Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a nice used Burris compact scope for my 444S. I checked the eye relief and it should be just perfect and not give me any new facial decorations when I shoot this thing. It's not a scout scope or pistol scope but it has a good three inches of eye relief so I'll be mounting it in the standard position and using a trigger spur because the ocular lense covers the trigger. My question for the forum is; what kind of scope mount and rings should I use? I don't like weaver mounts so I'd like to use burris or leaupold bases and rings. Does the 444s have the same dimensions as the 336 as far as scope bases go? What are you folks using?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
John,

I believe that all the modern flat-top Marlin centerfire guns use the same hole spacing for the scope bases. As an example my 336 and 1894 are the same. The 444 is a modification on the 336 receiver. From the looks of Marshall's pictures of his 444s, it is the same as well.

I use the Weaver (63B) scope base. Any reason you don't want to go that route? Makes for a cheap quick-detach mount and you have the option of iron sights.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Burris one piece base and Burris rings. I found a great chart they have on their site for their scopes.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
John,

Do you have the link for that chart? That would be a handy thing to know.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,959 Posts
From one Measan to another, Welcome to the board, Johnacarver!!

Do your shooting out at Rio Saladio gunrange?

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks kdub,

Yes now that summer is upon us I'll visit Rio Salado more often. I usually shoot out in the desert but it's a hassel now getting all my equipment (water, umbrella, first aid, target stands, etc) out there. Public ranges kind of scare me...

·
23,959 Posts
Rio Salado runs a pretty tight ship as far as safety on the General range. Members and guests have to sorta regulate themselves on all the other ranges.

I usually shoot EARLY on Thursday mornings. Come on out and we'll get acquainted. Just ask the Rangemasters for Ken Wood - they all know me.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If you ever plan on using the iron sights, you may want to consider QD rings. On ours we used Warne Maxima Steel Weaver style bases and the Maxima Steel QD rings. Off and on in a heart-beat and always return to exact zero. Just something to think about down the road if you ever think you might want to ditch the scope in a hurry (or even have a back-up scope sighted in and ready to go if something happens to your primary scope while on that once-in-a-lifetime hunt a million miles from nowhere).

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the burris compact scope is mounted and the burris mount and rings are awesome.

Ken, I went out on Thursday morning but you must have taken the day off:) I'll be going out Saturday the 12th.

·
23,959 Posts
Too blamed hot, Johncarver!!

Also, had some personal things come up that locked up my range shooting time (youngest daughter and family moved across town to Awatookie and good ol' Dad is only one in family having a pickup!!). Saturday's will usually be jam packed out there - think I'll wait 'til next Thursday, the 10th.

Ken

·
Registered
29 Posts
johnacarver said:
I just purchased a nice used Burris compact scope for my 444S. I checked the eye relief and it should be just perfect and not give me any new facial decorations when I shoot this thing. It's not a scout scope or pistol scope but it has a good three inches of eye relief so I'll be mounting it in the standard position and using a trigger spur because the ocular lense covers the trigger. My question for the forum is; what kind of scope mount and rings should I use? I don't like weaver mounts so I'd like to use burris or leaupold bases and rings. Does the 444s have the same dimensions as the 336 as far as scope bases go? What are you folks using?
The occular lens covers the trigger? These Burris scopes must be less compact than I thought, usually they would barely cover the hammer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts