Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm new here and I only joined because my rifle (scope in particular) is acting up

I have a Simmons 6-18x50 mounted on my Savage 93r17 -- a .17 HMR rifle.

I love this gun, and with the aid of a benchrest, it will put a .85 inch three-shot group at 100 yards, with no wind.

The other day, I was cleaning it and it was up on the bipod. The dog hit the table, and the rifle fell over, with the scop hitting straight onto a solid box of ammo. After the anger had flushed out of my system, I took it out shooting with a buddy, only to find that it was now shooting about a foot to the left. Once again, with no wind.

We sighted it in again at 100 yards, and it was once again hitting its sub-MOA three-shot groups. I put the rifle up in the gun safe, until today.

My father and I wanted to go squirrel hunting, and I wanted to see what this thing could do as a tree rat slayer... so naturally, I wanted to take a few shots at a paper target at 50 yards, just to be sure it was okay. Yet again, no wind.

To my suprise, the bullet was hitting close to 2 feet to the RIGHT of where I was aiming at 50 yards, and after much wasted ammo, and much cussing about the scope, Dad and I got it close, (It now shoots about an inch high and an inch right at 50 yards) and it still holds a very tight pattern.

I cannot adjust the thing to the left any more; I have run out of windage adjustment.

I cannot even adjust the zoom on it now. Since I have screwed in the windage adjustment so tight to the left to get it remotely close, the zoom ring will no longer turn, and is stuck on 6 power.

I don't really even care about the windage running out of adjustment. What I REALLY want to know is why my rifle is suddenly WAY off--still throwing great groups--but now its like the windage adjustment took a poop on my scope :mad: :mad:

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated

P.S.-- We're going hunting anyways. I'll update on how it does with me using my Kentucky Windage :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
a Simmons is an ok scope... as long as they never get knocked around like yours has... in that respect, their durability (or lack there-of) is why Simmons has caught such a bad rep in the past 10 years.

as much as you may hate to hear it, i think it's time for a new scope

check out a Centerpoint for a "nice" cheaper scope. I have one on my .308, the adjustments are sharp and positive, pretty good glass, and as far as i can tell, holds its zero perfectly.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Well, Brian -

Sorry to see you only joined the board because of a scope question. Hopefully, you'll find the board much more wothwhile than merely answering your problem with a scope.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,745 Posts
Probably time for a new scope. Check that the mounts aren't damaged.

Oh well, stuff happens......

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My experience with Simmons scopes, in terms of optical clarity and accurate adjustments, has been good -- except for one that took a 6' fall from a stand, the scope hitting a ladder rung on the way down. It's adjustment mechanism was shot.

Of course, I had only paid $35 for it brand new, it had been on the rifle almost four years,and I had a new-in-box replacement at home in the gun locker; so that rifle still wears a Simmons today, 10 years later.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Brian, sorry about your scope. Sounds like it's had it. Time for new glass.
Lot's of good glass out there.
Im partial to Leupold, older USA made Pentax, Nikon and Burris Fullfields. Look around and see what is on the used shelf at your local shop in the way of a Luepold. The lifetime warranty means even buying used is a safe bet.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brian. Hope you get your scope problems
straightened out. This is a great forum. There are a lot of guys on
here that are really sharp and have tons of experience. Tune in
and I'm sure you will be impressed, as I was.

Zeke

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I dropped a Simmons Atech scope rifle out of a tree a few years back. Screwed the scope up beyond repair and it was clearly my fault, but Simmons/Weaver did give me a new one (a Weaver K6) at factory wholesale. It saved me about $30 and the K6 is a really clear bright scope.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Hey Brian...another Hoosier, here. :)

Before you chuck that Simmons in the garbage, here is some free advice that probably won't help at all:

Run your adjustment all the way back to the right, counting the clicks, the come halfway back, to center it. (Can you now adjust the power?) Bore sight the gun again, as though it was a brand new scope. You should loosen and re-tighten your bases and/or rings, in this process. If you're on paper at 50 yards, adjust your POI until you're happy with it. Shoot it from bench and field positions. Holding the gun firmly, shake the snot out of it...the 17HMR doesn't exactly pound a rifle with recoil, so it may not be rattling loose parts around, if you have things broken internally.

Odds are, all of the above will be a waste of time. IMHO, Simmons makes just about the worst scope on the market and I won't put one on anything other than a 22LR that I don't ask much of, in terms of range or extreme accuracy. However, the fact that you're still able to get tight groups, once you've adjusted the scope, has me suspicious...usually when something in the SCOPE is broken, you can't shoot a decent group to save your life. Honestly, I am wondering if your bases/rings are just a tad loose, now?

Good news is, you aren't out a whole lotta money on that scope, if it is trash. The nice thing about some of the better brand scopes is they will replace it for you...even if your dog broke it! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the useful info, guys! Really makes me feel welcome on this site, and I think I'll come here for all of my dad and I's questions from now on :)

What I ended up doing, because I was fed up with the scope in general, was just take it off my rifle. I put a little Tasco 3-9x32 on it that was laying around. For right now, I think it'll have to do till I get a new scope. But suprisingly, it's doing fairly well!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've owned several Leupolds in the past 27 years. I still own the first one I bought in 1984. It's a VXII 3x9x40. That scope has been on 5 rifles from .223 R. Ranch to R. No.1 .300 Win. It's been well abused and not once have I had to rezero it. Dropped it in the driveway on the elevation cap while on the .223 and it was fine. Not once have any of the others needed zeroing either. All my others are VXIII's.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Hey Brian, another welcome to the site.

I had a Simmons Whitetail scope that wouldn't hold zero. Finally got miffed at it after sighting it in for the millionth time and just gave it to my girlfriend's son. He sent it in and Simmons upgraded him to an Atech for just a few bucks. They may do something like that for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts