Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents –

I wonder if any of you Shooters Forum folks can give me some advice. I have a Taylor's (Chiappa) 1892 Alaskan Takedown in .44 Magnum. It has quite a nice set of Skinner peep sites, but my aging eyes are starting to beg me to put a scope on it. The scope would be long eye relief, mounted forward in "scout rifle" configuration.

I could use some advise on the scope, but my primary concern is mounting it. The octagonal barrel is drilled in what the folks at Skinner call an "old Weaver pattern". The hole spacing for each of the rings is .860". I've not been able to track down a set of rings that will mount directly on an octagonal barrel with that spacing. I could have a piece of Picatinny rail cut and drilled and use Picatinny rings, but I'd prefer to avoid the weight and bulk. I assume that someone does make direct mount rings. The Taylor's web site shows the rifle with a scope (perhaps a Burris) mounted on what appear to be direct mount rings. I've measured the drill pattern and confirmed it with Skinner. I put drawing, along with some stock images of the rifle, on the web here: 1892 Alaskan.

Any idea what I can do for rings for this thing? Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Might not help , but awhile back we mounted a scout scope on the round barrel model by useing the old weaver gunsmith mount, it allowed us to use the standard weaver rings

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Welcome to the Forum !

AFAIK, the only readily-available scope rings that mount directly on a bbl or receiver w/o needing separate bases is the now-discontinued Williams Gun Sight Co's Streamlined Top Mount Scope Rings. (They show up on E-Bay, from time to time)

That's presuming you don't want the much higher see-through/sight-through rings, which Williams also made.

Williams made the Streamlined rings to fit many different rifles, including with flat bases for any octagon barrel - but rings meant for a Marlin 336 (which has a flat-top receiver) could be adapted.

You might have to either re-drill one of the mounting holes in the lower ring half to match your hole spacing, or D/T a single new hole for each base, in the appropriate position - or if it's your lucky day, the Williams hole spacing might match your rifle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check with Weaver they make a mount in alum and steel I believe its the #61 and has the .860 hole spacing, run a pair of burris signature rings with the inserts on your favorite scout scope, weaver makes a 4x burris makes a 23/4x and leupold makes a 21/2x . Find out if you need 6-48 or 8-40 screws for the barrel. danny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts