Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought two new handguns recently.

They’re two I’ve wanted for a long while but never got around to getting. With current madness in the firearm market... I just went ahead and bought both of them with a bunch of spare mags and a couple cases of ammo as well as some accessories.

I picked up a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1. That’s a mouthful! I got one in OD green. My LGS received it today but I won’t be able to pick it up till as late as Monday or so. Sad about that but it is what it is!

The other one is a similar type of firearm. A Grand Power Stribog. This is a hard to find one as is and an online vendor for a few in stock. I quickly grabbed it as, what are the odds? It will be a couple weeks of longer before I get this one. With everything going on it could be held up at UPS or whatever for a while.

Pictures will come as I get both! Everyone stay inside and stay well as much as you can!

I had a recent scare. Me and my dad both got sick. Turns out we just had Contracted Strep throat somehow! But all better now. Boy do people freak out right now when you talk and have a raspy voice! I felt like some of them were about to hold up a cross and try to banish me! Lol

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Glad you weren't lynched for having a raspy throat. It's getting crazy out there, and Covid hasn't even started yet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I put one together a few years ago with a Shockwave folding brace. It's fun, accurate and reliable. Since this was taken, I have a light and a can to put on it too. ;)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put one together a few years ago with a Shockwave folding brace. It's fun, accurate and reliable. Since this was taken, I have a light and a can to put on it too. ;)

I like that!

I’ve got a SB tactical brace coming tomorrow for this one!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If you like your scorpion, you should check out the Stribog from grand power.

They’re about $100-200 cheaper than the scorpion right now if you can find one. They have excellent reviews. Should be able to find one for $650-750.

Or if you want to wait, grand power has a new roller delayed model they’re about to bring into the USA. Roller delayed is the same operating system that H&K uses on the MP5 that gives it such a nice recoil impulse.

The new roller delayed Stribog will have a higher price tag though. Around $100-200 more than the scorpion. Supposedly around $1000.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting gun and I like the colors, how's the triggers?
The scorpion has a bad trigger. So to say...

With a brace or stock, the gun shoots far better than any normal pistol.

The trigger feels kind of like a milspec AR trigger. It has an almost DA feeling pull but with shorter travel. It has no “wall” to speak of. It is smooth though!

Upon inspection of the trigger, it is a very unique combination of designs. The safety is stolen from an AR15, the trigger, disconnector, and sear are all copies of the Soviet kalashnikov rifles. And it’s all in a removable “trigger pack” like an H&K gun.

The trigger is actually a really cool combo of many different firearm designs!

The charging handle is directly taken from the H&K MP5.

The iron sights are very nice. Magazines are very cheap.

I got the brace today. Our governor just shut down the state so I wanted to go shoot while I can! I had an average group size at 30 yards of 1.5” with the red dot. At 100 yards I could consistently ring a torso sized target. At 200 it did have a good bit of drop and was starting to pick up substantial wind drift. But I could still connect on a full scale ram silhouette at 200 yards very consistently. 100 and in, it’s a very nice firearm to have.

It has eaten everything I’ve fed it without complaints so far. 124gr Speer lawman, 124gr Speer gold dot, 147gr Speer gold dot G2, 115gr Fiocchi FMJ, 115gr wwb, 124gr sig V crown, 115gr UMC, and 124gr Winchester pdx-1. All worked fine. I am having some problems with aftermarket manufactured magazines. But I’m sorting that out. 2 of the 6 magazines work fine. 2 are definitely bad.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting gun and I like the colors, how's the triggers?
The Stribog has a great trigger from what I’m told. Sadly it only comes in one color. Anodized black!

Mine will be out for delivery on Wednesday. Tuesday (tomorrow) is the last day for “non-essential” business to be open. So I’m going to call the shop tomorrow to see if they will have someone there to receive packages on Wednesday.

MAYBE, they will do a transfer for me because that is not a “retail sale”. Fingers crossed!

Otherwise, that gun is going to sit at UPS, or hopefully at the gun shop for who know how long!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After about 250 rounds downrange with the scorpion.

From the way it shoots, it’s size, and muzzle report. I don’t think you could pick a better home defense or personal defensive weapon.

It’s very controllable and accurate. You can maneuver it through hallways and doorways because of its size. It has less report than any rifle, shotgun, and even less than a normal pistol. Easy to put a flashlight on. Easy to put an optic on. Magazine capacities of 10, 15, 20, 30, 32, and 50.

I’m pulling off around 4”-7” group size at 100 yards with it using a red dot with 7.5 moa triangle reticle. It’s very hard to miss something inside 50 yards. A lot of fun at the outdoor pistol range.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Scorpion trigger is heavy but manageable. The biggest complaint is the ambidextrous safety and how it rubs against your trigger finger. Both issues are fixable.

The Stribog looks really cool but if I was to get another it would be the PSA AK variant. Might not have anything to offer over the Scorpion or Stribog but I really like `em. I got one of their AK's recently and it's completely turned me around on them.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-v-9mm-moe-triangle-folding-pistol-plum.html

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I'd love to have a real MP5, the ergonomics of one is perfect for me, it's the only full auto I've shot that stays on the target, hit's where you naturally point.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Scorpion trigger is heavy but manageable. The biggest complaint is the ambidextrous safety and how it rubs against your trigger finger. Both issues are fixable.

The Stribog looks really cool but if I was to get another it would be the PSA AK variant. Might not have anything to offer over the Scorpion or Stribog but I really like `em. I got one of their AK's recently and it's completely turned me around on them.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-v-9mm-moe-triangle-folding-pistol-plum.html

Well. The PSA AK in 9mm also uses CZ scorpion evo magazines. So you wouldn’t have to stock up on two different style magazines.

Kind of cool.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'd love to have a real MP5, the ergonomics of one is perfect for me, it's the only full auto I've shot that stays on the target, hit's where you naturally point.
Semi auto MP5’s are out there but you’re looking at a minimum of around $1400+ for one.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/102282/ptr+91ct9mm+886+threaded+barrel+mlok+handguard+2+30rd

The PTR is made here in the USA. It’s a great firearm. Around $1600-1700 but you get a really cool case with them. Another $100-200 for a pistol brace.

H&K is importing the semi auto version of the real Mp5 as well. It’s very expensive and hard to find. But it’s out there and still being imported by H&K!

If you hit it big in the lottery or whatever, the PTR is H&K full auto pack ready. So find you a transferable select fire pack and you can drop it in the ptr and roll! Last full auto pack I saw went for like $35K! I saw one a few years ago for $16k or so that included the belt fed 5.56 H&K rifle. I regret not buying it!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Dad got one of those Zenith knock-off MP5's. I didn't expect much but it's actually pretty cool and so far it's run 100%. I ordered him a pistol brace but don't think he ever put it on.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Semi auto MP5’s are out there but you’re looking at a minimum of around $1400+ for one.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/102282/ptr+91ct9mm+886+threaded+barrel+mlok+handguard+2+30rd

The PTR is made here in the USA. It’s a great firearm. Around $1600-1700 but you get a really cool case with them. Another $100-200 for a pistol brace.

H&K is importing the semi auto version of the real Mp5 as well. It’s very expensive and hard to find. But it’s out there and still being imported by H&K!

If you hit it big in the lottery or whatever, the PTR is H&K full auto pack ready. So find you a transferable select fire pack and you can drop it in the ptr and roll! Last full auto pack I saw went for like $35K! I saw one a few years ago for $16k or so that included the belt fed 5.56 H&K rifle. I regret not buying it!
The scorpion CraigC put together sort of looks like a MP5, thinking it might be a more affordable alternative.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The scorpion CraigC put together sort of looks like a MP5, thinking it might be a more affordable alternative.
Here is mine in it’s finished configuration!

And yes, the charging handle on the CZ is stolen from the H&K roller lock weapon systems. But the CZ does have a last round hold open and a bolt release switch for reloads.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I got the stribog this afternoon!

The build quality is identical to that of the scorpion. Excellent. They’re both made in the same area of the world. The CZ in the Czech Republic, the Grand power in Slovakia. This is a very solid PDW. It has a similar look and feel to the FNH SCAR rifles or the CZ BREN rifles. Which is a very good layout.

It is a solid monolithic aluminum upper on the stribog vs solid polymer on the scorpion, although the stribog is definitely better balanced and around the same weight.

The trigger is excellent. It’s still a milspec feeling trigger but it puts any milspec AR15 trigger I’ve used to shame. They did a great job on the trigger for a tactical pdw. Supposedly the stribog will work with some AR15 triggers but not all of them.

I will have to give a range report after I go and out a couple hundred rounds through it!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts