Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 454 SRH that the scope is slipping  on. I am using the rings supplied by Ruger and 4X Leupold. Rings are as tight as I can make them. Any one else having this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
First off, Avery adhesive labels placed inside each ring half should do the trick. Some have also used powdered Rosin in this area also.

Also, as a last ditch, try placing the front of the scope's turret up against the front ring when mounting the scope.

(I trust the scope has been slipping forward)

FWIW

Ray

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hub,

The fix for slippery scopes is a product made by 3M called Scotchcote. This product was made for the electrical industry. A good hardware stoe should stock it. Apply this to the inside of the rings, avoiding the screw holes at the flat. Attach the scope as normal and remove the excess Scotchcote. Make sure the scope is in the position you want it because this stuff sets up fast. Let this cure overnight and go to work.

The scope can be removed, you haven't superglued it in place, but it will not slip. This works on the heavy rifles and air guns, which really beat the tar out of a scope.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
#Moderation Mode

I moved this thread, as it applies across a wide spectrum of applications in regard to optical sights.  It was moved here to the gunsmithing forum so that it doesn't get lost among the handgun cartridge information!

Good Post and Info!

God Bless

<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=11&topic=1" target="_self">Moved here</a>

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ray,

This product is a primeval goo that comes in a can. As I said it was designed for the electrical industry, I assume to work as a wire coating in extreme situations. A small amount applied to the rings gives a nice "fit" and once it hardens that scope is going nowhere until you tell it to. Another of many tips from my hero Ross Seyfried.

In most cases the adhesive tape will work just fine, but on the heavy caliber rifles and just about any handgun, this would be my choice.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Thanks MT

I'll have to investigate that stuff.

Ah yes, that old Big Bore Masochist. heh,heh

I remember reading Ross' columns back in the mid 80's in G&A. Was an article about heat treating lead bullets and LBT designs. I haven't been the same since.

I think one of his other articles was titled simply, "Can you feel pain?"

What Fun!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've been preaching the virtues of ScotchKote for years.  It is the easiest to appy, 1 drop to one half of the rings, and works better than anything I've tried, tape, rosin, lapping...you name it.  From .309 JDJ to .50 Alaskan handguns, and from .22 LR to .458 and .416 Rigby, this stuff won't let your scope slip.  To remove scope, just pull up on the scope and clean up with acetone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts