Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again all:

I have a Smith and Wesson model 625-4, model of 1989, it is an N frame revolver, 5", chambered in .45acp. It uses those funny 1/2 & full moon clips to load the ammo. The boys at Smith built it with adjustable rears and a partridge front. It is drilled and tapped from the factory. Having owned this gun for several years now, I can say it is inherently accurate with any ammo it digests.
Maybe I have too much free time, but I've got it in my head that I want to scope the gun. I've just traded an old Ruger stock for a Simmons 2.5-7x pistol scope, and an old shotgun I never used for the Smith Mountain gun in .45acp. (yea, I need another revolver like a......)
My question to the board is which base to use on the gun. C'mon revolver hunters, I know you're out there...What are you using and where did you get it? What's the going cost also?
I do not believe .45acp to be powerful enough to dispatch whitetail,unless inside very close range, but thought it would be good for gophers, snowshoes and an occasional coyote!

Please give me your thoughts!
Thanks,
Chris~

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I cannot make a mount recomendation but I can comment on your scope. It's a good one.
That Simmons 2.5 X 7 is one fine scope. It handles recoil well. From the bench at higher powers it is clear and the adjustments repeat very well. I like that scope. I have seen three or four of them around here and all of the owners are happy with them. Has Simmons quit making them? I have not seen a new one in quite awhile.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry sir,

I cannot answer that:( I traded for it, and yes it is a little older.. It's finished in silver to match the revolver. The gent I got it from used it on a stainless BH.

Do you think .45acp is viable as a "critter" gun!?!;)

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
You bet its a "critter" gun! Loaded with SWC's for the colt it would be even better! Surprising hot much critter a 255 grain .45 cal bullet will penetrate at 700 fps!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
You should be able to get a 255gr. SWC up to around 900fps without any problem. Check the Speer manual for their .45 ACP loads for the 260gr. JHP. Also any +P loads that you can find for that weight of bullet. Might not be real long range but will certainly kill.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small, say 80-100lb Deer??? Out to say 25yds?:confused:

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
m141a,

I've scoped several S&W revolvers. One mount is the T'*** from SSK and used on a Model 29 (required installation by SSK or gunsmith), and the other is a mount made specifically for the S&W and fits using the holes already available. The rear sight is removed and the mount has a lip that fits in the hollow at the rear to assist resisting recoil. This mount is on a Master Hunter 44mag and stays put. I'm sorry that I don't know the manufacturer of the S&W mount (thanks for nothing, huh?).

Dan

·
Registered
311 Posts
m141a,
That's a big deer here.
and yeah, plenty of gun for those circumstances.
Remember the .45 ACP 230gr at 800 fps is considered the best of the "stoppers" in a combat weight handgun.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll post a picture when It's complete!!!!

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's done!

Well here she is!

Have not sighted yet, but I'm sure she'll hit. It's a Leupold mount and rings, a Simmons 2.5-7x scope. Look out critters!:D

Also, the fireaem is not loaded in the pictures; the hammer is back just for effect.

Always have to practice safety First!!!!;) :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Send it to me and I'll sight it in for you. My schedule is rather full and it will probably take me ten years or so to get it back to you.
Good looking rig!!!

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you promise:D to have it back so soon, it's on the way!!!

HA HA HA!!!!!:p

·
Registered
311 Posts
twillis,
My arms are so long that I have exceeded the eye relief on my scope.
Have you ever mounted a scope with both rings ahead of the adjustment area on the scope instead of one in front and one behind?
I'vd never seen it done but hat would let me have another inch or so of eye relief.
This would be on a .44 SRH

·
Banned
1 Posts
scope mount

I have a model 629DX and use a Leupold S&W Classice Silver Mnt w.rings Mount LP45936. It holds the scope very securely using a dove tail system. I have never had any problems with it in the last 8 yrs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Jim, I have not done that or seen it done. I would think the scope flexing would be your biggest problem. Have you taken a look at SSK's T'*** mount. It might have enough ring locations to allow you to move the scope back enough. It is designed for 3 or 4 rings
http://www.sskindustries.com/

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had the same doubts. My fear was that the majority of the weight of the scope would be unsupported and allow a whiplash effect.
I haven't seen the SSK mount but will take a look at it.

·
Banned
57 Posts
lucky for me my de comes with weaver mounts.I have a nikon scope that takes the recoil in stride,even on my 50 ae.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone try a Tasco optima red dot sight on a hand gun? What is your impression. I know Tasco's are not around anymore but other companies are making a simular sight. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts