Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was first asking about weatherproof stock alternatives for my newly acquired browning 71 in 450 Alaskan. Still could use input there. Now I'm looking at options for putting a weaver base on it so I can set my Zeiss reflex sight on top. A standard barrel- mounted scout type setup is the most obvious but I'm wondering if there is any reason why a guy couldn't attach it to the base to the bolt itself. After taping the sight on in various places, I like it in the back best. There seems to be adequate material for screws to hold on either side of the extractor so why not?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The rear of the bolt top is where I installed a short Weaver base ( for a Browning BAR, IIRC) so I could mount a short AR-type 2x scope (Beeman SS1) on a .375 Winchester BigBore 94, maybe 20 years ago.

The reflex sight ought to weigh about a third of what that small scope did.

What I did was make a small cardboard template of the bolt top contour there, and take the template with me to a well-stocked funshop, where I picked through their stock of Weaver bases until I found one that fit.

IIRC, Dick's Sporting Goods and WallyWorld also have a fair stock of various bases, too.

If there's not much near you in AK, I would call Brownell's tech, and ask if you could mail them the template for a match/purchase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.