Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent much of the afternoon today at the sporting goods store owned by a friend of mine. I bought a new .308MX there a couple weeks ago and came back to have a scope mounted. What an ordeal. After many attempts at different bases, rings, scopes, and screws my friend decided either the holes were slightly off or the receiver top was not completely level. We settled for Leupold QR bases and Burris medium rings with shims. I wanted low rings but had to settle for this for now. Anyone have similar experiences or a formula that works?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I used a Weaver base with Millet anglloc rings with no trouble at all.
I use this set up on all of my lever-action rifles with a variety of scopes. I have a Burris Timber line on it now. I did not use the shim provided by Marlin.

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Timberline was my first choice, but I decided I needed a little more magnification and depth of field with this caliber. My problem now is the shimmed system is patented by Burris and Burris does not make a low mount ring. The system as it exists on my rifle is a tad high. My friend the store owner has gone fishing for the week so I can't discuss this with him until next week. My only option might be sending the rifle back to Marlin, but I am told this .308s are hard to come by and it could be a long wait getting a replacement. Its too bad the quality control failed here. My friend said last week he had to send three rifles back to Winchester because the receiver holes were not in line.

Actually, I do have another option, and that is to start all over again and put a shim under the base rather than shimming the rings. That way I could use low rings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put a bear creek comb elevation kit on my 338MX. Makes a huge difference.

Enquiring minds want to know why Marlin didn't have an elevated comb option for these. They've released a 336 deluxe in the past with one, so they must have a master pattern somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts