Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mounting my first scope on a rifle. I bought medium rings as this is what was recommended to me. The front of my glass is just barely touching the front of my rail. I can just barely slide a piece of foil between the optic and the rail. Is this too close? The rifle is .308 cal and has a bit of a kick to her.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
If it was touching you wouldn't be able to slide any paper between the scope and the barrel. If it's almost touching, it won't hurt a thing except you won't be able to put lens covers on the scope. I'm assuming when you say "rail" you mean barrel?

·
Registered
819 Posts
If I can slide a piece of paper under it I am happy,I like to have the scope as close as I can to the barrel without touching. I see scopes mounted so high it makes it hard to mount the gun without correcting your cheek height.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Not knowing the type rifle (MSR's typically have scopes mounted pretty high), I think it's important to check what height you need. Different folks have different body shapes. Have a stroll through Wally World to check that premise.

My SIL is 6' 8" and 250 while I'm 6' and 200 and we do not utilize the same height rings normally. To check which is the best height for you, mount your rifle repeatedly with closed eyes and then open them to see where your LOS is. (this will also assist in setting proper eye relief)

All that said, as already mentioned, if it's not touching when properly torqued down it will be fine.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not knowing the type rifle (MSR's typically have scopes mounted pretty high), I think it's important to check what height you need. Different folks have different body shapes. Have a stroll through Wally World to check that premise.

My SIL is 6' 8" and 250 while I'm 6' and 200 and we do not utilize the same height rings normally. To check which is the best height for you, mount your rifle repeatedly with closed eyes and then open them to see where your LOS is. (this will also assist in setting proper eye relief)

All that said, as already mentioned, if it's not touching when properly torqued down it will be fine.
Excellent advice!
Each individual rifle will fit each person differently, and the scope height on each rifle may also be different to accomplish proper natural line of sight.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Three things determine scope ring height: Size of the scope bell and barrel, Bolt handle clearance, and the comb-line of the butt stock.

I like a scope as low as it'll go because I like classic stocks made of wood. The Ruger M77 and #1 are as high as looks 'right' to my eye (1/2" DOC and 5/8" DOH) and that means the center of the scope is 1 1/2" or less above the bore line and no more. Big 'tractor fuel funnel' scope don't fit my rifles and I have no use for something that doesn't fit. Other shooters 'adapt' by raising their heads above the stock or have a high stock that the bolt doesn't clear or some other 'make do' combination.

It's a VERY rare individual that has a face that's different than 1 1/2" from cheek bone to the center of the eye.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Example of 30mm medium rings mounting a 44mm objective lens scope that leaves less than 1/8" clearance. The check pad allows MY check weld to exactly line up with the scope. Scope height above rifle bore is about 1.5". FWIW I just noticed the age on this post!

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Example of 30mm medium rings mounting a 44mm objective lens scope that leaves less than 1/8" clearance. The check pad allows MY check weld to exactly line up with the scope. Scope height above rifle bore is about 1.5". FWIW I just noticed the age on this post!

Is That a Hawke Vantage 2.5-10x50? Is it the illuminated reticle model? I'm curious to how you like it. Thanks (y)

Reactions: Travis299

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,885 Posts
Joebarr was a drive-by poster from 4 years ago, Travis. 😉

Reactions: Travis299

·
Registered
5 Posts
Three things determine scope ring height: Size of the scope bell and barrel, Bolt handle clearance, and the comb-line of the butt stock.

I like a scope as low as it'll go because I like classic stocks made of wood. The Ruger M77 and #1 are as high as looks 'right' to my eye (1/2" DOC and 5/8" DOH) and that means the center of the scope is 1 1/2" or less above the bore line and no more. Big 'tractor fuel funnel' scope don't fit my rifles and I have no use for something that doesn't fit. Other shooters 'adapt' by raising their heads above the stock or have a high stock that the bolt doesn't clear or some other 'make do' combination.

It's a VERY rare individual that has a face that's different than 1 1/2" from cheek bone to the center of the eye.
All this. And beware that a real close to barrel scope bell will hold a drop of rain water out hunting. Risk of rust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.