Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't got the foggiest idea how to assure that the reticle is level on my handgun scope. I have a Leupold boresighter to get on paper, and have thought about using the Segway Reticle Leveler. Is it any good for revolvers? Is there a better way? The lines on it seem kind of thick to do an accurate job. I've also thought of using a gun vise and making sure the topstrap of the SRH is level. Then attaching the boresighter and leveling it using one of its flat sides. Then I could use it as a reticle leveler. However, I'm not sure the sides are square with respect to the sight pattern inside the boresighter. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, and God bless.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track.  You might try tacking up something with a line pattern on whatever wall the gun faces when clamped level in the vise.  Then you could get it precisely leveled.  You also have to be verrrrrrryyyy careful when tightening the ring screws that you don't turn the scope a little off level.  That problem can drive a fellow half nuts.
Mark

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've used the Segway leveler on many handguns and it works just fine.  You don't need fine lines to line up with.  I just tilt my head up or down so the horizontal part of the reticle lines up with the top or bottom edge of the line on the leveler.  Works great for me.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Southpaw

The simplest way is to tighten the rings to the point you can turn the scope with a moderate amount of effort.  You the hold the gun out in shooting position with a straight line, which can be either horizontal or verticle, in the field of view and use that as a reference.  This, especially a vertical line suchas a door frame, will give a reference for the gun and the crosshairs.  When it looks right, tighten the ring screws about 1/2 turn at a time alternating side to side, it should stay straight this way.  Note that you only need to do this with one ring, and when it is snug it will hold the scope while the screws for the second ring are tightened.

If the rings are Weaver type, you want to make the initial tightening sufficient so you can only turn thr scope with some difficulty.  This minimizes the amount the ring cap can turn the scope as the screws are tightened.

Remember, perfect is not necessary, only aesthetically pleasing!  If the crosshairs are vertical when you hold the gun in a comfortable fashion for you that is close enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have only mounted one scope on a handgun (S&W 686, 8 3/8"barrel, Leupold scope) , but I did it the same way I mount my rifle scopes. First I place the gun in one of those plastic handgun shooting rests (I think it is made my MTM but am not sure). Then I placed a line level on the rib with a rubber band holding light tension on the level to keep it in place. I eyeball the level to see that it appears level and that the rubber band isn't skewing it to one side. I have a blaze orange string thumb tacked to the ceiling with a sinker on the end that I use as a plumb bob. I then look through the scope and line up the vertical crosshair with the orange string. I keep checking to make sure the level bubble is still in the center as I make adjustments and tighten. There is some parallax in the scope at this range, so I can move my head left to right so that I can place the crosshairs right beside the string and see that they are parallel. I also own the Segway device, and I sometimes add that as another means of checking my results, but I find that it isn't as easy to use as the plumb bob.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use 5 or 6 feet of fluorescent orange yarn with a 1 oz. lead fishing sinker on the end suspended from a light fixture to align my vertical cross hair with as a perfectly "plumb" reference line when setting up my scopes.

I have a magnet mini-level that will sit on any flat level surface on the receiver of the gun.

If the vertical cross hair is plumb & the bubble showing level I start to carefully tighten the screws.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Assuming that your bore sighter has a square grid, and assuming your scope base and rings are flatly/squarely mounted above the bore just line up the grid until it's squared with your reticle. That's why they make them that way. You can't get them to line up unless thay are both level. By "level" I mean level with the gun held exactly verticle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts