Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a Winchester Model 100 carbine in 308. I plan on using it for my closer hunting situations (100 yards or less). Not a brush gun but just a short range rifle. I have several other rifles that I use for well over 100 yards.

I am waiting on the bases and should have them in a week or so. I need a scope for it.
I really don't want a 3-9 on it. I have a Nikon 2-7x32 that I thought about putting on it.

Any other suggestions? Don't really want to drop $300 on a scope for this gun. Maybe $100-$150. Maybe a little more.

Darin

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I own a M100/.308 Carbine as well. Great gun! I have a Leupold VXI SG 1-4x20 with HD reticle on mine. I'm gonna call it perfect for that short, handy rifle. :D I shot my biggest racked buck ever with that rifle.;)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
100 yards or less, why use a scope? If you don't have any open sights, then a simple 1-4X or the 2-7X you already have will be more than enough.

·
Registered
877 Posts
As most of the guys have stated, use what you have. A Nikon 2x7 should be excellent for that carbine. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I put the Nikon on that gun I have to get a new scope for my 30-30. I am thinking hard about a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32. Or just go with another Nikon exactly like I have.

Darin

·
Registered
381 Posts
Darin, Take a hard look at the discontinued Nitrex by Weaver TR1 1.5-5x32 for $130 at www.natchezss.com Nitrex has a $50 rebate on it so final price is $80 plus Natchez shipping. This scope under Weaver label costs around $290. Nitrex and Weaver both owned by same company.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nitrex 1.5-5x32

Just got the Nitrex in the mail today. I just got a chance to open it and take a look at it before heading to scouts. Looks like a decent scope. It is getting dark and i took it outside to take a quick look. Looks like it will work perfectly for the Winchester Model 100.

It is clear as my Leupolds and Nikons, just lower power. This is my first low power scope. I think I may like it.

Darin

·
Registered
381 Posts
very glad you like it and yep, pretty decent optics in the Nitrex scopes. Gents I shoot with own the Leopolds, Nikons, Sightrons, Burris and etc. I've had many of them view thru my Nitrex TR2s for their opinion of it.....all were impressed with Nitrex optics....none thought it inferior to their scopes.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered my buddy a Nitrex TR2 4-20x50. He is putting it on a custom Remington 700 chambered in 7mm Dakota.

I am waiting on the base to come in for the Winchester 100 so I can mount the scope. I am looking forward to shooting it.

Thanks!

Darin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts