Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guy I could use some help I'm thinking about putting a scope on my Western Auto Model 200 in 30/30 what do you guys think will be a good scope for it .

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Lots of scopes will work well for you. I, personally, prefer a compact or small sized scope for my lever guns, one with a 20mm objective seems to fit those type rifles very well and any scope with 2.5X or so should work for most any reasonable shot with a 30/30. There are not many fixed power scopes around any more at 2.5X though. One of my favorites is the V3 Weaver (1-3x20). They can be found for about $150. +/- Another good scope would be a Leupold VXI, II or 3. I have a couple of the VXI S/G scopes 1-4x20 with HD reticle and I really like them, about $200 for them.

Nikon has a Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20 scope that's on closeout for $179. that was previously selling for $259. Their newer Monarch Africa Series 1-4x20 is another nice scope and very similar @ $279. Lots of hunters like the 2-7x32/33 scopes on their 30/30s and they work just fine, but I really like the smaller objectives on those type rifles. I own all these scopes and would rate the Nikon Africa the best, followed by the Monarch 1.5-4.5, the Leupold and then the Weaver. However, they are all good quality scopes that should fit the bill.

Good Luck!

Here's the Nikon on closeout.

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.c....5x20 Ultra Wide Scope Nikoplex Reticle Matte

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Another pretty nice little scope for those lever guns is the Bushnell 3200 Elite. I put one on my .35Remington using Burris Zee rings. The scope is a 2-7x32 and it was $149 from Bass Pro Shops last February. I used a Weaver one-piece base which was $10.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Yes, low mounting is my preference too. I had some see-through rings on my 1894 and I could NOT comfortably shoulder and cheek that rifle, and still see through the scope. Of course, length-of-pull is really the deciding factor, But from here on out, I won;t use see-throughs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
9mm, if you look at Natchez for the discontinued Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 then you should also look at the discontinued and discounted Nitrex TR1 1.5-5x32 scope Natchez has for $90 after rebate. The Nitrex is a better bargain and will have optics comparable to the Nikon...have two Nitrex TR2s with same glass, just more features, that have outstanding optics. This scope is basically a Weaver Grand Slam scope. Weaver and Nitrex owned by same company. Here is Natchez webpage for scope.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...tail&brand=WE&prodID=WE94554&prodTitle=Nitrex TR One 1.5-5x32mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

·
Registered
877 Posts
Scope for .30-.30

Get on e-Bay and find yourself a good old Leupold 2 x 7 Vari-XII. 2 power is very low, but much more usable than 1 power. And the 7 power will let you zoom in to better appreciate the buck you may be shooting. This scope had a little larger objective than the 1" or 25.4 mm tube which helped with light gathering. It had a great field of view and I loved it on my .30 -.30 many years ago. I've seen them on e-Bay go for as little as $110 used, and Leupold always honors it's guarantee. I've bought several scopes on e-Bay and was very rarely disappointed.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts