Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I recently bought (Midway USA) a B-Square scope mount for my Ruger Blackhawk revolver.  I need a set of rings to be able to set this up.  The mount fits into the rear sight slot on the Blackhawk and clamps to the barrel just in front of the frame.  I'll be trying three cast .45 cal bullets; 250 grain (on hand), some 265 grain Beartooth, and some 300 grain WFN style......some heavy stuff suitable for hunting.

Anyone know what type/style/size rings I need?   Someone have a set of rings for sale?

Thanks,

Lobo Lohr

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
That mounting system may or may not hold up well either failing completely or shifting in recoil. The loads you mention can cause both problems.

The heavier 6-gun loads are pretty tough on scope mounts.

A more permanent installation would be a better idea though I am aware that is probably not an option.

Just be attentive to a possible problem with that mount cropping up in shooting.

The vertical split rings do very well like the Bushnell or Millett types. The Z-rings by Burris tend to slip on an alloy dovetail mount sometimes. I would tend to think a Weaver type ring fits your mount. Install the rings so the cross bolts contact the forward side of the cross cut in the mount. This will tend to eliminate any chance of ring clamping slippage under recoil.

Also, if you go with 2 rings only, get a scope that is of the shorter tube variety to eliminate as much tube flex as possible under recoil.

Regards, Ray

(Edited by Contender at 6:18 pm on Sep. 1, 2001)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Contender,

This is my first excursion with a scope and revolver.  I have a new Bisley Blackhawk cal .45 Colt, and need to do some load development.  If the loads, scope, revolver, and aging eyes get along, I'll go with a heavier duty scope mount as permanent equipment.  I have a 3-screw Blackhawk (.45 Colt) 4 5/8 inch barrel that's my packin' pistol, the new one would be for some special hunts.

Thanks for your input......I was a little suprised when there weren't any rings with the mount.....Midway doesn't list any rings to go with the B-Square products.  I had assumed.............  :)

Later,  

Lobo

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
<a href="http://www.reliablehost.com/bsquare/revolver_full.html

" target="_blank">http://www.reliablehost.com/bsquare/revolver_full.html

</a>
It appears that Weaver type rings will work from the link above.

If you do go for a permanent mount, go with the SSK mount system with 3 rings. That is a 4 screw mount, 2 in the top strap and 2 in the barrel. It will never come off.

Best of luck to you, Ray

·
Banned
169 Posts
I was thinking that they were just standard Weaver rings. Anyway, if you go with a permanent set-up take a look at E. A. Browns base for a Blackhawk. It is like what Contender described from SSK. A friend just got his back and it is very solid and was only &#3650 dollars, Installation was free. Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts