Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a Jack Weigand mount for my 500 S&W. The scope mounts came with four rings and i applied two to my scope because that is the normal thing to do. Well it turns out that the 500 has so much power it rocks the mounts and my scope moves all over the place. It actually pushed the scope fourward. I did not realize this happened until after i bore sighted it and took it out hunting two days ago. An dthe Scope mounts came with friction tape that i applied. I don't know what to do in this situation because I can not put both mounts on the rail. If anyone could help me, i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Can you three of the four rings? You could try lapping the rings to see if that helps any. It might give you better contact on the scope tube and hold a little truer. I used some of that friction tape one a set of rings once and wasn't impressed with it at all. I found the rings were better off without it. Those 500's are definitely some hard recoiling handguns (also a lot of fun to shoot). The only other thing I can think of is actually using a bedding compound and just permanently mounting the scope to the rings but they might be a little drastic unless all other attempts have failed.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My being fairly new to guns and scopes, take this as $0.01.

I have noticed most people complaining about scope damage and such use three rings and some of the BSA red dots and such are made so you can mount the normal two rings, put the hood on, and mount a 3rd ring for magnum and black powder guns.

On the older Bushnell and Thompson scopes I have (never used - inventory I looked at to answer the question) for the magnum and black powder pistols, the scopes have indents so they can be rail mounted and the rail positively locks the scope with the allen head bolts so they can't move. The rail bolts/screws directly to the plate that has pre-drilled holes.

The Bushnell phantom handgun scope manual lists base plate mounts for each individual revolver/rifle it is suppose to fit.

So ... if it was me, I would buy a scope meant for a magnum pistol or Thompson black powder or Contender (?) and then get the base plate and such from Cheaper Then Dirt or someone.

I would only buy a scope with a life time warranty from someone in the USA that offers a fixed S&H charge for returns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts