Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened on a thread from CCAguns that was posted a little over a year ago about him having problems with the rear scope mount being too low on an 1885 highwall. I have the same problem with mine. I have had the rifle several years now and had just a straight 4 power weaver on it and never noticed the problem until this year when I went to replace it with a Ziess. When I loosened the rear screws the scope tipped up about a 1/16 of an inch. Doesn't matter what I do it is the same. Couldn't find any threads that explained the solution to the problem. Any help would be great. I was going to order some Leopold mounts but that doesn't sound like it solved anything. Thanks

·
Registered
829 Posts
1885 gap between scope mount and ring

I have 5 of these rifles, and I know that 4 of them have this same issue you refer to. I don't think it is an issue, I think it is their design to hold the scope firmly in place. The fifth may have the same issue but I have not mounted a scope on it yet. don't worry about it mount the scope and have it bore sighted it will work fine. When the side screws are properly torqued the gap is closed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, but it just doesn't seem right to have things that far out of alignment. With the cheap Weaver scope I didn't really care and I wasn't really able to dial it in really good with the 4 power but with the Ziess I worry. I wanted to use the rifle for long range with the Rapid Z. What I tried was tightning the rear screws and just snugging down the front ring a little. But what I have noticed is if I push on the side of the scope it moves all over from side to side when looking at the boresighter. I currently have Burris bases on the rifle and it seems like the front one really doesn't seem good and solid on the octagon barrel. I am thinking of haveing it checked by the local gunsmith because I am having problems with group size since I changed scopes. And yes I tried my Leopold 4.5X14 on it too thinking I got a bad scope from Ziess but it was the same. I sometimes will shoot sub inch groups at 200 yds. and then 6 inch groups other times with all them being fired off a Caldwell rest.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good luck in figuring out the problem, if you do find a problem, please let me know th fix. Like I said I have 4 rifles that do the exact same thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have three low walls (.223, .243 & .260). The .223 came with factory mounts. The .243 and the .260 I have used Burris High Wall rear mount and a Leupold Low Wall front mount to get them to work. The Burris High Wall rear mount is narrow and doesn't extend rearward like the Leupold one does.

So I have two Burris front mounts for High Walls. If anyone wants one to try PM me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts