Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-- This is my first post. I purchased a Marlin 30-30 from Cabela's about 5 years ago, and wondering if anyone has mounted a scope and is happy with the choice and size of the scope. I bought a Simmons but it is just too large for this gun. I like compact scope size on my guns. Please reply only if you've mounted one onto a 30-30 and find it to be ideal setup. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Welcome to Shooters Forum, HNE. :)

Yes, you can definitely scope a Marlin 336 rifle, since they eject to the side. I presume your newer rifle is already drilled and tapped, so all you need to do is decide which brand of scope base and rings you want. Keep in mind that you need clearance for the hammer on your rifle, so you may need mid-height rings, but don't go any higher than you have to or you won't be able to get a good cheek weld on the stock.

You couldn't pay me to put a Simmons scope on one of my rifles. Maybe their top end stuff isn't bad, but I've had too many negative experiences with that brand to trust them. Spend a bit more to get a Vortex, Leupold or Burris...they will cost more, but be well worth it over the life of the gun.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hi All-- This is my first post. I purchased a Marlin 30-30 from Cabela's about 5 years ago, and wondering if anyone has mounted a scope and is happy with the choice and size of the scope. I bought a Simmons but it is just too large for this gun. I like compact scope size on my guns. Please reply only if you've mounted one onto a 30-30 and find it to be ideal setup. Thank you very much.
My choice for the Marlin 336 is the Leupold Ultralight 2.5X mounted in traditional Weaver low rings on a Weaver base. This is the lightest scope, (6.5 ounces). in the lowest ring/base combination available. Ultra-low mounting is important for a rifle stocked for iron sight use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/998758/leupold-fx-ii-ultralight-rifle-scope-25x-20mm

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477189486/weaver-top-mount-scope-base-63b-marlin-36-336-444-1895-9-45-922m

Weaver® 1" Matte Rings – Low : Cabela's

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm with you and like a compact scope of lower magnification for a handy lever rifle. Below is shown a few of my Marlins sporting a couple of my favorite scopes for them. I agree with what has been recommended, especially the Weaver V3 1-3x20. I also like the smaller Leupolds; 2.5X, 1-4 and 1.5-5 models. I own several of the 1-4x20 versions and find them perfect for shots at spitting ranges up to 200 yards. On a Marlin I like a two piece Weaver base (can be reversed for spacing) and Millet Weaver type angle lock rings (low). The Millet rings are on the rifle in the close-up picture in a tree stand.

The two rifles alone, including the close-up pic, have the Weaver V3 and the pics with multiple rifles have both the V3 and Leupold 1-4x20.

Attachments

Reactions: Dan 444

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have an old Hakku Tasco 1.75 X 5 on my Marlin. Similar to TNHunter's set-ups, I consider it as close to the perfect set-up as you can get. Leaving it at the low power setting, you can easily take snap shots close up on moving deer in the woods. This rig has been my primary deer rifle / scope since 1978 or so.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I'm a fan of the Leupold 2.5 I just can't see using a variable on a rifle like this and the fact of the matter is, I never used that feature when I had one on the gun. Sold it and put the 2.5 on and it's just perfect for this type of gun. A good field of view, a bit of magnification, small, and light weight. Perfect fit on a lever gun.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I like the fixed power scopes. I have an old Weaver K-2. On my .444 Timber rifle. Has worked well on several rifles and this on for years. This one has a 5 min. lee Dot and is a great rifle for close hunting when the deer are in motion.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Nothing wrong with fixed power scopes, I have ~ 5 of my lever guns scoped with 2.5, 2.75, 3 and even a 4X scope. But for me, the variables are best. I carry the rifle at 1X and can easily use it with both eyes open like that and I love the added FOV at very close ranges. Sitting, I set them at 2-2.5X as I also do with many of my bolt guns (unless overlooking a rare open area). And, at the range I can shoot very well with 3-4X @ 100 yards.

Lots of scopes to choose from and lots of ways hunters like to set them up for their own best results.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I have an old Hakku Tasco 1.75 X 5 on my Marlin. Similar to TNHunter's set-ups, I consider it as close to the perfect set-up as you can get. Leaving it at the low power setting, you can easily take snap shots close up on moving deer in the woods. This rig has been my primary deer rifle / scope since 1978 or so.
If this is the scope from the late 1980' through middle 90's this was a very underrated scope. At one time I had several on small game rifles. The only problem I ever had was one scope had a power change ring which would get a bit sticky when the temp dropped below freezing.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
+1 small gun & small scope

IMO at (extreme close range), say 10 yards, a 2 1/2 power MAY be too much. If you are going to go to a variable, a 1-4, 1.5-5 make the most sense to me. WHY NOT have that low end advantage? A 2x7 could work well also. I have all 3 of the above in Leupolds & RARELEY take them off the lowest settings. But they are mounted on bolts/ shotgun/muzzleloader. MY levers have open sights. :D TEHO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with the hunters who like low power scopes low mounted on the rifle. Two of my Marlins have 1.5 and 1.75 variables with weaver mounts and rings. I hunt Virginia's mountains and woods and shoot with both eyes. Snap shots at close and fast deer are common. These rigs work extremely well for me and I am an energetic old timer. My granddaughter's new husband hit the woods for his first deer hunt with my Marlin on 1.5 and put down an 8 point with his first ever shot 30 minutes into opening day. He now thinks a 336 with a 1.5 variable is a perfect setup. He is hooked and he thinks his beginner's luck will work every time. We'll see.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,135 Posts
2x7 Leupold works for me. 2.5x8 if you are going to hunt pigs at night ;)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Lots or good choices here and no one answer. We're lucky there are so many good scopes out there to make all of us have the "perfect" choice. I think most would agree a smaller scope on a smaller gun works well. The power choice is up to the person who's using it depending on the terrain where it's being used. My only parting comment it: don't buy a really cheap scope. You kind of get what you pay for.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
IMO at (extreme close range), say 10 yards, a 2 1/2 power MAY be too much. If you are going to go to a variable, a 1-4, 1.5-5 make the most sense to me. WHY NOT have thatu low end advantage? A 2x7 could work well also. I have all 3 of the above in Leupolds & RARELEY take them off the lowest settings. But they are mounted on bolts/ shotgun/muzzleloader. MY levers have open sights. :D TEHO.
I agree. Shooting deer in heavy brush is difficult. Open sights on average, promote shooting over or at least high.
Receiver or tang sights work well with a big bead.
I switched to the forward mount scope on my Model 94 Trapper. With both eyes open this is a a good sight at 2.5x. Maximum.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I've fallen in love with a 1-4 scope with #4 and illuminated center dot for the really short range stuff. It acts like a red dot sight @ 1X and allows for excellent accuracy to 150-200 yards. Most, unfortunately are not really compact like the OP wanted and can also get pricy pretty quickly.

Vortex makes one for about $250 that's pretty compact tho.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have several that would be suitable.

Though all are Leupolds, there are other brands that are quite serviceable, I just happen to be familiar with Leupold and like their products.

Scopes that I have are the 2.5X20 FX-II Ultralight, VX-2 1-4X20, VX-3i 1.5-5X20, and the VX-2 2-7X33 CDS.

The Ultralight is indestructible and has 3 truckloads of eye relief, so it gets used on a .45-70 with heavy big-bullet loads. Being an Ultralight, it seems to compromise the eyebox somewhat but it's not a deal-breaker. It has a fair field of view for a low-power scope, but is, again, very usable in the woods. A lot of people like this scope with the heavy duplex reticle. I personally prefer the Wide Duplex.

The VX-3i 1.5-5X20 is also used on the .45-70, but with lighter loads, though it has enough eye relief for use with the heaviest one would use in a .45-70. The advantage I see over the Ultralight is wider field of view at short range and a more accommodating eyebox, though it's slightly longer and heavier.

VX-2 1-4X20...This is on my .44 mag rifle, and this scope is plain just hard to beat in the woods. More field of view, slightly smaller and lighter than the VX-3i, great glass, and same accommodating eyebox as the 3i. This is my favorite for a straight-up woods rifle.

VX-2 2-7X33 cds...A very versatile scope, and with the cds option, it's easier to take the longer shots without having to guess holdover. It has a very usable field of view for close shots, and more magnification for the longer shots. This scope is on a very accurate .308 Carbine I have, and though a little bigger than I care for in a woods scope, it is still physically small. I think it's the most versatile one of the scopes I've listed.

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
It depends what you prefer

My Marlin .30/30 and .35 Rem. lever action rifles are outfitted with 4X Bausch & Lomb scopes. The used to have 2 1/2 power scopes, but those scopes are now mounted on slug guns. I agree there are many choices so it depends what works for you and where you hunt. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
61 Posts
I put a scope on a friend's Win 94. I had borrowed it and the scope he had on it decided to fall apart so I replaced it. When I got my own 94 I put an aperture sight on it until I sold it. My next rifle is likely a Marlin 336. Will probably go with an aperture sight again.

I own both the Weaver V3 and Leupold 2.5x20. Either one is good, but I like the Weaver better. The Leupy has the heavy reticle which actually is better in low light. Like another poster said, I prefer the wide duplex with the narrower inner cross hairs.

If you are looking for a fixed power, either the 2.5x20 or a Weaver K4 would work well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts