold VX-III 2.5 - 8X 36mm.
2. Nikon Monarch 2 - 7X 32mm.

I am leaning toward the Leupold, but I don't want to dismiss the Nikon as I have been hearing good things about it. My hunting partner has selected the Nikon.

All thoughts and/or opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Either of those two scopes certainly have more than enough top power for anything a 12ga. slug can be used for and a good low power setting. Would have to be sure before buying that it would mount with the correct eye relief to be useful...modern scopes just doen't have a wide latitude of mounting choices. IF the two, I'd lean towards the somewhat lighter Nikon.

The heavier a scope, the more stress to the mount from recoil...the higher the scope mounts, the more stress to the mount. 12ga's seem to loosen up their mounting systems on a regualr basis. Light weight and low to the bore line seems to be the best way of keeping them solid.

Brother has one of the Browning A-Bolt rifled 12gaa. they made for a few years...looks like a fat barreled varmint rifle until you see the muzzle. This one he scoped. While his choice was a 2.5-8X, that was mostly made becasue (1) he wanted a scope that weekend and (2) it was onf of the few that fit the mounts with the right eye relief for him.

I'm more of a red dot kind of guy...my ranges ae not that long, it's usually pretty dim if not downright dark where I'd hunt with the slug gun, and I prefer pump shotguns.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ribbonstone:

Thank you for the quick response. You offered some very good helpful recommendations, which I will remember as I make a decision.

Your comment on eye relief really hit home for me. In fact, I asked about this very issue the other day while in a local sporting goods store. The employee stated he would mount the scope to fit his eyes, unless I happen to be in the store when he mounted the scope. I plan to be available when the scope is mounted.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
With one scope, my brother's Browning would recoil from a bench rest and slap the hat off his head. Never touched his face or his head, came close enough to feel the breeze and slap his cap's bill every shot. Really not an issue in hunting...and at the bench we learned to put the sling on the rifle and then set the sand-bag on the sling to keep it from rising enough to knock his hat off.

So he found a scope with a bit more eyerelief...wasn't a physical harm, just knowing you'd feel tht scope coming within a fraction of an inch was enough to make shooting it less than fun.
------
Have to say, he's never hunted with this gun. His thoughts were that this is a "just in case" gun. He's a pessimist...believe that when "they" come for the guns, shotguns would be last (assult weapons, handguns, rifles, and shotguns...that's his prediction). So he bought this thing to have something that could still reach out and "touch" if needs be.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,244 Posts
Most scopes made for shotgun and muzzleloaders have a 75 yd parallax adjustment from the factory. The scopes you've mentioned will have 100 yd adjustments. For the distances indicated, go with the regular centerfire scopes.

Again, some scopes have extended eye relief for mounting on shotguns or "scout" mounted rifles. You can check the specifications provided by the manufacturers to find which ones have this extra relief.

Both scope brands mentioned are quality, IMHO, and you should be pleased with either.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kdub said:
Most scopes made for shotgun and muzzleloaders have a 75 yd parallax adjustment from the factory. The scopes you've mentioned will have 100 yd adjustments. For the distances indicated, go with the regular centerfire scopes.

Again, some scopes have extended eye relief for mounting on shotguns or "scout" mounted rifles. You can check the specifications provided by the manufacturers to find which ones have this extra relief.

Both scope brands mentioned are quality, IMHO, and you should be pleased with either.
Just thought I would report that I ordered the Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36mm and it is enroute to me. Whereas my hunting buddy ordered the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40mm. I tried to persuade him to move up from the Buckmaster to the Monarch, but I wasn't successful.

My next mission is to fully understand what is meant by "Parallax" and how, if it all, it affects my usage of the scope.

Thanks again, to each of you, for your thoughts.

Dan

·
Banned
332 Posts
Take a look at the Leupold-FX-Series. The FIXED-POWER 2.5-W/A HEAVY-Duplex reticle would be perfect for what you are seeking. I hunt deer in Iowa with 2-870's...One set up with MMC-Ghost-Rings...and one set-up with the FX-Scope I mentioned. The Heavy Duplex reticle really stands out in all diverse and low-light scenarios, and is ideal for quick target aquisition on deer stepping out of a corn field, or moving through a tree-line. It's a helluva slug-scope.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mercmarine said:
Take a look at the Leupold-FX-Series. The FIXED-POWER 2.5-W/A HEAVY-Duplex reticle would be perfect for what you are seeking. I hunt deer in Iowa with 2-870's...One set up with MMC-Ghost-Rings...and one set-up with the FX-Scope I mentioned. The Heavy Duplex reticle really stands out in all diverse and low-light scenarios, and is ideal for quick target aquisition on deer stepping out of a corn field, or moving through a tree-line. It's a helluva slug-scope.
mercmarine:
I took a hard look at the Leupold fixed power and initially thought this is how I should go. Right or wrong, I finally decided to go with the variable power for a couple reasons:

1. I am using a Winchester sabot that has take down power up to and beyond 150 yards. My plan is to set the scope at 2.5X when I begin hunting each day. Then if the situation warrants, I can crank it up to 8X for a long shot.
2. I have the option to use the variable as a binocular, to view distant deer activity and/or to help evaluate a specific deer before it is within shooting range.

If I ever hunt again in heavy under brush, I will probably switch back to my Aimpoint Red Dot, which I think is a top notch product.

Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Leupold makes a shotgun/muzzleloader scope in 2-7 with a heavy reticle that is parallax adjusted for 75 yrds. For the range that a shotgun is effective, I would not be concerned with this issue that is a concern primarily for long range rifle shooters. I have a 1.75-6x36 Leupold on my Knight muzzleloader that is perfect for this gun. It would be perfect for a slug as well. A really good source to get what is right for your application is riflescopes.com. They guarantee the best prices and the service is great also.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RDFinn said:
Leupold makes a shotgun/muzzleloader scope in 2-7 with a heavy reticle that is parallax adjusted for 75 yrds. For the range that a shotgun is effective, I would not be concerned with this issue that is a concern primarily for long range rifle shooters. I have a 1.75-6x36 Leupold on my Knight muzzleloader that is perfect for this gun. It would be perfect for a slug as well. A really good source to get what is right for your application is riflescopes.com. They guarantee the best prices and the service is great also.
Right or wrong, I elected to go with the Leupold VX-III, 2.5-8X 36mm. Again, primarily because we do a lot of open shooting during deer season and it's not unusual to have that perfect shoot well beyond 100 yards. I will begin each days hunt with the scope set at 2.5X and then adjust it upward if the situation warrants.

I agree, riflescopes.com is an excellent web site. Although I didn't purchase the scope there, I did buy several accessories from them.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.