Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many people use scoped handguns for hunting. I used one for this deer season. I saw a coyote and a house cat. Neither of them looked big enough to eat but I was amazed as to how small the field of view was on these animals. I don't think there would be any way to stay on a moving animal with the scope. I think I got used to the shooting at paper or gong and forgot about the need to see around the target. I have removed the scope and am going to concentrate on the open sights. Maybe next year I'll actually see a deer to shoot at.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Bushnell Holosight on my revolver. Plan to try it on hogs in the near future.

The holosight has no magnification so field of view doesn't apply. You just look through the glass and you see a circle with a central dot superimposed on your target.

After getting used to it I find faster and more accurate than iron sights. The only drawback is that, unlike a scope, the "reticle" is always at a fixed distance (around 50 yards). If you shoot closer than that, the target is a little out of focus but not NEARLY as bad as with iron sights.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you going to be hunting hogs around St. Louis?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Old Jim
As a handgun shooter for close to 50 yrs now, it was a sad day for me when I finely had to admit to not being able to see the front sights clearly any more. I tried various types of glasses etc without much success. I have been shooting scopes for several years now and do agree the field of view is a problem. I use a 2X leopold on my 454 but do not have much success in SE kansas on whitetail as the movement of deer thru the trees is very dufficult to follow thru the scope. Here in Idaho in a more open space it works fine. What I found works the best in Kansas (Ozark type cover) is my 41 or 44 topped with one of the red dot type scopes. The holoscope is to me the most easy to use as there is no scope like tube to deal with. I use a 1X power tasco pro point with a 4 minute dot and can easily keep 4 inch groups at 50 yds over a rest thur my blackhawk. I don't much like taking any shot on game that is moving unless quite close, therefor the only whitetail taken as such was right under my treestand. The dot type scopes are zeroed just like a regular scope and with a little practice are much quicker to get on target for me and of course the best part is that they are always in focus for my ageing eyes.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Scopes

I have used scopes on my Contenders for maybe 20 years. I have used, 1.5, 2, and 4X. 4X is too much. Even tried a dot at one time but hated it.

I have switched to Leupolds on all but one gun.

It takes a bit but you should be able to get pretty fast with the scope. I have shot running deer and once quick drew on a wounded buck and dumped him so fast my son was amazed. Takes practice but you will never regret the scope.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old Eyes

I have come on a solution for the bad eyes and blurred sights.

Go to the local print shop and find some black pressure sensitive paper. With a leather punch, punch the smallest hole you can. 1/16" is about perfect. The inside edges of the hole must be sharp and clean. Cut the hole out, leaving about 1/8" all around the hole. Stick this onto the INSIDE of a pair of old glasses that the prescription is still fairly good on. The hole should be located above your normal line of sight and, for me, slightly toward the bridge of my nose. If it is located as above, it is out of alignment of your normal vision and you quickly become used to it being there.
When Aligning my sights, I lower my head slightly, look throught the tiny hole and, believe it or not, the sights and target are much clearer.
If you can't find black paper, use any color and a magic marker to get the black, making sure that all of the edges of the paper are black.
Give it a try. You might be out fifty cents if it doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a SuperRedHawk 44 Mag Scoped with a Bushnell 8 to 28 eye relief, high shock,amber cross hairs, trophy series, this is a great scope for the money, holds zero fine, just take some time to get use to using a scope on a handgun, scopes can produce the best shooting you can obtain with a high powered handgun, the 7 1/2 inch barrell balances well, I also use a shooting stick at my stand if I have to take a long shot, you won't believe how good you can shoot with a scope, I even tryed shooting at 100 yards with my shooting stick and grouped 6 shots 2 inches high all together in a 3 inch circle, I was surprized how accurate a scoped handgun is, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rmouleart,
I know I shoot better on paper with the scope with my 9.5 SRH. I've managed to scare myself with some wonderful shots (well over 100 yds) and had a great deal of confidence going into the season. As the season progressed I began to doubt whether I could find a moving animal in the scope and get a reasonable shot. I know that a standing shot would be duck soup.
I too have discovered the shooting stick. I recently cut some small persimmon trees and one of them is going to make me a shooting stick long enough to be used standing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our old eyes

Hey Jim,
At 54 yrs old and having, a substantial astigmatism, I had to resolve myself to not being able to see the iron sights a number of years ago. I went to red dots for whitetails. It allows me to shoot with both eyes open as with a shotgun, and what you see is what you get. That is, the dot is the point of impact.

30mm objective or larger is what I prefer.... Adjustable MOA dot is a plus.... I have taken deer to 200yds with my 7mm/08 T/C but I rarely shoot at a moving animal.

I even put one on my bow because I couldn't see the peep site, pin and target at the same time.
Try it , you'll like it!
BRFIXIT

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brfixit,
But you don't understand. I'm cheap. My Ruger rings are 1" and the red dot I bought for the slug shotgun is 30 mm. This means I've got to buy larger rings and that hurts my soul.

Say does anyone have some 30mm rings for a Super RedHawk thay would be willing to part with? Or a source for cheaper rings than the Ruger factory ones?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Leupold 2x scope on my RRH. I can sure shoot better with it on the handgun,than when it`s not. It helps these old eyes out I can tell you that. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello Old Jim,

Sorry for joining late. I have been using a 2x Bausch & Lomb on my Redhawk for about 10 years now. I shoot quite a bit better with it than iron sights when I can rest the gun on something. If I am shooting unsupported this combination is heavy enough that I shoot no better than with iron sights. I suppose I ought to get my girly-man arms practicing unsupported more.

Like you, I found that I have difficulty tracking moving animals, especially when they are inside of 30 yards or moving through heavy brush. I have considered switching to a red dot on many occasions. I hate the idea of having a perfectly good scope collect dust though.

I originally put the scope on after passing up several ~75 yd shots because I did not feel confident trying it with iron sights. With a scope and a decent rest I feel I can put a deer down quickly at 75-85 yds. The handicap is, at closer range, following game in the scope is tough. My dilemma (sp?) is; I see many more deer inside of 50 yds than I do at 75 yds but I do not want to remove my ability to take the longer shots.

I justify to myself keeping the scope because I only shoot at still deer. It has little to do with the scope though. I just never have been comfortable shooting at deer moving at a pace faster than when they are feeding. If I spot a moving deer I whistle softly. It usually stops them in their tracks and I take my shot. Anyway, hope this helps with your decision.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
weave,
I now have the options of:
1. Red Dot
2. 2X Scope.
3. Factory Iron with Red insertand All Black.
4. Factory iron with V back and gold bead front.
5. Gold bead front and "One Ragged Hole" rear in two sizes.

Of all the 2X scope is best on paper.
The factory iron with the black front is the best for rapid target acquisition. The Red Dot looks like it might be a reasonable compromise. I'll work on it some more.
Ain't it great to have something like this to play with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Burris 1.5 x 4X is a great compromise for a 100+ yd pistol bec @ 1.5 you won't loose a deer walking under your stand at under 25 yds., and @ 4x you'll be able to place your shot @ 100+ yds. The field of view is narrower at all powers, so you'll have to learn to shoot with both eyes open, esp if your target is walking.
Their 2x7 or 1x4 is perfect for 200+ yd pistols for the same reasons as above. Field of view is less important as you will have to firmly rest the pistol at the longer ranges, and your target should be stationary.
Varmint pistols (~ 223 Contenders) = 9x fixed.
Use the 9x on all your pistols, to work up loads @ 25 yds. When you shoot 1 ragged hole, move to 50 yds for serious development. Your 50 yd groups "should" double at 100 yds, all factors remaining the same, and the 9x will allow a precise hold @100.
Then mount your hunting scope, and shoot @25, 50, 100 to see how you will realistically hit at those distances.

I've had a slew of 2x leupolds on my 454, 475Wildey, 44RSB. When the 100 yd shot presented, the deer looked like a silhouette target in size thru the scope, hard to differentiate rack size in a group. I wished for 4x or more!
Likewise, I couldn't pick up a deer walking walking toward my tree stand, from 25' in a typical NYS forest with a Fixed Leupold 4x on my Contender. I could plaimly see it with my eyes. With a 1.5x, my Contender would have spoken!
The moral of the story is....VARIABLE !

Anyone want to buy several 2x and 4x Leupolds, exc Condition?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Old Jim said:
Just curious how many people use scoped handguns for hunting. I used one for this deer season. I saw a coyote and a house cat. Neither of them looked big enough to eat but I was amazed as to how small the field of view was on these animals. I don't think there would be any way to stay on a moving animal with the scope. I think I got used to the shooting at paper or gong and forgot about the need to see around the target. I have removed the scope and am going to concentrate on the open sights. Maybe next year I'll actually see a deer to shoot at.
I use a Swift 4x on my 454 SRH. I make it a point to use sticks or a knee as often as possible.
One very important thing in my book is to practice bringing the gun up to what you are looking at instead of finding proper eye relief/sight picture while off target and panning to the target. If you practice this often, you will find that you will be able to place the hairs very near the desired point of impact instinctively. Pointability and farmiliarity are key.
Needless to say, triple check to make sure its empty before practicing around the homestead.
Goodluck to you!

·
Banned
378 Posts
I have several different set ups on my pistols. On my Encore 22-250 I have a Weaver 2X8X28 and have no problem with it at all out to 200 yards. I also have a 30-06 barrel for my Encore with a Burris 3X9X32 and do not have any problems out to 200 yards. I put a Leupold EER 2X20 on my S&W500 and I find it difficult to get proper alignment and get blackout a lot. On my Pachmayer Dominator in 35 Rem I have a Bushnell 4X32 and it is very easy to find target and I like it better than my Leupold. But for my revolvers I like red dots. On my Ruger Redhawk I have a Tasco Propoint that does great, I can find target very fast, the only thing I miss is the magnification. I have an Ultra Dot on my BFR in 500MAG and I pick up my target real fast in it. My S&W model 625 sports an Aim Point and it is a great sight. I do have a couple of handguns with Iron sights, but I like some kind of optics to give me a little better chance of making a good shot and seeing game better.

·
Banned
73 Posts
hey jdt,

how about laservision correction. i am going to have one done as soon as i can afford own. oh wait, a cheapest kimber cost more than the operation. haha.

i am pretty young and wear contact lenses. it helps to wear contact lense and still look cool wearing eye protection. however, i can't see well with scopes regardless if i wear contact lense or glasses. i usually just go naked eyes with the scope. i'll need to get my vision correct before i even think about going hunting.

i have a scope mount for my taurus revolver. it is pretty cool. i do not have a scope for it yet and a laser gun can be installed on there. however, i prefer using iron sight for home defense. i don't want to give away my location, but laser can be quite scary for a bad guy when he walks around in the dark in your house and see a red dot on the wall in front of him.

run boy run.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After blowing up 1 conventional scope and 3 red dots due to recoil on SRH and Smith 657. I gavbe up on scopes completely. The about 2 weeks ago a Nikon 2x20 showed up on e-bay and I got it for about 1/2 price. Guaranteed for life so I'm back in the scoped handgun business. I'm going to use the irons for everyday fun and break out the SRH when serious hunting comes along.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Old Jim said:
After blowing up 1 conventional scope and 3 red dots due to recoil on SRH and Smith 657. I gavbe up on scopes completely. The about 2 weeks ago a Nikon 2x20 showed up on e-bay and I got it for about 1/2 price. Guaranteed for life so I'm back in the scoped handgun business. I'm going to use the irons for everyday fun and break out the SRH when serious hunting comes along.
I know what you mean. Put a Burris 2x Posi Lock on my SRH in .480 Ruger. Worked fine until the windage turret unscrewed from the tube! Sent it back to Burris and it has worked fine since. My other .480 has "express" sights, a gold bead front and V-notch rear - never fails. The super blasters are hard on scopes, but the manufacturers are sure to catch up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts