Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I found a way to make use of extra scopes thanks to Gander Mountain messing me up. They put two cheap scopes on an 870 before a prostaff cut the mustard. I put a Burris 3x9 on an old .375 win big bore-what a difference-and better still is a cheap but good enough 2x7 rem scope that came along on a slug barrel for the 870. It seems perfect for the 39a that had been collecting dust for years. Now I can try coyote hunting all year and man-there's no shortage of those things just outside city limits. I would like to use my .243 but you can't this close to Milwaukee. I hope it is enough gun for a coyote. Are there any ideas on rounds?
Mike

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
The 39a is a lever-action rimfire? What caliber is yours in? I would consider using a 22WMR on song dogs, but not so sure about the standard 22LR stuff.

·
Banned
442 Posts
I have just shot my fiftyith coyote and have used everything from a 22lr to a 416 Taylor. I would recommend bigger caliber than a 22lr or 22 mag. After shooting many with a 222 Ren and 223 Rem I had difficut time killing coyotes CONSISTANTLY with these.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
22lr

Hi,
I thought it would be too light, but I had to ask. I wish it was in the mag, that would be legal. I am forced to use a rimfire around here. I know just where to go because I came across a mess of dens a few years ago. I could not believe how many there were. Some that I have seen deer hunting are so bold that they just trotted by me looking both ways but paying little attention to me. In camo and using scent and calls I thought I may get a close enough shot with the scope to put them down with the .22. I sure don't want to spend a bunch on a new gun. I have 20 ga. 870 rifled with a nikon and Hornady rounds that they claim are good to 200yrds. What would be better?
Mike

·
Banned
21 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to hunt coyotes with a .22LR as long as I could get in a good shot. I suspect I'd try hollow points and go for lung or heart shots. They'd go a ways but would not last long. If you're close enough for 'ear' shots, solids or HP would do the job nicely and they'd drop like a rock. It's all a matter of shot placement. If you can get close enough on a stand with camo etc, you should be able to shoot inside a quarter coin with a Marlin 39 with a scope. Those things are incredibly accurate. I've killed squirrels at 50yds+ with mine with iron sights. They're pretty impressive on accuracy.

·
Inactive account
100 Posts
When I was growing up in central Texas, 'yotes were not the only predators. We lived at the edge of town and had some chickens. I don't remember just what kind of dog it was getting our chickens; but he was big. Dad stood just inside the front room of the house, bracing a little Remington .22 on the door frame. He shot the dog with a .22 short at a distance of at least 50 yards. We heard the dog yelp just as he disappeared into some brush. Dad and I went to the spot and found the dog. He was only about 10 feet past where he was shot. He was dead, with a small entry hole on his right side, and a hole about the size of a cup on the other side with intestines hanging out. Yes, I believe a .22lr can kill a coyote.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.