Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.Well I just pick up a Super BlackHawk .44 with a 7.5" barrel.I want to put a scope on it,and I thought you guys might help me get a good one. I can spend around a couple hundred bucks.I've been looking at the Weaver scopes and there tap free mounts.I'm kinda new to the scope thing. I'm mosty going to use it for bench. Any help would be great.Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I shot Blackhawks, Redhawks and S&W .44 magnums for a lot of years. IMHO, I don't use scopes on a handgun. If you need to do that, get a rifle. I'm a purest who is into motorcycles as well as guns. I see guys loading their cycles with so much crap that I wondered why they just didn't drive a car!

I've fired .44 magnum at silhouettes at 200 yards with iron sights. That's a challenge and it's fun!

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your .44 any way you want to. Let us know how it came out.

Flash

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Interesting logic, using a handgun for 200 yard shooting, if you need to do that, get a rifle?

I have 2x8 EER Leupolds on two of my eight .44 mags and thoroughly enjoy experimenting with accurate, longer range shooting. The Performance Center S&W goes 2" at 100 yards and the SBH goes 2.5" at 100 yards with custom loads However, my full loads, sighted dead on at 100 yds. drop 15" at 150 yds. and 31" at 200 yds. so I stick to the first 100 yards for hunting. I've tried other EER handgun scopes and had problems with the sight picture going black if my eye wasn't in perfect alignment, and the Leupolds have been more forgiving.....but unless you can find a used one, suspect $200 wouldn't get the job done for a Leupold.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dok. They are a little bet up there in the price. I guess you get what you pay for. Have you ever used the Weaver 2.5x8x28 Classic ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
B-Square mounts work nice...

I had a nice setup on my old SBH. It had a B-Square (clamp-on) mount and a Burris 2X scope. I've since sold that revolvler. I also have a hard time staying centered in the scope, so now I use a red dot scope with no magnification. It is much easier for me to find the target and get off a shot with this type of scope.

Here is a link to check out the B-Square mounts:
http://www.gunaccessories.com/Bsquare/Revolver.asp

Hope this works for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello Backwoods.I have used Leupold,Burris and weaver hangun scopes and I have found the Burris to be the best as far as repeatability "returning to zero".However I have become quite fond of my 2X weaver for hunting on my Freedom Arms seeme to have a better field of view .Hope this helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome GoBoilers.This is a good site. I have a red dot on my AK and they do work well. My eyes are getting "OLD" and I just want this gun for bench work mostly. Thanks for your help and hope to see you on here in the future. Skull13. "Should" I be look at the 2x scopes, Not the 2.5x8x28?.? Thanks

·
7,762 Posts
Thanks Dok. They are a little bet up there in the price. I guess you get what you pay for. Have you ever used the Weaver 2.5x8x28 Classic ??
No, just Burris and Bushnell and the Leupold that worked best for me.

Dan

·
7,762 Posts
I am going to remove the last several posts and ask all involved to keep their remarks pertinent to his original question of what scope would you recommend for installation on his handgun. If you don't want a scope on your handgun, fine, but that does not pertain to this thread......

Dan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Backwoods, you say you are going to use this mainly on the bench so I think the variable may be the better choice . For target work I have a burris 1-1/2x4 with a fine crosshair and a 1 min dot works well on targets but hard to pickup under low light conditions hunting.I have this scope listed on the trading post it is mounted on a 7mmTCU contender barrel .I may consider selling just the scope.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Skull13. I looked around here for the trading post but could not find. What model is it?I looked on the Burris web site and didn't see one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Backwoods,It's on page 2 under contender barrels for sale the scope is on the 7mmTCU barrel.I will look up the model number and get back to you.The fine crosshair with dot was a special order.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I guess the exact model is not listed anymore but Midway has a similar one listed product #523-799 priced at $289.00 this one is silver finish with a duplex recticle where as mine is gloss black with fine crosshair and 1min dot.

·
7,762 Posts
Gentlemen,

Appreciate you may not be aware that we ask sale communications to be conducted via PM or email. Certainly not a major offense and you're welcome to use the forum's PM (personal message) or emailing capability. Thanks for your help.

Dan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all that help me.I put a Leupold XF 2x20 on layaway.Picked up a Weaver mount no tap base and now all I need is the rings..I'm trying to keep the wait down but want one that is strong.Like I said,thanks you guys really helped..

·
7,762 Posts
When it's all up and running, let us know how it works for you.

Dan

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I use mainly Leupold on my handguns and hand cannons. I have yet to shake one up using SSK's TSOB multi-ring mounting system and I have them on some pretty heavy recoilers, .45-70, .50 Alaskan, .454 Casull, .309 JDJ (mildest of the bunch) not to mention a couple of .44 magnums.
I also have two Burris. The first is a posi-lock 1-4x which shot itself apart on the .454 in 15 shots despite having 4 rings in a TSOB mount. What killed me was Burris balked at fixing the scope with a list of things that voided the warranty half as long as your arm. They fixed it but it took a lot of fussing and after they finally agreed to fix it, it took them 6 weeks. And I tell you, it was no fun dealing with them. It has since lived its life after being repaired on a .22 LR Ruger Mark II. It has held up fine on it. My second Burris came with a Savage Striker that I bought used. It is a 2-7 and seems OK and has so far held up OK on the .458 SOCOM, which I had the Striker rebarreled to.
On the Leupolds, all mine are 2x except for a 2.5-8x on the .309 JDJ and I have never had a problem with any of them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts