Shooters Forum banner

Scored an A5 Trunk Case

436 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  WinMike
Stopped into one of my more dangerous LGS' yesterday, and it bit me again. I spied an old A5 shotgun but the tag said there was a case and a spare barrel. So I made an offer on the case/barrel, and she's mine now. Here she is with my 1974 A5 (last year Belgian). Spare barrel has been fitted with a Poly Choke, which is kinda cool; I have always wanted to play with one of those, and they're so period correct for the gun anyhow.

Gonna be even more fun taking the old A5 to the sporting clays league this week.

Here's the outside of the case. There was an original manual from the 1960's, a Poly Choke instruction manual, spare friction rings (for a Magnum), and the keys are still in the unopened wax paper.
Brown Wood Material property Rectangle Everyday carry

Here she is with the NOS 1974 Belgian looking all cool.
Musical instrument Bag Wood Tool Knife

I gave my Citori to my son, now I have a cool case like he does.
Brown Product Bag Luggage and bags Wood
See less See more
Reactions: 4
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Nice!
Will that barrel mate up without any fitting?
I have mine broke down and bundled up in a large beach towel to fit in the safe.
Is yours a 3" Gun? & What do you have on the butt end ?
Great find but watch out for the handles. They're a solid plastic that becomes brittle with age. Its' common for them to break.
Reactions: 1
Nice!
Will that barrel mate up without any fitting?
I have mine broke down and bundled up in a large beach towel to fit in the safe.
Is yours a 3" Gun? & What do you have on the butt end ?
When it comes to Japanese and most Belgian guns, the barrels are interchangeable as long as they’re the later barrels with the sliding ejector. The extra barrel fits both of my A5’s and I expect it will work perfectly, like they always do.

For Savage, Remington, etc, they can also be made to work at times, but they have to be milled for a sliding ejector, and there are some other fitting areas that can sometimes be a challenge.

The butt is a leather slip on recoil pad from Pachmayr

A5’s were always sold without a recoil pad to emphasize the recoil reducing qualities of the long recoil design. Since my 1974 Belgian is basically new, I won’t cut it for a recoil pad, so I use the nice little leather slip on. I don’t need a pad, but I need a bit more length of pull on an A5 (or most any shotgun) because I big, long monkey arms. I have one on my 20 ga Remington as well. By doing that I get a bit more versatility out of the guns, because friends or family can shoot my guns and it fits them better without the pad since they tend to not have my monkey arms. Just this weekend, I introduced my assistant at work to Trap shooting with the Remington because she was afraid of recoil. That 20ga weighs as much as a Light 12, so recoil is pretty much non-existent. Took the recoil pad off, it fit her better and she had a great time.

Here’s a look at the guns and pads. The 1961 was already cut for a pad, so I just put a newer one on and added a 1/4" spacer I had laying around. That's my Trap gun. The middle one is the brand new 1974 gun with the Pachmayr pad, and the one on the right is a 1947 Sportsman's 20, with a similar pad I picked up on Amazon. I kind like those removable pads. Extra length, smooth to the shoulder, and actually soft. Not bad for a non-permanent accessory.
Wood Gun accessory Everyday carry Composite material Gun barrel
See less See more
Reactions: 5
I have several of those cases as well, my wife has the one with the leather straps and buckles for her grade 2 28ga Citori, she's crazy about it, treats it like it's gold plated.
I don't use them much anymore since getting the Boyt's takedown soft cases for my O/U's.
Those A5's are beautiful guns.
Reactions: 1
Years ago, I was invited to a Seattle area duck club. Almost all the members used A-5s or Remingtons. Over half or more also had Poly-Chokes; of course those days were pre-screw-in chokes.

Always thought Poly-Chokes kind of screwed up the lines of a nice shotgun, but they sure were popular. And you're right: they represent an era.
Reactions: 2
1 - 6 of 6 Posts