Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bass Pro Shop $139.77 Bushnell 3200 2-7X32 Scope mounted and sling attached(scope base mounted backwards on purpose)

Another sling attached

Girth strap from Co-op for $13.99 & finished sling/carry strap made from one. Chicago screws & swivels came from Academy Sports.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I hope mine looks that nice someday. The wood on yours is outstanding! I like the sling you made too - good idea using the girth strap.

I have a new 336SC with the checkering and that Marlin "tough finish", or whatever it is. It makes the wood look plasticized and doughy. For now, I'm not going to mess with that, but I am going to scope it like yours.

I took an old Weaver K4-1 scope off of my 1894 in .44mag a couple of three days ago. It was mounted for several decades on those see-through scope mounts and, with the scope so high, it was terrible when cheeking it and firing. I cannot explain why I didn't toss those mounts years ago, except that maybe it was because I didn;t shoot the rifle alot and just became lazy and accepted it as it was. Plus, since I had it sighted in with the original sights, and the scope mounts allowed it, I used the sights most of the time when I did take it out.

Anyway, I just need to get a nice base and some low rings and I'll mount the little Weaver on mine. I may have to take a look at the feed store for a strap too!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
It goes around the belly (girth) of the horse to hold on a saddle pad or saddle. One that thin probably came from a saddle pad or maybe a front strap or something.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mr. Swamp,

When I bought my M336-35Rem, I also bought a Speer loading manual. I loaded up some of their 180 gr flatnosed bullets over IMR 3031 (from the manual), and went to the range. I had five different loads each one with a bit more powder in it, and fired five shot groups off the bench. The fourth bunch of cartidges gave me just under 1 3/4 inches at 100 yards, and I stopped there. Short and sweet, I used that load until IMR reformulated the powder!!

My Marlin has been my principle hunting rifle for 37 years. I've never had a reason to regret carrying it in the field.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Swamp,

If you get a chance to pick some up, maybe try Hornady's FTX bullets (200gr). They are the bullet used in the highly-touted Leverevolution ammo. I've been using them, trying several different load configurations and OALs, and the accuracy impresses me. Of the several different loads I've tried with IMR4064 and AA2520, below are the two best loads so far:

- 37.0gr AA2520, Fed210, OAL 2.500", estimated 1950fps = group 1.2"
- 36.4gr IMR4064, Wolf LR, OAL 2.510" estimated 1885fps = group 1.3"

The above groups were shot at 80 yards (not at the range, but at a little alcove in the mountains) with the open sights that come with the rifle. The rest was sandbags on the hood of my truck. I initially thought my little setup was 75 yards, but last time out I measured carefully with a 25' tape (yes it took a little work) and it works out to a tad over 80.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:D man that is a beutty, you must be proud. **** i would be,mine don't look neer that good. i just started working up a load fer mine using 180gr. spr. & imr4895 35gr. worth. that looked liked buckshot @ 60yd.:mad: windy & cold what can i say! anyway you rock!! p.s. thanks for the tip on the sling i'll have to member that one.lol.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan on using the Remington 200 grain Core-Lokts when I can find some more. I have 11 rounds in a box and I don't want to shoot them just yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I see that you have rigged it as a carry strap, Swampman. Does anyone use their sling as a shooting aid, other than as a hasty sling? Anyone use a Whelen sling?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I only use mine as a sling. I've never been able to wrap it and use it as a shooting aid.

I did scope my 336CS though...finally. An old Weaver K4 in Burris rings atop a Weaver one-piece base. Now, I need to get a sling for it.

I used Swampman's idea for this picture - balancing the rifle just in front of the lever. Perfect balance!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts